Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Birmingham 12 point penalty for breaking FFP

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
An unpopular view probably on NSC with Redknapp haters wanting his lynching, but each time he was just a senior employee with one or two levels of ownership/management above him. He held no more power than Allardyce, Poyet, etc.

Above Redknapp each time were deluded Risdale types (Storrie at Portsmouth) who were great at spending other peoples money including creditors money, and/or allegedly crooked owners.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Record point deduction after record fine for QPR.

Is there a common link between these two clubs at the time of overspending?

Apart from the financial aspect, which they thoroughly deserve all they get.
Both clubs played out one of the worse bore draws on record, even my QPR mate was struggling to find some + points from the game!

PS: Tomor Hemed didn't do too bad.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Above Redknapp each time were deluded Risdale types (Storrie at Portsmouth) who were great at spending other peoples money including creditors money, and/or allegedly crooked owners.

You don't have to say "allegedly" - Carson Yeung was jailed for money laundering, there's nothing alleged about that.

I agree with the general point though: I'm sure every football manager in the country would like more money to spend - look at Mourinho, manager of one of the richest clubs in the world, moaning about his budget. The point is that responsible owners/CEOs don't let the managers break the bank. Redknapp wasn't at Leeds or Sheff Weds (to pick just two clubs) but they've had/have money problems, Redknapp was at West Ham and they haven't, as the dildo brothers are tight with their money.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Surely they can plead for a lesser penalty on the grounds that they are still crap and the money was wasted?

I was kind of thinking on similar lines, they didn't really benefit so the punishment seems harsh!

All this FFP bollards does my head in, contrived rules that have little impact - The teams that successfully ignore FFP end up in the premier league and thereafter don't give a crap, those that aren't end up in the doo doo in League 1 or beyond....

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
Isn't this for signing a player while under embargo? Not just ffp

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Isn't this for signing a player while under embargo? Not just ffp

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Combination of both I think.

They were under a ‘soft’ embargo whatever that means and they still went out and signed a player which has pi$$ed off both the league and the clubs in it.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Well he managed to offer Stockdale more than we could... and we were heading to the Premier League

He certainly offered him more game time if not more money. Stockdale left as he was going to be sidelined for Ryan.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
They'd had money issues for a few years prior, and paying off both Rowett and Zola wouldn't have been cheap. Redknapp made quite a few signings, and a good percentage would have been on v decent money...

Jota - 6m
Marc Roberts 3.6m
Maxime Colin - 3m
Harlee Dene - 2m
Craig Gardener - 1.6m
David Stockdale- free
Cheike N'Doye - free
Jason Lowe - free

From a club insider the issuewas as much about contract terms - premier League standards for players who struggle in the championship. Their problems lie very much at the door of Chinese owners who think paying more guarantees success but the man who carried it to the nth degree was Redknapp and he has essentially bankrupted the club. A lot of bitterness there.........

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
He said he left to safeguard the future of his family, which is fair enough, but it does suggest they offered a lot of cash!
I have no idea on money but we offered a 1 year contract, Birmingham offered 3, which is where the security comes in. Plus his family are up north and he would be no.2.

Stumpy Tim

I have no idea on money but we offered a 1 year contract, Birmingham offered 3, which is where the security comes in. Plus his family are up north and he would be no.2.

I'm not having a go at Stockdale at all - totally get his decision. But the question was about Birmingham spending too much money, and outbidding a Premier League club suggests this was a good example

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I was kind of thinking on similar lines, they didn't really benefit so the punishment seems harsh!

All this FFP bollards does my head in, contrived rules that have little impact - The teams that successfully ignore FFP end up in the premier league and thereafter don't give a crap, those that aren't end up in the doo doo in League 1 or beyond....

All the teams signed up to it, and agreed to its rules.
All the teams? Brighton didn't ignore it, but did get into the Prem.
As far as I'm aware only Bournemouth were penalised for breaking FFP, and ending up promoted.
Forest, Birmingham, & QPR did, and haven't.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
You don't have to say "allegedly" - Carson Yeung was jailed for money laundering, there's nothing alleged about that.

I agree with the general point though: I'm sure every football manager in the country would like more money to spend - look at Mourinho, manager of one of the richest clubs in the world, moaning about his budget. The point is that responsible owners/CEOs don't let the managers break the bank. Redknapp wasn't at Leeds or Sheff Weds (to pick just two clubs) but they've had/have money problems, Redknapp was at West Ham and they haven't, as the dildo brothers are tight with their money.

Although Poyet went for officially unknown reasons, he was similarly trying to up the ante on TB, never satisfied with the squad in hand. To me, it seemed like the recruitment of a football business savvy CEO and very hands-on PB spelled the end of Poyet's pressure, leading to his departure.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
All the teams signed up to it, and agreed to its rules.
All the teams? Brighton didn't ignore it, but did get into the Prem.
As far as I'm aware only Bournemouth were penalised for breaking FFP, and ending up promoted.
Forest, Birmingham, & QPR did, and haven't.

QPR and Leicester both broke FFP, were promoted and subsequently fined.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here