Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Major train disruption at Brighton

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
2 further incidents of people being killed by trains so far today, including a shocking incident at Slough where a woman and child were killed in "suspicious" circumstances.

And i further agree with the comments that the railway isnt being ran by people in the railway anymore. Those who actually have the experience are just being forced out, the new "breed" if you like are almost too scared to face the public......and also have no idea what to do in times of disruption, which contributes to frontline staff either not getting information or getting wrong information.

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
With the numbers of people choosing to jump in front of trains these days, i wonder whether there should be posters and announcements made on platforms and carriages telling people that if they feel suicidal travelling on British Rail that there are organisations such as The Samaritans who can help...if the staff and rail companies cannot.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
With the numbers of people choosing to jump in front of trains these days, i wonder whether there should be posters and announcements made on platforms and carriages telling people that if they feel suicidal travelling on British Rail that there are organisations such as The Samaritans who can help...if the staff and rail companies cannot.

There are Samaritans posters on almost every platform on the network

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne

Posters are now up in a Network Rail partnership with the Samaritans at most stations now, but when your feeling in such a way - it may not make a difference, but its a start. Its one of those things you dont want to keep mentioning it and bringing it to peoples attention, as if someone who is in a bad place gets the idea of it in their head, then they could end up doing it.

Preventative measures are being made at locations where suicides are common, like putting barriers up to prevent access to "fast" lines and increasing staff on platforms, but there really is only so much you can do. An attempt to jump was prevented by rail staff at Wimbledon yesterday morning, however, someone did jump later that evening, someone has also been talked out of it in Somerset this afternoon. It seems like it is the time of the year for it unfortunately. 11 people killed or seriously injured in 4 days.

Ive seen it happen myself, it really isnt a nice sight to see of course. I've also talked someone out of doing it a year ago. Personally, I cant imagine what these people have been going through to see this as an option.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I think if someone is that desperate to end it, no end of anti-suicide measures on railways will stop them. They'll just go and find some other means, the only difference would be less train disruption.

People have jumped off motorway bridges before (there's one on the M23 in Surrey that's a regrettably well known spot). The bridge over the A22 in East Grinstead has been the site of two or three suicides in recent years too :nono:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Posters are now up in a Network Rail partnership with the Samaritans at most stations now, but when your feeling in such a way - it may not make a difference, but its a start. Its one of those things you dont want to keep mentioning it and bringing it to peoples attention, as if someone who is in a bad place gets the idea of it in their head, then they could end up doing it.

Preventative measures are being made at locations where suicides are common, like putting barriers up to prevent access to "fast" lines and increasing staff on platforms, but there really is only so much you can do. An attempt to jump was prevented by rail staff at Wimbledon yesterday morning, however, someone did jump later that evening, someone has also been talked out of it in Somerset this afternoon. It seems like it is the time of the year for it unfortunately. 11 people killed or seriously injured in 4 days.

Ive seen it happen myself, it really isnt a nice sight to see of course. I've also talked someone out of doing it a year ago. Personally, I cant imagine what these people have been going through to see this as an option.

People need to consider their own reactions too. Not so long ago our train pulled in to Hove and just stopped. The doors were kept open and eventually people could see the issue was a young woman just standing on the tracks on the opposite platform. Obviously the power went off while medical and police professionals tried to deal with her but the reaction of a small minority of passengers was disgusting. Everything from tutting at her to one bloke who was basically urging her to do herself in, just somewhere else. "Come on love, I've got to be somewhere" was another of his. Obviously one of the coppers had to move from dealing with her to dealing with him. With the power off and no trains moving she was fairly quickly talked up. This was a Friday evening. The following Monday someone jumped for real at Hassocks. I have no idea if it was her of course but I had thought to keep an eye out for incidents in that area over the next few days. Someone already unstable being treated like that by a number of other bystanders just can't help.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
People need to consider their own reactions too. Not so long ago our train pulled in to Hove and just stopped. The doors were kept open and eventually people could see the issue was a young woman just standing on the tracks on the opposite platform. Obviously the power went off while medical and police professionals tried to deal with her but the reaction of a small minority of passengers was disgusting. Everything from tutting at her to one bloke who was basically urging her to do herself in, just somewhere else. "Come on love, I've got to be somewhere" was another of his. Obviously one of the coppers had to move from dealing with her to dealing with him. With the power off and no trains moving she was fairly quickly talked up. This was a Friday evening. The following Monday someone jumped for real at Hassocks. I have no idea if it was her of course but I had thought to keep an eye out for incidents in that area over the next few days. Someone already unstable being treated like that by a number of other bystanders just can't help.

Unfortunately, your always going to get people like that. Personally, Id rather get home 90 minutes late with someone still alive, than on time with someone dead but some dont think like that. After the said incident I saw, there were a handful of people who were kicking off that they were delayed and one said trains shouldnt stop for anything, especially a person, fortunately most had no issue with being delayed. Cant understand their mentality myself, if your late for something - im pretty bloody sure the people at the other end will understand and be alright with it.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Really ? I've never noticed one in 25 years of commuting

More common now than they used to be. Had them for years at Beachy Head. They have them on the cliff tops over Brighton Marina top.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
What I find particularly depressing about this thread is that it was only just over a year ago that we found out that one of these 'jumpers' was one of ours, someone that a lot of people on NSC knew personally. At the time there was a lot of reflection about the state of mind that Roy was in and how it would teach people to be more sympathetic to those unfortunate people who saw no other way out. About 15 months on and we're seeing, yet again, moans about selfishness. Have we learned nothing?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here