Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Nathan Jones - Luton

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
No more a sleeping giant than quite a few other League 2 teams, just have a look at the teams down there now. i think it will be a tall order to get Luton up tbh although I feel he is quite capable of it.

Would argue that only Plymouth and Portsmouth are comparable to Luton in League 2.

Nathan has made completely the right decision to leave Villa well alone. He has the potential to be managing a well-run club at Championship level in a few years - no need for him to hurry.

Simster is right, though. Wanting Luton to succeed just doesn't feel right for me.

FIVESTEPS

Nov 3, 2014
I think there are a number of reasons he shouldn't move

Firstly he has only just really started. If he jumps ship then it may put off a lot of the 'better' chairman that like loyalty from their managers. That could leave him only looking at places like Leeds in the future.

Secondly, Villa is a cursed club at the moment, he likes to build teams that work for eachother but there are still 3 months until the transfer window. Anyone that could turn that current squad around would have to be a saint. Anyone thinking they will sort it in the transfer window may not make it that far.

Thirdly, he is such a young manager that a failure at that level could kill his career before it started

However, if he just wants a quick pay day then it would be perfect. I hate to think how much Di Matteo got paid off with

3 million was suggested in a newspaper.

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia
"Manager Nathan Jones says he will pay any fine Luton Town may have incurred for making 11 changes for Tuesday's EFL Trophy 2-0 win over West Brom.

League One and Two clubs must play a certain number of "first-team" players in the competition.

The Hatters' team for the game included eight players under the age of 21.

"If anyone wants to fine us for that group of youngsters, I'll pay the fine myself, because it would be an absolute disgrace," he told the club website."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37561406

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
"Manager Nathan Jones says he will pay any fine Luton Town may have incurred for making 11 changes for Tuesday's EFL Trophy 2-0 win over West Brom.

League One and Two clubs must play a certain number of "first-team" players in the competition.

The Hatters' team for the game included eight players under the age of 21.

"If anyone wants to fine us for that group of youngsters, I'll pay the fine myself, because it would be an absolute disgrace," he told the club website."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37561406

It's a £5K fine. Ludicrous.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
It's a £5K fine. Ludicrous.

It would be incorrect as well because the Luton squad and the relative success has been built around YOUTH. He has gone and picked up very promising young players on loan from other clubs. All his loanees are ones who are expected to make it eventually at their respective clubs, so I don't think he has done anything wrong following the youth policy which he has adopted at Luton. They are effectively first team players.

That said if Villa make a move for him he would be mad to turn it down. He has nothing to lose by going to Villa. With a club like that on his CV he would be instantly employable again, albeit at a lower level, even if he failed.

It would be a win win situation for him - I doubt Villa would go to him though. The Board needs to appease the fans at the moment and Nathan doesn't have the contacts in the game yet to attract big names to the club in the future, if they make it to the Premiership. Alex Neil had a similar problem at Norwich when they went up. Big players just wouldn't sign for him. To a degree Sean Dyche found that as well at Burnley.

Money mercenaries would go there but Norwich and Burnley don't pay enough to attract them. Money mercenaries went to Villa last year and that's why they are where they are now.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Stick with Luton. He'd be mad to try and bucket all the water out of the sinking ship that is Rotherham.

I think so too. Plus it's still early days in his managerial career. He needs to learn the ropes at the lower levels first, and the fact that the Hatters are on course for at least a playoff spot will help him too..

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'm not no sure. No-one would expect him to keep Rotherham up, but if he did so then his stock would go through the roof. The exact opposite to Zola's hiding to nothing.

And regardless, whilst they might be in the same division next season, the chances are that they'll actually still be a division apart, with a chance of the gap being 2 divisions.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Rotherham aren't a significantly bigger club than Luton and are in a right old mess at the moment. He's better off staying put.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
He'd seriously consider it I reckon.

Guaranteed league 1 next year with a slim chance of championship, vs the play off lottery this summer.

He may feel he needs to show loyalty to Luton of course, maybe this comes too early.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
He'd seriously consider it I reckon.

Garanteed league 1 next year with a slim chance of championship, or the play off lottery this summer.

He may feel he needs to show loyalty to Luton of course, maybe this comes too early.

I think you nailed it in your final five words. If he can steer Luton into the play-offs, and better still get promotion this season, then his stock could rise even higher. At the end of the day he has achieved nothing yet.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
To be honest, I'm enjoying seeing Luton at the arse end of the league but I do quite like Nathan Jones. I'd feel a lot happier if he moved to a harmless club so that I can continue chuckling at tin pot Luton at their shite ground and lower league dross on the pitch. Grim club. Hope they stay where they are forever.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here