Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Give Tony Bloom his end of term mark

What mark would you give Tony Bloom for his term's (season's) work?

• A+

Votes: 4 2.4%
  • A

• A-

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • B+

• B

Votes: 6 3.6%
  • B-

• C+

• C

Votes: 10 5.9%
  • C-

Votes: 23 13.6%
  • D+

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • D

Votes: 34 20.1%
  • D-

Votes: 21 12.4%
  • E+

• E

Votes: 13 7.7%
  • E-

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • F

Votes: 21 12.4%

• Total voters

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Dross, Dire, Depressing and Disjointed it's a big fat "D" from me I'm afraid! May not improve much next season! :facepalm:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Was a little concerned that in the programme notes yesterday he implied that the main reason for our problems this year were the unplanned managerial changes. Doesn't seem to have done Watford much harm, does it?

He didn't say it was the main problem. He said it brought "upheaval" and "difficult to manage" as it was mid-season. Watford had several managers but all before Oct 7th.

He also said "I felt we needed a change in direction in our recruitment structure" . He also said "we know we have a responsibility to you, our tremendously loyal fans, to build a team you can be proud of - and we accept that that have been more lows than any of us would have liked this season"..he also said he "sincerely hoped" next season would be "much improved".

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
an F from me i'm afraid , as someone else mentioned, hotels and real estate spring to mind
regards
DR

I know PPF you love this stuff but enough....
Tony Bloom spent £205m of his money on the Albion so he could build a hotel ?
Tony Bloom who has been a fan of the club all his life and probably can't bear to see the Goldstone sitting there as a Burger King and Toys R Us has done all this for a hotel. .
This accusation that several are repeating that he's effectively going to sell the club from underneath us, and interested in "real estate" is insulting given the clubs history, our previous owners track record and also has no basis in fact.
He's never going to get his money back from the training ground, and stadium. He's also never ever going to get his money back from CMS, Agustien, Gus, Vicente, Bridge and their wages/fees which is where most of his money goes every season.
Even done in humour its a disgrace.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Stunned anyone could mark this disaster of a season anything better than an E. Almost any other year we'd be heading to Div 1 right now and entirely down to incredibly poor leadership right at the top. One thing Bloom has demonstrated in buckets is he hasn't a clue when it comes to the football side of running the club.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Stunned anyone could mark this disaster of a season anything better than an E. Almost any other year we'd be heading to Div 1 right now and entirely down to incredibly poor leadership right at the top. One thing Bloom has demonstrated in buckets is he hasn't a clue when it comes to the football side of running the club.

Which is why he doesn't run the club. Paul Barber does

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
B+. With the benefit of hindsight, he clearly put his trust and a considerable amount of money in people that have let him down. But he remained loyal as long as he could and didn't panic. A difficult season with many lessons learnt no doubt, but one that has not been as disastrous as it could have been.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
E- based only on his decisions relating to the football side of the club this season. Hyypia was a gamble that failed, Hughton hasn't looked much better- surely there was somebody a bit more inspirational among the applicants? Tony needs football people running the club and I'm not sure he has them there right now.

Dec 29, 2011

He delegated running of the club to the best in the business. If he hasn't a clue and picked the best people on paper, surely it's not his fault?

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
D- clearly put loads of cash in but sucked it out of the team again. No point having a 100 million quid stadium in L1. We got away with it this season. Hope he has learned his lesson and can invest in the squad this summer. I know its easy to spend other peoples money, but he really needs to invest as current squad has only a few players that I would consider Champ standard. Massive job this summer.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Which is why he doesn't run the club. Paul Barber does

I wonder if we could sort this out. When Paul Barber is criticised it is repeatedly claimed on here that he just follows orders from Tony Bloom. When Tony Bloom is criticised it is said that Paul Barber actually runs things. It reminds me of two small boys each telling the policeman that the other one threw the brick.

For what it's worth I believe that Tony Bloom made an error in assuming that a football club could be run in the same way as any other service organisation and brought a raft of money men on to the board and a chief executive who thought pretty well the same as he did.

Clinical efficiency on the one hand and an appreciation of the need for board members, staff, supporters, suppliers, the wider community and above all the players to be united in a mutual understanding of the history and spirit and ambitions of the club on the other are NOT mutually exclusive. In fact, you could argue that if you haven't got the second then you cannot have the first.

For a distance it seems that those responsible for running AFC Bournemouth have got everyone connected with the club singing from, as it were, the same team sheet. You can see the result. Those at the top of the Albion haven't. You can see the result.

(PS It is easy to sympathise with Tony Bloom. His investment is vast and he must have been wounded by the losses generated in that financially calamitous opening period at the Amex. You can understand why he felt the need to be surrounded by hard-nosed money men and an expensive CEO with a big metro-soccer CV. The balance is wrong though, and it could end up costing us dear.)

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Went with a C. Infrastructure is class, both stadium and now the training ground and will surely reap the benefits of that in years to come.

However, Hyypia was a poor appointment, which from the outside looking in, was obvious. (All I can assume is that he interviewed brilliantly)
Recruitment was piss poor and it's not hindsight to say that you could see that from the opening game. (Why couldn't they?)
January window was verging on a con trick considering the statements made before hand.

Because he is a very clever man and a true fan. I'm assuming that he is working to some bigger plan that I am not seeing on the playing side, this summer should tell us more about where we are going in the medium term.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Cheers for the £200m stadium and the £100m training centre, but you're utterly clueless and you can f*ck off now. :thumbsup:

Superseagull69

May 8, 2010
MEDWAY
D- Disastrous pre season with the managerial appointment and recruitment.
He flew to Australia with the clueless Finn still in charge and even tried to talk him round when he resigned.
It would've been an E but is excused because of his investment in the club.

I couldn't of put it better myself. Exactly my reasoning for giving him a D too.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
C-. Appeared complacent about the possibility of sleepwalking into League One, as the club almost certainly would have done if Hyypia hadn't done the decent thing and fallen on his sword. Left up to Bloom, Hyypia would probably still be in place now. Still, allowances made as TB is fairly new to this football chairman lark and will hopefully have learned valuable lessons from this season's brush with relegation. Needs to decide though on his strategy for unlocking the riches of the Premier League. Making the play-offs isn't the end point, it's the start point.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Maybe one day TB will get tired of putting £10 million plus a year into the club and also look for a financial return on his £200k investment. Then we might well have a 'money man' appointed who could take us up and then strip us naked as we plummet down the leagues. Where are Blackpool going to be in 3 years time ?

If he feels he is not doing a good job and supporters are telling him that, it could happen. What would you do ?

Hopefully though TB takes little or no notice of some of the comments on this notice board and his enthusiasm is unchanged. However the stakes have changed since he started on this venture. The premiership is stronger, there is much more money involved in the Championship with parachute payments and promotion more difficult. We cannot just buy players that will get us up, a team has to be nurtured.

As Gus once said 'be careful what you wish for'

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here