Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Internet Banking

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Try sending a secure message online. Makes it easier to be clear what the issue is and get a full considered response.

I did, several times. Not one person would admit it was the bank's fault.
When I spoke to a human, I got an apology, a written apology and compensation.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
My bank allows me to cash cheques with my phone. It's called mobile cheque imaging on the app. All you need to do is take a photo.

I would imagine all major banking apps have this facility?

I hate to say it, but internet banking DOES beat a human. 24 hour convenience from any device.

There is also the possibility the human could be a bell-end. Computers are rarely such.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
My step dad hasn’t even got a mobile phone, let alone any knowledge of things “on line”. He won’t even use the hole in the wall and doesn’t like to have a lot of cash on him. His solution is to go into the bank every day and withdraw at least a tenner in cash. It gives him something to do and keeps a cashier in a job!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Very true of course.

My first job was in a call centre, dealing with complaints, so have an understanding how they work. It is very easy to escalate over the phone if you know what to say. I appreciate that others might struggle to get things done this way though.

Top tips for phone complaints - Never be rude or raise your voice, the agent is far less likely to help you if they don't like you. If you're not happy, say you're not happy and would like to speak to someone else... They will either try harder, or actually put you through to someone else. Never say "you want to speak to someone from England", as they will be trained to try to deal with this common request. If you are still not getting the desired outcome, threaten (calmly) to leave the service and explain why - or passively hint that you are discussing this on a social media group even if you're not.

Customer satisfaction, business and PR - make them feel that these things are at risk and the agent will go above and beyond to help you resolve your issue... or put you through to someone who can. Never appear angry or unreasonable, as they are trained to deal with this and are more likely to give you the "sorry, but..." and the scripted responses, as they are only human and the adrenalin will kick in.

I know exactly how call centres work. I worked for an electricity company for 25 years. After 3 days of messing about with online chats, secure messages & phone calls whilst I could have been on the beach, I resolved the issue with a human.

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
I did, several times. Not one person would admit it was the bank's fault.
When I spoke to a human, I got an apology, a written apology and compensation.

Maybe, just maybe, they wanted to get rid of you and it wasn’t actually their fault. One could sympathise

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
I bank with an internet bank. They are first class and I wouldn't bank anywhere else. They always promised we could pay in cheques at a branch with a major bank.

Now they have closed so many branches that I now have to pay them in at the post office. But just try paying some cash for a credit card bill!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Maybe, just maybe, they wanted to get rid of you and it wasn’t actually their fault. One could sympathise

That's why I got two apologies & compensation? A strange way of wanting to get rid of someone by giving good service when challenged.
You just cannot admit that a human could be better than s computer.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Starting to feel it's compulsory.

Lunchtime trip to the bank went a bit like this .....

Me – I would like to transfer £Blah amount from my account to Blah’s account please.

Cashier – Do you do internet banking?

Me – No

Cashier – have you thought about it?

Me – Yes.

Cashier – Would you like me to go through internet banking with you?

Me – No thank you.

Cashier – Do you use the internet?

Me – Um …. Yes I do (smirk)

Cashier – If you do internet banking you wouldn’t have to waste time coming to the bank (sugary smile)

Me – I like coming to the bank (big smile).

It is an amazing " Turkeys voting for Christmas " scenario, I had similar last year for my annual review where my bank say they want to help my finances. "Expert" woman was joyfully extolling the virtues of the internet and the phone app for banking saying I had to do this despite it quite obviously putting her branch at risk of closure due to reduced footfall ! She must have been on some kind of bonus.

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
There is absolutely no reason to visit a branch other than to confirm your identity. Complaints are better dealt with over the phone.

If you have a couple of weeks to spare First press 1 etc,etc then select a question which does not cover your query,then wait whilst you are transferred to another extension................

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
They admitted their mistake in my letter.
Oh I'm sure there was a mistake, just not necessarily the one they suggested was the problem. 'system upgrade' is a bit like Southern Rail's 'operational issue'. Main aim is always to get the complaint closed off asap, so as long as the customer can be satisfied (usually an apology and a few quid) any old bollocks might be spouted to follow a path of least resistance.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I work for a bank, but don't have my accounts with the bank I work for. I genuinely can't remember the last time I set foot in the bank that my accounts are with.......do everything via the app.

Many moons ago I worked for Lloyds and it was compulsary to have my pay put into a Lloyds account. I assume this isn't a requirement anymore ?

As for internet banking - why wouldn't you use it. Love the Lloyds app.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I'm one of those annoying, hypocritical people who moans about banks closing and the loss of jobs etc but never actually go in a branch as I find internet banking so convenient. My app is fantastic.

Which is fine until you have a problem or issue that internet banking can’t deal with. We had to set up a executor’s account recently and because so few in the bank knew the procedures along the way it took forever to get anywhere with the bank. Even getting internet access to the account for all executors took a month. It’s exacerbated by the lack of staff and a dependency on the internet - noone seems to be trained properly any more. They like to offer services but are finding it increasingly diificult to provide them.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Many moons ago I worked for Lloyds and it was compulsary to have my pay put into a Lloyds account. I assume this isn't a requirement anymore ?

As for internet banking - why wouldn't you use it. Love the Lloyds app.

Me too - started with Lloyds at 18. The branch sub-manager had to review all staff entries every morning to make sure everyone was acting within the rules etc. Hasn’t been a requirement for at least 20 years now though - I’ve stayed with Lloyds even though I left there in 2000 and worked for 3 banks since.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Which is fine until you have a problem or issue that internet banking can’t deal with. We had to set up a executor’s account recently and because so few in the bank knew the procedures along the way it took forever to get anywhere with the bank. Even getting internet access to the account for all executors took a month. It’s exacerbated by the lack of staff and a dependency on the internet - noone seems to be trained properly any more. They like to offer services but are finding it increasingly diificult to provide them.

Noone, Craig?

Before he worked in banking, he played for the Albion & Cardiff.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Correct, sadly. When I started, I was in a mid-sized branch in the country. I reckon at least 20 out of the 30 staff could have walked through setting up an Executor’s account from start to finish.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here