Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Swansea U23s v Albion U23s (Mon Nov 26 - 7pm ko)

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
It's high time I posted Aaron Connolly's updated career scoring record for the U-23s. He has now scored:-

34 goals in 48 league and cup appearances (40 starts plus 8 sub appearances)

If you look at just Premier League 2 (Division Two and One) fixtures he has now scored:-

23 goals in 30 appearances (25 starts plus 5 sub appearances)

Yeah, but ......

Vankleek Hill Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Vankleek Hill, actually....
There's a few very promising youngsters.

Connolly, White, Gyokeres, Cox, Sanders are all really showing quality.

I hope we see a few of them progress onto the first team bench or get some loans out.

The boy is going places that's for sure.

Sadly, he probably won't be allowed into our first team until he's too old for the U23s........................

From AZ Gull in the U23 Player Profile thread on Ben White
One thing we know with certainty though - Chris Hughton, in his almost four years with Albion, has been unwilling to give a home-grown youngster (who wasn't an already established first-team player) a league start (and barely any substitute appearances).

Good luck with seeing any of the U23's appearing in the first team. What is the point in having an academy when Chris can't be arsed to play them even though they have the potential to be better than the first team? I think AZ Gull is spot on with his analysis.

Persisting with a 35 year old up front and a 38 year old at right back doesn't send the right message to our youngsters about progression within the club.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Some of these lads look good enough for League football. But how many are ready for Prier League football?

That's the tricky question. Everyone raves about Connolly and rightly so with his goals tally, however he did miss a easy chance in the first minute yesterday evening. You could not afford to miss many like that in the Prem as chances are few and far between and some of the defending from both sides was abysmal. Way too much time and space allowed.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
A very good natural goal scorer. However since in Premier we have only ever played one up front and he is not suited to that. Also he needs ball to feet in penalty area which again something we rarely do. Can only see him getting a chance if we are losing and manager in chasing game is forced to play 2 up

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

Good luck with seeing any of the U23's appearing in the first team. What is the point in having an academy when Chris can't be arsed to play them even though they have the potential to be better than the first team? I think AZ Gull is spot on with his analysis.

Persisting with a 35 year old up front and a 38 year old at right back doesn't send the right message to our youngsters about progression within the club.

Persisting implies that he's not getting much success. Not really the case with our 35 year old, is it? And who would you drop to give Ben White some game time, full internationals Dunk, Duffy or Balogun?

I have confidence in Hughton's ability to judge the youngsters in training and that he will promote the youngsters to the first team squad when he feels they're good enough, not when they're old enough. As fans, none of us will have seen them play regularly against any opposition higher than U23, League 1 or weak League Cup sides, all of which are a million miles from the Premier League.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Persisting implies that he's not getting much success. Not really the case with our 35 year old, is it? And who would you drop to give Ben White some game time, full internationals Dunk, Duffy or Balogun?

I have confidence in Hughton's ability to judge the youngsters in training and that he will promote the youngsters to the first team squad when he feels they're good enough, not when they're old enough. As fans, none of us will have seen them play regularly against any opposition higher than U23, League 1 or weak League Cup sides, all of which are a million miles from the Premier League.

Nailed

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Fingers crossed for a decent FA Cup run, so we can all see White and Connolly tested in a few real games.

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom

Really? You want to drop the 2nd top scorer in the Premier League to play a youngster who has no experience of first team football whilst in the middle of a relegation dogfight? And that 38yr old is our club captain and keeping out an ex Barcelona right back.

Yes Hughton seems reluctant to try anyone from the U23s - but who are you going to replace with who? White in for Dunk or Duffy? Connolly in for Murray?

There may be a case for trying Gyorkares wide as our wide players haven’t produced at all this season, but the best two players out of the U23 appear to be White and Connolly and they have players in front of them who are at the top of their game... just look at Balogun, a wonderful player who can’t get in himself!

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Really? You want to drop the 2nd top scorer in the Premier League to play a youngster who has no experience of first team football whilst in the middle of a relegation dogfight? And that 38yr old is our club captain and keeping out an ex Barcelona right back.

Yes Hughton seems reluctant to try anyone from the U23s - but who are you going to replace with who? White in for Dunk or Duffy? Connolly in for Murray?

There may be a case for trying Gyorkares wide as our wide players haven’t produced at all this season, but the best two players out of the U23 appear to be White and Connolly and they have players in front of them who are at the top of their game... just look at Balogun, a wonderful player who can’t get in himself!

Agreed. Also when Hughton had one attacker who was ill then he asked both Connolly and Gyokeres to travel with the team and put Gyokeres was on the bench. I imagine if Murray or Locadia or Andone were suspended/injured in future games he'd do likewise. He's pragmatic when it comes to selection when it makes sense.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Oh FFS! Nobody's suggesting dropping anybody! There's no reason why young players can't be on the bench though, and get a 10-15 minute run out at appropriate times - nobody needs to be dropped for that to happen.

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
Oh FFS! Nobody's suggesting dropping anybody! There's no reason why young players can't be on the bench though, and get a 10-15 minute run out at appropriate times - nobody needs to be dropped for that to happen.

The post I quoted said that we were persisting with a 35 year old up front... to stop persisting you would need to drop Murray surely?

My response was to that specific point and yes I agree that 10-15 mins from the bench in the correct circumstances is the best way to go.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here