Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
After a week off work which was full of un-health in terms of both food and drink I dragged my sorry arse off the sofa and did my 10 mile loop. Feeling inspired by the heroes of NSC out on the roads of Brighton today I pushed myself quite hard for the first 6 miles, which included my first stitch from about 4.5 miles. I then plodded home the last 4 miles or so.

I managed to snip 2 mins off my 10km pb with a 54:34. I wonder if sub-50 mins is achievable in the Worthing 10km in 2 months time?

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Are you running to a training plan [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION]? That might well help get you below 50 minutes - you'd probably be looking at 3 runs a week - a long easy run (up to an hour), a half hour fartlek/hills/intervals session, and a half hour easy recovery run a couple of days after the intense session.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Congratulations to all who did the marathon at the weekend - great effort and I'm quite jealous!

Quick question for those on here using GPS running watches (I think I asked before but have narrowed it down a bit). I'm looking at

Garmin 220 (c.£120) v TomTom Runner(c£75) v Polar M400 (£90)

Anyone particular experience of any of these. I think bluetooth uploading is quite important as I don't have a computer at home. Prices are the best I can find on ebay so I'm trying to decide if its worth forking out extra for the garmin.

Cheers.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Are you running to a training plan [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION]? That might well help get you below 50 minutes - you'd probably be looking at 3 runs a week - a long easy run (up to an hour), a half hour fartlek/hills/intervals session, and a half hour easy recovery run a couple of days after the intense session.

No training plan at all, no. My main motivation when I started running on January 19th was weight loss and that continues to be the main motivation (25lbs down, quite a few more to go!).

I'm running 3 or 4 times a week with the typical long run taking place on a Sunday with midweek runs being shorter. I've recently upped my shorter runs from a 3.8m loop to a 5.1m loop and it is my intention that is the shortest distance I will now run.

Screen Shot 2015-04-13 at 10.15.55.png

The long run does really take it out of me though - every time I stand up today I can really feel it. I guess if I was looking to optimise 10km times then 10 (or even 13) mile runs would not feature too prominently?

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
No training plan at all, no. My main motivation when I started running on January 19th was weight loss and that continues to be the main motivation (25lbs down, quite a few more to go!).

I'm running 3 or 4 times a week with the typical long run taking place on a Sunday with midweek runs being shorter. I've recently upped my shorter runs from a 3.8m loop to a 5.1m loop and it is my intention that is the shortest distance I will now run.

View attachment 64551

The long run does really take it out of me though - every time I stand up today I can really feel it. I guess if I was looking to optimise 10km times then 10 (or even 13) mile runs would not feature too prominently?

I'd keep your long runs as your primary goal is weight loss, and those 10 milers (or any distance that is taking you over an hour to run) are where you are doing it, and bear in mind you'll get quicker as you lose weight.

You clearly have the distance covered so 10k should hold no fear for you, where you need to work is on your speed and strength, I find running about on hills is very good for both.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
A question, running sages of NSC......

I had yesterday off but my kids had an inset day. I ended up taking them swimming and just walking in the water seemed to really soothe my legs. This morning though they are stiffer than Stan Collymore in a car park and I'm struggling to walk. When is best to get a 20min recovery run in (can't be today due to work and the match tonight but could be tomorrow morning)? And what should I do for my long run on Sunday? Was thinking of another 6 miler but much slower so I get in over an hour on my feet?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

View attachment 64551

Doing great so far. Best thing you can do for speed improvement is introduce intervals and proper tempo runs to your programme. Intervals can be anything from 200 yards to a couple of miles, but need to be run hard, and repeated. For example, 10 x 400 yards, plus a mile warm up and a mile cool down, with the 400 yard efforts being run faster than your 10k pace (think 7-8 on an effort scale of 1-10, 1 being walking, 6 being your 10k effort and 10 being 100% all out sprinting). The shorter the interval, the faster you run it. Have a walk/jog recovery of the same length of time as the interval between each one. This will help massively with weight loss as well as the calorie burn goes through the roof. For a tempo run, it's more of a sustained higher effort over a period of time - say 5 miles just below 10k race pace (but not much). This will build up your speed endurance. The weekly long (slow) run is good for building aerobic endurance and strengthening, plus fat-burning so I'd definitely keep it in. Should add I'm not a qualified coach........

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

I had yesterday off but my kids had an inset day. I ended up taking them swimming and just walking in the water seemed to really soothe my legs. This morning though they are stiffer than Stan Collymore in a car park and I'm struggling to walk. When is best to get a 20min recovery run in (can't be today due to work and the match tonight but could be tomorrow morning)? And what should I do for my long run on Sunday? Was thinking of another 6 miler but much slower so I get in over an hour on my feet?

