Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

manintheblackpajamas

Oct 30, 2006
The Tourmalet is a beast, but the steep sections on the Hautecam worry me more. So yeah, it's not going to be easy. However, when it's done, it's done!

I hope you are as pragmatic halfway up!

Have you got accommodation and transport all sorted? How many days can you get over there for in the end?

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I hope you are as pragmatic halfway up!

Have you got accommodation and transport all sorted? How many days can you get over there for in the end?

I've only got the Monday off...

Two friends, also cycling, are driving down in a campervan on the Thursday, taking my bike and my stuff, and I'm flying out on Saturday morning. We are camping, that's sorted!

There will be NO pragmatism at all on the day.

Are you doing it? How are you getting there, where are you staying etc?

I'm doing it, and it's partly your fault. :annoyed:

manintheblackpajamas

Oct 30, 2006
Are you doing it? How are you getting there, where are you staying etc?

I'm doing it, and it's partly your fault. :annoyed:

we've got the same 4 doing it this year, but with a few improvements...

Namely, one of the guys is taking a leisurely week long drive down there in his new camper van with our bikes and tents whilst three of us fly in.

Also we are going for ten nights this time and seeing the pros show us how it's done a few days after. Looking forward to it but I had 4 months off the bike after the last one so my December training rides have felt tough so far!

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
we've got the same 4 doing it this year, but with a few improvements...

Namely, one of the guys is taking a leisurely week long drive down there in his new camper van with our bikes and tents whilst three of us fly in.

Also we are going for ten nights this time and seeing the pros show us how it's done a few days after. Looking forward to it but I had 4 months off the bike after the last one so my December training rides have felt tough so far!

That's the way to do it. Being a teacher, though, it just ain't possible for me to do it like that.

I've found it tough to even get on my bike recently, what with the storms etc. Still, plenty of time yet...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Speed ch4 now could be worth a watch trying to beat the world record for fastest speed on a bike. 110mph : :eek:
Clearly the man there is a little 'light in the cleat'.

Why wasn't he right on Laura's lycra clad bottom from the start, and why the hell did he try and overtake it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I now need surgery just to uncurl my toes.

and that was only the test run.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Time for me to post this again then:

[yt]lnYp4srEooI[/yt]

manintheblackpajamas

Oct 30, 2006
That's the way to do it. Being a teacher, though, it just ain't possible for me to do it like that.

I've found it tough to even get on my bike recently, what with the storms etc. Still, plenty of time yet...

there really is. I am feeling terrible on rides at the moment, but trying to remember how it felt this time last year to keep me motivated!

Keep me updated on when you can get out for training rides/ sportives.

I know some teachers and know the leave is good when it's holidays, but also pretty inflexible!

D

Deleted member 22389

Completely put off road cycling at the moment, as I was nearly knocked off my bike three weeks ago. Ever since then my confidence with other drivers and having to always second guess what they are going to do has turned cycling in to a headache for me now. Even the day after, I had some stupid driver cut in front of me at one of the road islands where one side of the road has priority over the other.
They misjudged the speed of the oncoming car, so you guessed it I needed to apply the brakes otherwise I would have ended up in the back. Sick of it at the moment.

Thinking of getting a mountain bike now, at least I can go offroad and keep as far away from cars as possible. I drive myself, so understand to keep my distance and give cyclists space, shame the same does not seem to compute with other drivers. I have seen bad cyclists too.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hang in there [MENTION=22389]bashlsdir[/MENTION] we've all done it.
You know what to do, back to basics:-

- simple rides.
- nice day.
- not at rush hour or school pick up times.
- steer clear of tricky and/or fast descents.
- have cake stops.

You'll be back soon enough, don't let the odd moron grind you down and win.

D

Deleted member 22389

Hang in there @bashlsdir we've all done it.
You know what to do, back to basics:-

- simple rides.
- nice day.
- not at rush hour or school pick up times.
- steer clear of tricky and/or fast descents.
- have cake stops.

You'll be back soon enough, don't let the odd moron grind you down and win.

Love cycling. I have cycled for years and what happened a few weeks back really hit home to me how vunerable we are against the chunks of metal. They can be killing machines when people do not pay attention.

This is where I got cut up the day after
https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=pe...=j7wjSPGuh-JxlbMbKEANTQ&cbp=12,305.85,,0,0.35

Heard the car behind, then suddenly pulls in front of me blocking my path and blocking the small cycle path on the left of the island. Not paying attention and not judging the speed of the car coming the other way.

Sometimes I feel like cyclists are treated like crap on our roads.
When I cycled in France a few years back every single driver waited, they gave cyclists clearance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Love cycling. I have cycled for years and what happened a few weeks back really hit home to me how vunerable we are against the chunks of metal. They can be killing machines when people do not pay attention.
T'is true, there's only one person getting killed to death and that's us.

But to flip the perspective you've been cycling years, and how many near misses have you had?

What happened could have happened with you in another car, crossing the road or waiting at a bus stop.
You can't legislate for the morons (whether that be a driving one or a cycling one) you just have to be on top of the situation, which I assume (as you're still with us) you were, so well done.

D

Deleted member 22389

T'is true, there's only one person getting killed to death and that's us.

But to flip the perspective you've been cycling years, and how many near misses have you had?

What happen could have happened with you in another car, crossing the road or waiting at a bus stop.
You can't legislate for the morons (whether that be a driving one or a cycling one) you just have to be on top of the situation, which I assume (as you're still with us) you were, so well done.

That was my worst incident so yes compared to the years I have been cycling it's not a bad record. I honestly feel like pulling drivers over and teling them what they did wrong, but I don't want a broken nose lol.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That was my worst incident so yes compared to the years I have been cycling it's not a bad record. I honestly feel like pulling drivers over and teling them what they did wrong, but I don't want a broken nose lol.
Oh and for the record had this conversation been face to face my opening gambit would have been:-

'So if you're not cycling anymore can I have your wheels' :facepalm: :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here