Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] So todays Ref Chris Kavanagh

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Don't let Murray take penalties with this referee.

I thought the first half Leicester bookings were harsh as I did not see them as tactical fouls rather incompetence on the part of the Leicester players. Ndidi should have got a straight red card for the penalty foul.

Lineswomen was as poor as I've seen. Linesman was 50% wrong with the offsides.

Vardy was miles offside in the build up to their second goal. and there was another Leicester player offside as well.

Last edited:

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
Before blaming the female assistant on the east side for two decisions for throw ins that were probably wrong, why did she have to make those decisions from 30/40 metres away, when in both cases the ref was considerably closer?

In those situations it IS usually the ref who makes the decision, and the lino responds to the ref, as he/she is supposed to. In view of her distance from the ball, I think it’s highly likely that the criticism of her should have been directed at the ref.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
In those situations it IS usually the ref who makes the decision, and the lino responds to the ref, as he/she is supposed to. In view of her distance from the ball, I think it’s highly likely that the criticism of her should have been directed at the ref.

The assistant is looking right down the line. They have by far the best view of who touched it last if it’s close to the edge of the pitch. Unless they’re spectacularly short-sighted, it’s surely the easiest part of the job.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Not sure if picked up on the highlights but in the first half when cross was cut back to Izquierdo as he was running onto it Morgan (I think) shoved him in the back which put him off balance as he tried to run in for the tap in. Looked more of a pen than the one given.

Overall ref was ok when having to deal with a Leicester team deploying every little trick in the book

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
The assistant is looking right down the line. They have by far the best view of who touched it last if it’s close to the edge of the pitch. Unless they’re spectacularly short-sighted, it’s surely the easiest part of the job.

I disagree completely. Just because they’re looking down the line doesn’t automatically give them the perfect view, especially from a distance. The last touch can happen anywhere and there can be players blocking their view of the ball or the line, or both. There are many occasions when the ref is much closer and has a much better view, so he indicates his decision to the lino who then raises the flag in the appropriate direction.

It’s part of the game and happens all the time. It’s not always the lino’s fault when an incorrect throw-in decision is given!

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Thought the ref was excellent. Leicester fans moaning about the number of bookings, but they all looked yellow cards to me - as did our two. Only thing I wasn't sure about was the penalty - tbh didn't look like one, but would need to see it again. Sian Massey made some bizarre decisios, but disappointed to hear fans saying she must be crap because she's a woman. We've had plenty of crap male linos too!

Like the one on the other side of the pitch, who made just as many minor bad calls as her.

Overall, I thought they got the biggest calls right between them though. Ultimately today came down to poor finishing on our part - it had nothing to do with the officials.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
If a goalkeeper is time wasting give him one warning and then a yellow card next time. Does my head in - stop f***ing just warning him over and over and effectively ignoring the ever more elaborate ways to waste time.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
At the time I thought the second yellow was for the (comical) reaction to the free kick rather than the foul itself

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Ref was decent. Linesmen weren't.

Every one of the yellow cards (barring the last one on Ndini) was spot on.
Tactical fouls each and every one. Kayal was lucky to not be given a second one tbh.

Invicta

NSC Patreon
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Thought the referee was largely fine today. Not helped by his incompetent assistant on the East Side. Should have booked Schmeichel for his constant mithering and time wasting

She seemed scared to give a decision without checking with the ref

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
If a goalkeeper is time wasting give him one warning and then a yellow card next time. Does my head in - stop f***ing just warning him over and over and effectively ignoring the ever more elaborate ways to waste time.

Schmeichel is not the first goalkeeper at the Amex this season to begin time-wasting from the start. I've seen Ryan do it too, in away matches.

But Schemichel's routine was a joke yesterday - always walking to the other side of the penalty area - taking time to spot the ball - walking backwards to kick his boots against the post twice - walking back a bit more - stopping to check if the ref was taking any notice - and finally, finally kicking it. About 45 seconds to a minute every time.

We got time back with 5 minutes at the end - but this needs to be stopped from becoming a norm in the game.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
. Ndidi should have got a straight red card for the penalty foul.

I don’t think you give a red to a player who has fouled his opponent in the area if a penalty is awarded. Not unless it’s violent conduct. I might be wrong though Perseus, it’s been known.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Ndidi should have got a straight red card for the penalty foul.

Except, it was Maguire that made contact with Izquierdo, not Ndidi. Plus, fouls that lead to penalties aren't automatic red cards anymore. It has to be a red card-worthy challenge on its own. And that is the sort of sandwiching/coming together that often goes without cards being given.

Vardy was miles offside in the build up to their second goal. and there was another Leicester player offside as well.

Schelotto was right beside him. I don't know if he was on or offside, but it was very close, either way.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Not sure if it's our inexperience but Leicester seemed to know how to 'play' these officials. They got a free kick every time they threw themselves to the floor and offside was awarded every time Morgan put up his arm in appeal. I agree Murray was called offside twice wrongly in the 1st half, once when he was 5 yards in the clear.
Leicester are a horrible team to watch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here