Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Just came across this whilst decluttering. I may take this 5th place into my time machine and join the super ego showdown at the Prom. View attachment 100182

Reminds me of the old days when you'd have to leave an SAE (that's a self addressed envelope for anyone under 45) and await your results through snail mail. Also noted that you've improved your age grade since then...…………….

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Reminds me of the old days when you'd have to leave an SAE (that's a self addressed envelope for anyone under 45) and await your results through snail mail. Also noted that you've improved your age grade since then...…………….

.......thanks to Parkrun and NSC runners to make it all more competitive.
I probably got those results delivered to my pigeon hole. The Saudi monarchy liked to control and read ones mail, would have been disappointed with those results.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Another couple of nights in Halifax so joined up with a running club for a track session.

2 mile warm up followed by 8 x 600 metres flat out with 200 metre recoveries.

Really enjoyed the session and would like to do more of this type of training as I’m certain it would really improve my speed.

Some good runners there including a 2:34 marathon runner. I make that a shade under 6 minute miles so very impressive.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Another couple of nights in Halifax so joined up with a running club for a track session.

Really enjoyed the session and would like to do more of this type of training as I’m certain it would really improve my speed.

Some good runners there including a 2:34 marathon runner. I make that a shade under 6 minute miles so very impressive.

I await Strava that is a hard session. Good work. I'm about to begin an 8 week of Tuesday interval training into my plan. The secret to not overtraining is to not run any one slower than preceding ones. I'll often pull the last one if ready to die.

Be careful it's training on the edge of overdoing it and injuries can lead to lengthy lay offs. I reckon you'll take 15 + seconds off 5k time.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Sounds good - that's exactly the kind of speed session I get lumped into my plan by the coach when things are going well (this week it was 5x800m at threshold pace with 3 min recoveries for example)......just not at your pace ! Have you thought of joining one of the local 'proper' clubs ? Phoenix or Arena would give you this kind of stuff on a regular basis................

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Sounds good - that's exactly the kind of speed session I get lumped into my plan by the coach when things are going well (this week it was 5x800m at threshold pace with 3 min recoveries for example)......just not at your pace ! Have you thought of joining one of the local 'proper' clubs ? Phoenix or Arena would give you this kind of stuff on a regular basis................

.....Monday night at Withdean for Arena. 2 month waiting list. I'm going to apply just for the track sessions.

Last edited:

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I await Strava that is a hard session. Good work. I'm about to begin an 8 week of Tuesday interval training into my plan. The secret to not overtraining is to not run any one slower than preceding ones. I'll often pull the last one if ready to die.

Be careful it's training on the edge of overdoing it and injuries can lead to lengthy lay offs. I reckon you'll take 15 + seconds off 5k time.

No Strava as I didn’t take my watch. First 5 x 600 was around 2:10 pace. The last 3 was 2:01.

Using the times of my partner I ran 17:24 for 3 miles but of course this was broken down by the 200 recoveries.

Tuesday evenings is probably my one and only evening for a track session, so I shall look into this.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
No Strava as I didn’t take my watch. First 5 x 600 was around 2:10 pace. The last 3 was 2:01.

Using the times of my partner I ran 17:24 for 3 miles but of course this was broken down by the 200 recoveries.

Tuesday evenings is probably my one and only evening for a track session, so I shall look into this.

Worth looking up Tom Ulliots sessions if you can do Tuesdays - they are free - just look him up on Facebook

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Worth looking up Tom Ulliots sessions if you can do Tuesdays - they are free - just look him up on Facebook

Two of my friends run with him and my intention was always to start going along from September as I lose my Tuesday morning run due to work and school drop off commitments.

Am I right in thinking, you attend too?

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Two of my friends run with him and my intention was always to start going along from September as I lose my Tuesday morning run due to work and school drop off commitments.

Am I right in thinking, you attend too?

No I joined the fab goup but I’m nearly always working in London on Tuesdays and Thursdays so never made it. I hear lots of good things about them though.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
For saturday's opening Test, I'm going to be planning on sitting in and letting the big man do the work. I'll try and be close enough to cause him some problems after the final turn but we'll see. He's a man absolutely FLYING, and I've been basically disabled by a virus for the last week and I haven't been able to run for a long time. I've not been in the gym this week at all, no sessions since last thursday. I'll be well rested, which is positive - but out of practice. Saturday I shall run myself into some form and then for the second and third tests I'll be absolutely on it and ready to claw back any aggregate seconds I need to!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
For saturday's opening Test, I'm going to be planning on sitting in and letting the big man do the work. I'll try and be close enough to cause him some problems after the final turn but we'll see. He's a man absolutely FLYING, and I've been basically disabled by a virus for the last week and I haven't been able to run for a long time. I've not been in the gym this week at all, no sessions since last thursday. I'll be well rested, which is positive - but out of practice. Saturday I shall run myself into some form and then for the second and third tests I'll be absolutely on it and ready to claw back any aggregate seconds I need to!

