Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T - How Regularly Should Car Air-Con Get Re-Gassed?

larus

Advice please.

My car is going in for a service today (in case it's of relevance, it's an A5, 15 plate). I'm being asked if I want the Air-Con serviced/re-gassed for £79. I know they do need doing every so often, but it's only a 2 year old car. Is this one of those things where they try to get as much out of each customer as they can for jibs which don't always need doing or am i just a cynical bast*rd?

How often should the air-con need looking at as a rough guideline?

Thanks

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Recommendation from manufacturers is every two years. 10% pa leakage of gas pressure is normal. £79 is quite expensive; ~£40-50 is nearer the mark. Some places will give you a refund if they don't give you at least 10% cooler air.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I look at mine every time the weather hots up and wish I'd bought a new condenser 4 years ago.

Every 2 years is the guideline.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
People who make money from regassing say every 2 years.

People who don't have a vested interest say "when it doesn't feel cold any more"

Personally I follow the second school of thought.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
£75 suggest main dealer rip off, go to an independent, £40-£50 max.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
People who make money from regassing say every 2 years.

People who don't have a vested interest say "when it doesn't feel cold any more"

Personally I follow the second school of thought.

Exactly, if it's blowing ice cold it's working and doesn't need regassing. They do get worse over a period so you'll know when it needs doing imo.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
As [MENTION=13947]happypig[/MENTION] says, when it stops working. But if you use it regularly all year round (as you should) this shouldn't really happen anyway.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
As [MENTION=13947]happypig[/MENTION] says, when it stops working. But if you use it regularly all year round (as you should) this shouldn't really happen anyway.

Good point it should be used every week regardless of the weather to be at it's optimum when you need it.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
My VW golf was not regassed for 10 years. The air con remained perfect. Never a problem. And my regular services never mentioned it (at a VW dealership).

After I had a shunt, however, and my insurer tried to get the repairs done on the cheap, I ended up paying a grand to have it fixed. As part of the cost cutting process, I had to take 7 or 8 days off work while the garage repeatedly took the car back in to fix the air con. They regassed it 4 or 5 times, each time insisting the problem was fixed, only for the air con to revert back to 'room air' after an interval (ranging from a day to 2 weeks). I spent so much time complaining to the AA (who managed my insurance at the time) that I started to think 'it was me' (I'm one of those who always starts thinking its 'my fault when there is a conflict). The bit that got me was the guys at the garage telling me that 'it takes a while for the air con to kick in after you start the car' (no it bloody doesn't - it takes about 30 seconds) and 'it feels cool to me, mate' (no it bloody doesn't). *******s. I have other horror stories about AA insurance (they did my house insurance for a while) that I'll save for another rant :rant:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I use a chap who's company is called Brighton Autogas. He comes to your house and will remove all the old gas, suck out any water in the system and re-gas with new stuff... He told me to refresh gas every two years and charges £45..

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
vegster; Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE said:

larus

Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, it is a main dealer, so that's probably why it's main dealer prices(£79). I use it all the time (by this I mean when the fan is on, the ac is enabled too), and it does feel OK to me. It cools the car down even when not on max (min) setting.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I use a chap who's company is called Brighton Autogas. He comes to your house and will remove all the old gas, suck out any water in the system and re-gas with new stuff... He told me to refresh gas every two years and charges £45..

What on Earth for, unless he's particularly keen on enhancing anthropogenic climate change?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Have you got a link or number?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
What on Earth for, unless he's particularly keen on enhancing anthropogenic climate change?
He takes all the gas out, vacuum checks the system for leaks and removes any moisture in the system then refills with the correct weight of gas. The old stuff is sucked into a different gas bottle so I assume it gets reprocessed. Nothing leaks out or is wasted.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here