DOMS........(Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness) not uncommon if you've put more effort in than previously. Usually peaks between 24 & 72 hours. Best prevention is getting out and doing something within the 24 hour period - I usually at least go for a decent walk, cycle or use the elliptical trainer at the gym. I did a 30 min slow run yesterday after the marathon Sunday and legs are fine this morning. Have a look at the Wikipedia article on it - pretty good summary. You'll find the symptoms lessen over time anyway as your muscles adapt to more running, but for me getting them moving again the next day always does the trick.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Congratulations to all who did the marathon at the weekend - great effort and I'm quite jealous!

Quick question for those on here using GPS running watches (I think I asked before but have narrowed it down a bit). I'm looking at

Garmin 220 (c.£120) v TomTom Runner(c£75) v Polar M400 (£90)

Anyone particular experience of any of these. I think bluetooth uploading is quite important as I don't have a computer at home. Prices are the best I can find on ebay so I'm trying to decide if its worth forking out extra for the garmin.

Cheers.

Have only used Garmins (not a 220 though - currently using a 310xt, not the flashiest up to date model but easy to use and does everything I need, with a nice big display for my poor eyesight, and battery life of 20 hours), and love the garmin connect site for data analysis, and the direct upload from garmin to strava too........doesn't have bluetooth capability though so probably no good for you

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Doing great so far. Best thing you can do for speed improvement is introduce intervals and proper tempo runs to your programme. Intervals can be anything from 200 yards to a couple of miles, but need to be run hard, and repeated. For example, 10 x 400 yards, plus a mile warm up and a mile cool down, with the 400 yard efforts being run faster than your 10k pace (think 7-8 on an effort scale of 1-10, 1 being walking, 6 being your 10k effort and 10 being 100% all out sprinting). The shorter the interval, the faster you run it. Have a walk/jog recovery of the same length of time as the interval between each one. This will help massively with weight loss as well as the calorie burn goes through the roof. For a tempo run, it's more of a sustained higher effort over a period of time - say 5 miles just below 10k race pace (but not much). This will build up your speed endurance. The weekly long (slow) run is good for building aerobic endurance and strengthening, plus fat-burning so I'd definitely keep it in. Should add I'm not a qualified coach........

This is pretty much spot on. For road running, the efforts on the intervals need to get you out of your comfort zone for anything from 1-10 mins - although intervals of 10 mins would be the sort of training you'd do for a half or full marathon. If your aiming for a 5-10k PB, then intervals in the 1-5 min region should do the trick.

I'm not qualified either, but have been running various distances (100m to marathons) for about 25 years now.

Greyrun

Feb 23, 2009

Google "Recovery from a marathon"good articles all agreeing with each other. I took a week off after a marathon, rest is the way to recover and avoid injury, Paula Radcliffe takes 3 weeks and just cross trains.

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
currently using a 310xt, not the flashiest up to date model but easy to use and does everything I need, with a nice big display for my poor eyesight, and battery life of 20 hours
[MENTION=16720]Indurain's Lungs[/MENTION] given that you're looking to do triathlons then you might want to look at one of the multi-sport watches, like the 310XT which can be picked up for a similar price to the 220 if you hunt around. The advantage being that you can use it to record the whole event. Plus it would work with speed/cadence/power sensors on the bike.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Have only used Garmins (not a 220 though - currently using a 310xt, not the flashiest up to date model but easy to use and does everything I need, with a nice big display for my poor eyesight, and battery life of 20 hours), and love the garmin connect site for data analysis, and the direct upload from garmin to strava too........doesn't have bluetooth capability though so probably no good for you

[MENTION=16720]Indurain's Lungs[/MENTION] given that you're looking to do triathlons then you might want to look at one of the multi-sport watches, like the 310XT which can be picked up for a similar price to the 220 if you hunt around. The advantage being that you can use it to record the whole event. Plus it would work with speed/cadence/power sensors on the bike.

Thanks for the advice. As I've already got an 810, I thought I'd not go for an XT.

I've eventually settled on the polar m400 as its available brand new for under £100 and the reviews seem excellent.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
DOMS........(Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness) not uncommon if you've put more effort in than previously. Usually peaks between 24 & 72 hours. Best prevention is getting out and doing something within the 24 hour period - I usually at least go for a decent walk, cycle or use the elliptical trainer at the gym. I did a 30 min slow run yesterday after the marathon Sunday and legs are fine this morning. Have a look at the Wikipedia article on it - pretty good summary. You'll find the symptoms lessen over time anyway as your muscles adapt to more running, but for me getting them moving again the next day always does the trick.