Great positive thoughts as you've obviously been under the weather. Very sporting of you to turn up. Look forward to watching the contest unfold. Should see it 3 times but will miss the final run in.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Great positive thoughts as you've obviously been under the weather. Very sporting of you to turn up. Look forward to watching the contest unfold. Should see it 3 times but will miss the final run in.

I'm not concerned - I'm well rested and I'll be very fresh. I may be out of practice, but I'll be competitive and there are two further tests which I'll be training hard for.

I've had a very indecisive year this year, I've not committed to anything in particular. Training for Bournemouth hasn't happened for various reasons and I've not really achieved much this year. No PBs (except the Half Marathon in Worthing) after destroying all of them last year. Maybe I'll have a good go at smashing my 10 mile record in the Bright10 but other than that, nothing else much has happened. I need to sit down and think about my plans for 2019 and whether I want to do more racing, or what. I've changed jobs within the same company and there's a weekly football game which happens. I might find myself getting back involved with football properly again, I'm not sure really. Just lacking focus, generally.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I'm not concerned - I'm well rested and I'll be very fresh. I may be out of practice, but I'll be competitive and there are two further tests which I'll be training hard for.

I've had a very indecisive year this year, I've not committed to anything in particular. Training for Bournemouth hasn't happened for various reasons and I've not really achieved much this year. No PBs (except the Half Marathon in Worthing) after destroying all of them last year. Maybe I'll have a good go at smashing my 10 mile record in the Bright10 but other than that, nothing else much has happened. I need to sit down and think about my plans for 2019 and whether I want to do more racing, or what. I've changed jobs within the same company and there's a weekly football game which happens. I might find myself getting back involved with football properly again, I'm not sure really. Just lacking focus, generally.

I just tick along when I feel like that and wait to see what happens. Off time is really important.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'll be on the Prom on Saturday. Didn't manage to get out yesterday but managed four miles tonight at very consistant 8.20 pace before either warming down or dying on my behind depending on whether you believe me or Dazzer :lolol:

I too will be watching the battle royale from the point of view of nearly being lapped.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I tried a 'Brick' session for the first time today, doing about 30 minutes on the bike followed by a 30 minute run. It really is strange making that transition from cycling to running, as I found that my legs were sort of numb yet weirdly functional.

Might try that again sometime.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Very kind offer. You're becoming the thread pacing whore though the progressive nature proposed is a bit different to the [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] method :lolol:

I want to see how I go on an eight miler I want to attempt tonight first. I've not been in tremendous shape with the trots, a sore calf and now a bit of a cough coming on.

Not quite sure how to take that. But I DO pride myself on getting the time spot on – the pace might be all over the shop, but I still manage it :lol:

I tried a 'Brick' session for the first time today, doing about 30 minutes on the bike followed by a 30 minute run. It really is strange making that transition from cycling to running, as I found that my legs were sort of numb yet weirdly functional.

Might try that again sometime.

I swear I run faster (albeit only for a few miles) after I've had a 'warm-up' of the legs on the bike – as Sunday's first couple showed, after 63 in the saddle. It's great and I would recommend it. Even after this b@astard next Sunday, I might carry on with the brick training. There must be SOMETHING good about it!

Anyway, I might make an appearance at parkrun. Been away for a couple of days and not trained since Wednesday, but the taper is on. A 10-miler is in the plan running-wise this weekend, but not quite sure how and when I'll fit it in... Deffo won't be the prom though, but I will head down there at some point in the future, just to put myself out of the comfort zone of Hove Park :)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Not quite sure how to take that. But I DO pride myself on getting the time spot on – the pace might be all over the shop, but I still manage it :lol:

Yes. Yes you do :thumbsup:

Apologies to [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] but I think I am going to skip tomorrow. Bright10 is my remaining A race this year and I have just shy of 5 weeks to prepare. Yesterday's run was overdoing it in hindsight and my calves have gone very tight again. Makes a lot more sense to have an extra day's rest and extend Sunday's LSR rather than try another ladder climb over three miles and cripple myself. [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION] could sleep easy tonight if he wasn't on the sesh with [MENTION=238]Uncle Buck[/MENTION] and U2 in Berlin.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here