Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What is the best Brighton goal you have ever seen live?...

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
I remember sitting just behind the South stand goal at the Goldstone as a teenager watching that incident. Wondered what he was up to. The young Rovers goalkeeper rolled the ball out to kick it up field and then it all became clear. Recall it being used on a Question of Sport shortly afterwards. Amazing to think that apparently Ian Botham was on a million pounds an episode at the time.

I was in the south stand too, the funny thing was all the Rovers fans screaming desperately " Behind you, look behind you!!" I remember their keeper saying that he didn't look behind him because he thought it was the Brighton fans winding him up! One of my favourite football moments ever.

el punal

Wow! Choices, choices. In over 50 years of Albion watching I've seen a few, and does best = most important? Anyway these are my top equal selections:

Ken Beamish - an absolute belter of a shot against Rotherham during injury time to give us a 2-1 win. This was to be a giant step to gaining promotion from Division 3 back in 1972.

Peter Ward (who else?) when we played Millwall at the Den in 1977/78 season. With his back to goal, received a through ball, turned on a sixpence, left Barry Kitchener for dead and ran on forty yards to slot home. 1-0, sublime.

Jimmy Case - THAT free kick in the cup semi-final against Sheffield Wednesday.

Leo Ulloa - for absolute let's all go completely mental goal celebrations, his winning header against Forest in injury time to put us into the 2014 play offs.

Of course, there are still loads more!

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
Vicente against Derby, best non-goal ever. And, if it had gone in, best goal too. Probably the most sublime bit of football I have seen from a player wearing the stripes.

Actual goal: Zamora at Bury, perfectly placed to see it roll down the back of the net, which made me aware of the fact that being in a certain position in the ground can shape your perception of the quality of a goal.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Vicente against Derby, best non-goal ever. And, if it had gone in, best goal too. Probably the most sublime bit of football I have seen from a player wearing the stripes.

That was my lad's first game. I told him not to bother coming again as he would never see anything like it from a Brighton player ever again. He was quite right to ignore me (although he is still waiting).

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
- Ulloa's 2nd/our 3rd against Palace on St Patrick's Day - superb team goal.

- Skalak's thunderbolt against QPR, a different kind of goal to the above, but superb in its own way.

I have to also mention Vicente's non-goal against Derby - never seen anything like that from an Albion player before or since.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Bert Murray v Swansea
Brian Bromley v Tranmere
John Templeman v Rochdale
Willie Irvine v Villa at home .
Kit Napier v Bradford City
Alan Duffy v Bradford City on debut
Every Peter Ward goal
Mark Lawrenson v Wolves
so many over the years without touching the early sixties and the 70's on

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
Peter Ward against Derby at the Goldstone 1976 League Cup.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Bert Murray v Swansea
Brian Bromley v Tranmere
John Templeman v Rochdale
Willie Irvine v Villa at home .
Kit Napier v Bradford City
Alan Duffy v Bradford City on debut
Every Peter Ward goal
Mark Lawrenson v Wolves
so many over the years without touching the early sixties and the 70's on

I wanted to mention the Brian Bromley goal but couldn't remember who it was against. Of course "Every Peter Ward goal" was a good one too

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
CKR against Sheff Utd. 3-0 down and he ran from halfway line and smashed it in. Remember it as a pretty decent goal

Also, our third against Sheff Wed (I think Buckley scored it) a few years ago. It was a night match and Bruno played a beautiful ball over the top leading up to it

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I was at about half a dozen of the goals previously mentioned, but the one that gave me the most visceral reaction was the most recent, that being Skalak's thunderb*****d.

To me, it's quite something for a goal to make a 'world weary', nearer 50 than 40 something bloke, feel, act and behave like the kid watching Wilkins or Munday's goals has to set it apart from the rest.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
I think it was Stuart munday who scored a volley away to Brentford. Corner chipped to edge of box and he hit it first time on volley from about 25 yards into top corner.

Skalak v QPR
JFC v Southampton
Ulloa v palace (2nd)
Jimmy case v sheffvwed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here