Cheers, have now had a look at the wiki and I'm sure that's what it is. Since posting I have been up to London and back for a meeting so had a nice walk over London Bridge and another round Bank station. That and the WSU stairs ought to sort me out! 20 min recovery run in the plan for tomorrow.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Inspired by the picture of the beautiful Britain which David Cameron painted this morning, I just knocked my 5k PB down from 26:02 to 25:24 as part of my regular 5.1m loop.

It was only the negativity from our looney left contingent that kept me above 25 mins. Probably.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Inspired by the picture of the beautiful Britain which David Cameron painted this morning, I just knocked my 5k PB down from 26:02 to 25:24 as part of my regular 5.1m loop.

It was only the negativity from our looney left contingent that kept me above 25 mins. Probably.

So -- running inspired by politics? You're definitely a Seb Coe rather than Steve Ovett type aren't you? Personally I lean the other way, and will remain so (at least until your 5k PB beats mine....)

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Seeing as the match is so grim I'll turn my mind to more uplifting things.

I've signed up today for the 2016 Brighton Marathon. It will be my first marathon and I have only run one event before now, which was this year's Brighton Half Marathon. I was the rhino that morning and I plan to be a rhino again next year too. I'm nervous even now at the thought of carting that beast around a full 26 miles.

A question for you running sages...

I have been running for the past three years. I started out to lose weight and then simply to retain a decent level of fitness. I'm no speed freak and can just manage a 2 hour half marathon if I really push it. I generally run three or four times a week and will vary the distance between 3 and 13 miles depending on how much time I have free. I reckon if I applied myself I could probably bat out 15-17 miles before really conking out but to date, I have been unscientific in my approach and have just steadily built up my distance.

Does anybody have any suggestions as to the best way I get from where I am now to where I need to be next April? My time on the day is not an issue. I simply need to be able to successfully get my 73kg + 8kg costume around the distance. Would you recommend I get more scientific at this stage and start mixing up my runs (fartlek/hills etc) or is this something I should worry about closer to the time? Thoughts appreciated. Ta!

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
Phew! Its been the first properly hot day for running for me today! I was baked by the time I got to Newlands Corner, so as I have a 10k on Saturday I reigned myself in and even walked a few short bits. No point busting a gut.

:)

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Seeing as the match is so grim I'll turn my mind to more uplifting things.

I've signed up today for the 2016 Brighton Marathon. It will be my first marathon and I have only run one event before now, which was this year's Brighton Half Marathon. I was the rhino that morning and I plan to be a rhino again next year too. I'm nervous even now at the thought of carting that beast around a full 26 miles.

A question for you running sages...

I have been running for the past three years. I started out to lose weight and then simply to retain a decent level of fitness. I'm no speed freak and can just manage a 2 hour half marathon if I really push it. I generally run three or four times a week and will vary the distance between 3 and 13 miles depending on how much time I have free. I reckon if I applied myself I could probably bat out 15-17 miles before really conking out but to date, I have been unscientific in my approach and have just steadily built up my distance.

Does anybody have any suggestions as to the best way I get from where I am now to where I need to be next April? My time on the day is not an issue. I simply need to be able to successfully get my 73kg + 8kg costume around the distance. Would you recommend I get more scientific at this stage and start mixing up my runs (fartlek/hills etc) or is this something I should worry about closer to the time? Thoughts appreciated. Ta!

The good news is you have plenty of time so increase speed and distance nice and slowly.

I only run twice per week as much more than that and I tend to get injured. I would love to run every other day but can't so I play football once a week and really importantly I work on my upper body and core fairly regularly now.

I would really look at a upper body plan with that costume and a strong core will help you at the end of the race.

My family and friends all told me that the big difference between this years marathon and last years was that I wasn't stooped over and seemed a lot more upright that is down to core strengthening.

Sit up's, press up's, planks along with reps on dumb bells is sufficient. You can look up and research plenty of drills which will help.

Finally hill running is a great way of strengthening your lower body and again something I started completing regularly from November last year and it's really helped me. I just don't like the down hills as I've been injured that way before.

Good luck - completing a marathon is a huge achievement but with a rhino on your back is quite remarkable.

Last edited:

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Just reviewing my years running times between the 2014 & 2015 marathons.

As mentioned in the post above the upper body work has really helped and I've made some significant improvements in all the main distances.

5k - 21:23 - 19:47 - Aim is now sub 19 by end of the year
10k - 48:48 - 42:44 - Aim now Sub 40
Half - 1:44:23 - 1:32:23 - Aim is now sub 1:30:00
Marathon - 3:55:27 - 3:29:22 - Aim is now sub 3:15:00

Going to rest for the remainder of April and then start working towards the new targets.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here