Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Tom Daley announces baby news

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Growing up without a mother or without a father is difficult and painful for a child. That is not offensive, and I'm not judging single parents or children raised by them when I say that.

You are aware you are telling someone else what their life is like as a child of a single parent, rather than actually listening to them tell you what their life has been like as a child of a single parent?!

Jan 30, 2008
As I said, just because you're entitled to an opinion, you're not obliged to give it.

I can debate the merits of their case with others. It's just you don't have a case - this post is an example - you've resorted to homophobic gibberish. Of course, decent society is going to disagree with that.

Why isn't he entitled to give his opinion ????
regards
DR

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
WOW! Definitely the most insightful thing I will read today, maybe this week, possibly this year!

[I re-read that reply and it sounding like it was dripping in sarcasm! Promise it wasn't! There genuinely couldn't be a better way to end this argument.]

Ha! It did a bit, but I appreciate it.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
They will only be picked on because there will be other outside considerations which would allow that sort of thing to fester. Thankfully, this isn't 1955 any more, and schools - for the most part - don't tolerate that kind of bullying. Especially when, once upon a time, single parents (for instance) were considered almost a circus sideshow.

At my ex's school, there were several same-sex parents, and not one child suffered any form of bullying or grief as a result.

We are not born homophobic; we only pick it up through any ignorance that is prevalent in society (see the OP's post) - including, in many cases sadly, the parents or the wider family.

With respect Al your ex’s school is hardly an example of a mainstream urban school is it now [emoji23]

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
But you have to understand that to many people, that is equivalent to saying;

“I don’t think black people should be able to have children.”

That’s why there is such a hostile reaction, because to those people it is a pretty disgusting viewpoint to have.

This is getting stupid. That really is rubbish. Not equivalent to that at all

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Growing up without a mother or without a father is difficult and painful for a child. That is not offensive, and I'm not judging single parents or children raised by them when I say that.

Growing up with a mother or father who aren't very good compared to other mothers and fathers is also difficult and painful for that child compared to how it could otherwise be?

Why should mothers and fathers, who aren't perfect, be allowed to raise children when this will result in difficulty and pain for that child?

In fact life results in difficulty and pain for everyone, should no one be allowed to raise children?

Also life can also result in comfort and joy, provided the environment is happy and loving?

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

No it isn't. It was absolutely fine.

I actually get the feeling you are not trying to be offensive, but you are.

You have an opinion, but that is all it is, an opinion, not a statement of fact.

People are not the same, we are not homogenous beings. One persons experience of a situation can differ from another. My experience was a positive one but I would not automatically assume just because it was ok for me it was not for someone else.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box

Growing up with a narcissistic mother and a cold, emotion-less father is difficult and painful for a child. Give me the choice of my heterosexual but largely dis-functional parents or two gay men (or indeed, two lesbian women) who have fought past your and other people's prejudices to make a very public demonstration of how "wanted" and loved I would be as their son and I would swap my childhood in a heartbeat! In a f*cking heartbeat.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
regards
DR
You can't even read and yet you respond. It's really quite sad. Like a beached whale desperately thrashing about on a beach, except there's no one willing to push you back into the sea. Because the whale is a ****.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I don't feel threatened by a homosexual couple, and I do understand how it must feel, I sympathize deeply with the desire to have children with the person you love, it's natural and I think almost all of us have that desire.

The problem is that because I don't agree that children should be raised by same sex couples, it is assumed that I am threatened by them, or don't understand how they feel, and I must have some kind of prejudice against them (and these assumptions are usually expressed in insults).

The way I see it a child needs a mother and a father. This is not to say that a child of a same sex couple won't be loved, or provided for etc, it's just to say that the two roles provided by a male and a female are necessary for the healthy development of a child, a single parent household (absent father or mother) presents problems for a child and I believe the same of same sex parenting.

Others may not agree with me, but, without any kind of malice towards any same sex partners, I believe it's in the best interests of the child to have a mother and a father.

I also believe that for all the joy and happiness that having a child can bring to a same sex couple, the interests of the child are primary. The reality is that no child being raised by a same sex couple couldn't have been raised in a family with a mother and father, and because that is, in my view, what is in the best interests of the child, I think that should be the priority.

I see this move towards providing children for same sex couples as being more in service of the needs of the couple than the needs of the child, and that bothers me.

Please don't call me homophobic, because I am not.

Ok. How do you feel about same sex partners adopting - putting aside all the issues associated with adoption.

After all, there are many children out there that do not have parents or are in abusive family environments that need stable parents.

If that were acceptable, then would you consider your feelings towards this issue as moveable?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
This is getting stupid. That really is rubbish. Not equivalent to that at all

But it is, to many people. You may not like that fact, but it is. They would say gay people have exactly as much right to raise children as you do, therefore any comparison (black, disabled, jewish) is basically the same.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Growing up with a narcissistic mother and a cold, emotion-less father is difficult and painful for a child. Give me the choice of my heterosexual but largely dis-functional parents or two gay men (or indeed, two lesbian women) who have fought past your and other people's prejudices to make a very public demonstration of how "wanted" and loved I would be as their son and I would swap my childhood in a heartbeat! In a f*cking heartbeat.

I'm not going into details here, but so would I. I had a very very unhappy childhood.

Jan 30, 2008
You can't even read and yet you respond. It's really quite sad. Like a beached whale desperately thrashing about on a beach, except there's no one willing to push you back into the sea. Because the whale is a ****.
You sound like you're getting your self at it on this thread ,getting all aggressive and shouty have you got a mother and father
regards
DR

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Would any of those against homosexuals having children object if they only had one son, who was gay and wanted to raise your grandchild with another man or would you rather deny yourselves the years of joy of a grandchild because you don't believe they should exist?

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
regards
DR

Everyone is entitled to give their opinion. I, for one, would never want to silence someone who I disagree with. We shouldn't censor people with objectional or incorrect or just different viewpoints.

But... if you do give your opinion and it's an offensive, unpopular or a factually incorrect opinion then everyone else is entitled to call you out on it.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
After being sat in a maternity ward in December and overhearing the couple next to us call a midwife a "useless piece of shit" whilst they held their new born baby, followed by the father then farting and burping continuously, followed by the grandparents visiting their new family member and claiming "she is ****ing gorgeous mate", I find it somewhat difficult to get overly upset about a nice gay couple having a child and whether they are suitable parents.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here