Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Was bringing BZ in a way to shut the fans up?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
You do ask a good question, where was he on our target list? BZ has maintained that he always wanted to come back, yet a few of the ITK people on here had said that it was not looking likely a few weeks back. I am glad he signed and think he is what the fans needed, as for the club, I do wonder if they had got some of the targets they had gone for, would we have signed him this week or ever. He is 34 and injury prone. Time will tell.
March is 20 something and injury prone, BZ played 33 times last season in the PL.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
March is 20 something and injury prone, BZ played 33 times last season in the PL.

You missed the one about where he was on the target list,he actually made 21 appearances and scored 2 goals. 44 appearances in the last 2 seasons in all comps and 6 goals.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
This has got me thinking really. BZ even said himself it was all over so quickly. Was his arrival a way for TB and PB to shut the fans up about bringing in anymore players and silently admitting there'll be no more??? Sounds to me abit suss.

I'd recommend just not thinking anymore.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
You missed the one about where he was on the target list,he actually made 21 appearances and scored 2 goals. 44 appearances in the last 2 seasons in all comps and 6 goals.

If you are going to start posting statistics you should at least check to make sure you have ACCURATE data. And unfortunately, simply looking up Zamora's Wikipedia page just doesn't cut it.

Zamora made 33 appearances last season, in all competitions, and scored 3 goals.

Over the last two seasons he has made 54 appearances in all competitions and scored 7 goals.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Given how negative fans had been of late with the lack of transfer activity (and not just the disingenuous claim of fans thinking we're not spending like man utd, but the reasonable concerns about gaps in the squad not being addressed irrespective of money spent), combined with the proximity of the fans forum and the reported lack of interest from Hughton in signing Zamora, I don't think it's entirely unreasonable to be a little suspicious that perhaps the signing has been forced through, with Hughton reluctantly agreeing to it after pressure

It's not a move that would solely be to ease tensions both generally around the club/fans and also to make the forum better - it's not like they are foisting Leon Best on him, Bobby does have attributes that will benefit the team and the club)/failure to land a preferred target, but it's definitely a beneficial side effect of the deal.

But I don't see how anyone can then take it a step further and suggest it means we're not going to sign anyone else until January.

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
Someone I know's mate's brother's aunty saw PB with BZ just before he signed. Apparently, PB was showing BZ how to get behind each seat in the Amex with some tape and a pair of scissors, cut the tape and put it over the mouth of the person in the seat.

So, the OP was right. BZ has been signed to shut the fans up.

Well, it is no more ridiculous than the other suggestion...

The Upper Library

May 23, 2013
I sometimes long for the old days before the internet and the existence of fans forums. In the good old days you just simply supported your team - instead I feel like my emotions are being hijacked by the paranoia and sometimes deluded thought processes of people I will never meet. Obviously the irony of me posting this is not lost on me.
BZ coming back to Brighton obviously has benefits apart from pure footballing ones. But it seems to me that no matter who is or isn't signed there will be a thread that tries to pour cold water on it.
Some examples of how a fans forum reacts to signings:
A) the player purchased is just what we need but the player himself is only using us as a stepping stone - no loyalty in football.
B) the player was obviously not our first choice (even when there maybe no evidence of this.
C) he maybe a good player etc. but don't we need a CB, winger , LB etc etc etc

And now this reaction to BZ signing - if he had played less than 10 games last season I would have agreed that this signing was more sentimental than practical. But he has been playing regularly at a higher level. Yes there is a good deal of emotion attached to this signing both on BZ's part and us as fans - but isn't that so refreshing in this day and age of corporate football. Also Hughton has worked with BZ in the past and the attributes he will bring to the team will be of real benefit.

So I am going to love seeing BZ back in the stripes and will revel in the sheer emotion of his home coming.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I sometimes long for the old days before the internet and the existence of fans forums. In the good old days you just simply supported your team -

But that's not really true, is it? In the good old days, there would be people in the pub moaning/putting cautionary or negative slants on things, people at work or at school moaning etc.

The Upper Library

May 23, 2013
But that's not really true, is it? In the good old days, there would be people in the pub moaning/putting cautionary or negative slants on things, people at work or at school moaning etc.

That is true but you wouldn't have potentially thousands of different people in that pub all chipping in.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
So who is Hughton (and presumably Bloom and Barber are in on it as well) going to sign now to shut up all the fans who think signing Zamora was a cynical move to shut up all the fans. ?

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
So who is Hughton (and presumably Bloom and Barber are in on it as well) going to sign now to shut up all the fans who think signing Zamora was a cynical move to shut up all the fans. ?

Hopefully someone who is match ready and can improve the team in the areas we have needed since Christmas last year. In order that we don't have a right back players on the right wing.

Someone like Marshall, or Murphy would be good.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
But you would be able to see how drunk they were or stupid they looked before you got into a conversation!

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Given how negative fans had been of late with the lack of transfer activity (and not just the disingenuous claim of fans thinking we're not spending like man utd, but the reasonable concerns about gaps in the squad not being addressed irrespective of money spent), combined with the proximity of the fans forum and the reported lack of interest from Hughton in signing Zamora, I don't think it's entirely unreasonable to be a little suspicious that perhaps the signing has been forced through, with Hughton reluctantly agreeing to it after pressure

It's not a move that would solely be to ease tensions both generally around the club/fans and also to make the forum better - it's not like they are foisting Leon Best on him, Bobby does have attributes that will benefit the team and the club)/failure to land a preferred target, but it's definitely a beneficial side effect of the deal.

But I don't see how anyone can then take it a step further and suggest it means we're not going to sign anyone else until January.

I find your comments about Hughton interesting as the both Bloom and Barber have stated that the manager definitely has the last say on any player we sign.
If as you say he reluctantly was forced into agreeing to sign Bobby, then it does point to the manager having interference with his squad building.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I find your comments about Hughton interesting as the both Bloom and Barber have stated that the manager definitely has the last say on any player we sign.
If as you say he reluctantly was forced into agreeing to sign Bobby, then it does point to the manager having interference with his squad building.

I was pointing out that the latest rumour to explain why Bobby Zamora hadn't signed was, as repeated by Adam Virgo during commentary on Sunday, that Hughton wasn't particularly interested in signing him. That Nathan Jones was eager, but Chris not so much.

That, paired with the timing of the signing, could be taken by the cynical among us as suspicious.

If you're the cynical sort, you'll also take claims the manager has the final say with a pinch of salt (and possibly point to the signings of Harper and Hambo that Bloom seems to be pushing as first team signings, and Hughton is reported to view as development signings showing some difference in viewing of our signings).

Besides, even if Hughton is reluctant, and takes some convincing, Bloom's claim Chris has the final say is still true.

But again, I'm not saying this is the case, just that given the rumour and the timing I can see why some might be suspicious of the signing with respect to the forum.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here