Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Two shootings in north London - 17yo girl dead

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
FFS Looney grow up. Two young people have just been senselessly killed.

Surely you, as a scoutmaster, must feel this is a waste of a young life, and anyone making cheap comments about it simply is a bellend.

As far as I'm concerned there's a time and a place for being a smartarse in relation to the deaths of others, I know you love your politics, but for once just give it a rest.

What I am or was is irrelevant.
Not caring about an issue, with reasons maybe be seen as callous or cold hearted by some but is not a banning offence. Its not far removed from human nature, if your not involved why should you care? See Hume et al.

Dr Bandler

Dec 17, 2005
Peterborough
I heard an ex gang member talking on the radio, saying there are a number of reasons for knife crime. Most are committed by blacks, but, (his words) you’re not allowed to say that, most are kids from single parent families, but, again , you’re not allowed to say that, a lot are done under the coercion of adults, but, you’re not allowed to say that.
He also said that the cuts to youth clubs, outreach centres, community programs to get kids away from gangs, have had a massive effect. Some of these kids only have the gangs, nobody else gives a toss about them.

This sounds an accurate and comprehensive description. The government should listen to people like this - they know.

I was so dismayed when Osborne cut the funding for youth clubs, etc. This started around the time of the riots as well, so it was obvious that any festering problems would get worse.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I pity you as you are incapable of telling the difference between a troll and legitimate point. Yes freedom of speech does come with responsibilities, would one of them be not posting an opinion that triggers the forum snowflakes?

Not one of your better posts.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
then i dont k ow why you referenced hackney or tottenham mate , large parts of lambeth are nust as bad

Yeah, that's a fair point. It may not have been Lambeth, it could have been Southwark (it was near the border and TBH, I've forgotten the name of the school).

I'm not sure why brightn'ove thinks the teacher was lying. I've worked on a few youth projects since then and, while no-one says they want to be drug dealer, I'm staggered by the amount who want to be pop singer/You Tuber/professional gamer. What the teacher said had a real ring of truth to me.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
I pity you as you are incapable of telling the difference between a troll and legitimate point. Yes freedom of speech does come with responsibilities, would one of them be not posting an opinion that triggers the forum snowflakes?

I agree with you on this up to a point looney, but the OP should, if indeed he was making a political point rather than just being a ********, have then qualified the comment afterwards along the lines of the "black lives don't matter (to white middle class society)" argument. Leaving it as he did was just inviting trouble.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
What I am or was is irrelevant.
Not caring about an issue, with reasons maybe be seen as callous or cold hearted by some but is not a banning offence. Its not far removed from human nature, if your not involved why should you care? See Hume et al.

Here's a word of advice. If you (or anyone else) wants to make a smartarse comment in relation to Ray Wilkins RIP thread on the grounds that he didn't play for the Albion, so why should you care, go ahead, but expect a ban.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
You have easy access to guns then Alf? Why would that be?

i could get one if i wanted , they flooded into this country when yugoslavia went tits up , nust occssionally you might want to put your hands up and swallow that youre wrong or misinformed instead of making silly comments as distraction

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
really ? not the impression i get , we are poles apart in our politics but im sure hes a respected journalist ?

:thumbsup:

I'm not sure when I've exaggerated something. I always try to quote sources and indicate when I may be unsure on something. In this case, I was quoting a teacher (as I made clear) and I had no way of verifying whether or not she was exaggerating but even if it were something like 90% of the boys in her class who said it, it's still a rather sad indictment of the ambitions of that particular group of kids.

SAC

May 21, 2014

I'm not sure when I've exaggerated something. I always try to quote sources and indicate when I may be unsure on something. In this case, I was quoting a teacher (as I made clear) and I had no way of verifying whether or not she was exaggerating but even if it were something like 90% of the boys in her class who said it, it's still a rather sad indictment of the ambitions of that particular group of kids.

I've told you a million times to stop exaggerating.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
i could get one if i wanted , they flooded into this country when yugoslavia went tits up , nust occssionally you might want to put your hands up and swallow that youre wrong or misinformed instead of making silly comments as distraction

Silly comments ? Distraction ? distraction from what Alf ? There are a lot less guns in the UK than there are in America, thats effectively what I said, you disagree on principle because you have to be contrary or are you going to argue the numbers ?

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore

Acquaintance of mine had a similar experience in some inner city schools when he went to talk about his work as a nuclear physicist and careers, life choices etc. He was earning circa £80k pa at the time and the majority of the kids thought that was rubbish money and all wanted to be pro footballers or rappers / pop stars (he didn't mention anything about drug dealers, but the unrealistic earnings potential, fueled by high-profile media stories, celebrity TV / social media etc is part of the problem of course). He tried telling them that he was on about three times the national average wage at the time, and that even this average was skewed by high-earners and that most people were on considerably less than the average, but they just didn't believe him. He told them they were in for a big shock when they left school then and again they laughed. Where do you start when that is the prevailing attitude (albeit some of it presumably peer-induced bravado)?

Last edited:

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
I agree with you on this up to a point looney, but the OP should, if indeed he was making a political point rather than just being a ********, have then qualified the comment afterwards along the lines of the "black lives don't matter (to white middle class society)" argument. Leaving it as he did was just inviting trouble.

Maybe.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Here's a word of advice. If you (or anyone else) wants to make a smartarse comment in relation to Ray Wilkins RIP thread on the grounds that he didn't play for the Albion, so why should you care, go ahead, but expect a ban.

Why would I do that? Have to say I didn't rate him as good a player as some do but a good commentator,thats my opinion. I dont "rip troll" memorial threads or pages on FB, not my bag.

Not the same thing as this topic.

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood
Acquaintance of mine had a similar experience in some inner city schools when he went to talk about his work as a nuclear physicist and careers, life choices etc. He was earning circa £80k pa at the time and the majority of the kids thought that was rubbish money and all wanted to be pro footballers or rappers / pop stars (he didn't mention anything about drug dealers, but the unrealistic earnings potential, fueled by high-profile media stories, celebrity TV / social media etc is part of the problem of course). He tried telling them that he was on about three times the national average wage at the time, and that even this average was skewed by high-earners and that most people were on considerably less than the average, but they just didn't believe him. He told them they were in for a big shock when they left school then and again they laughed. Where do you start when that is the prevailing attitude (albeit some of it presumably peer-induced bravado)?

Wait, kids want to be footballers or pop stars rather than nuclear physicists? I'm shocked.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here