Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

South Downs: England's Mountains Green

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Thought it was awful. Could have been a fantastic programme but endless drone shots and never really being sure where he was ruined it for me. I gave up with about 20 minutes to go.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
He momentarily lost me when he seemed to suggest that the Weald was the Thames Valley ....

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Highest point of South Downs is 890ft, mountains generally start at 2,000. I'm a bit old for half term!
Fine I'll do the work for you.
The title isn't literal, it's a reference to the line 'and did those feet in ancient times walk along England's mountains green', from Jerusalem.

Jerusalem was written by local lad William Blake, and thought to be inspired by The South Downs, hence the title.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
For those of you living in Lesser Sussex and rarely venture over to see what you could of won in the lottery of life, I'd like to emphasis Kingley Vale.

https://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/visiting-woods/wood/27784/kingley-vale/

I know it featured heavily last night, and I know it looked fantastic, but I assure you the programme still didn't do the area justice.

I see Funtington and Cocking on the map in the link. Crazy names, crazy county. When I live in Canada we occasionally drove through Spuzzum. Do other language/cultures have town names that sound bonkers, even in their own language?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I see Funtington and Cocking on the map in the link. Crazy names, crazy county. When I live in Canada we occasionally drove through Spuzzum. Do other language/cultures have town names that sound bonkers, even in their own language?

I often cycle through the sleepy village of Compton, also on that map.
It's hard not to let my mind wander to a parallel universe, where the allotment association is run by Ice-Cube and Easy-E's tea rooms do a steady trade.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Fine I'll do the work for you.
The title isn't literal, it's a reference to the line 'and did those feet in ancient times walk along England's mountains green', from Jerusalem.

Jerusalem was written by local lad William Blake, and thought to be inspired by The South Downs, hence the title.

Well he was wrong then. He should have said hills green.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Is anyone else not getting this on bbc4?

BBC4 is showing some drama set in Africa? Unless the downs has had a massive cultural and climate change. Then when does this programme actually begin?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Not sure how I didn't know about that programme, must admit I didn't stay in watching tv very much in the 80s though.

Same here. It was repeated a couple of years back though. Even Dennis Waterman is good and didn't get to write the theme tune.

I'm still shocked by [MENTION=1200]Harry Wilson's tackle[/MENTION] using the word defenestration before dinner. A great word that I have never come across before and can't wait to use in the pub.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here