Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not a very good start to the year.

“More than 21,000 UK jobs have been cut or put at risk in the first three months of 2018 as retail store closures, company restructuring and Carillion’s collapse resulted in a bleak quarter.
A Press Association analysis reveals that 21,413 staff have already been made redundant or had their role threatened, most of them at established high-street chains.
Since January, Toys R Us and Maplin have filed for administration, while New Look and Select are closing stores. Last week, the Bargain Booze owner Conviviality said it planned to call in administrators in the next 10 days, with 2,600 jobs at risk. The dining sector has also suffered, with Prezzo, Byron and Jamie’s Italian shutting restaurants and culling hundreds of jobs.
Retailers have been hammered by Brexit-fuelled inflation, soaring business rates and falling consumer confidence.
Supermarket giants have also made deep cuts to shop floor staff, with Morrisons, Sainsbury’s and Tesco axing 5,200 roles between them.”

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Not a very good start to the year.

“More than 21,000 UK jobs have been cut or put at risk in the first three months of 2018 as retail store closures, company restructuring and Carillion’s collapse resulted in a bleak quarter.
A Press Association analysis reveals that 21,413 staff have already been made redundant or had their role threatened, most of them at established high-street chains.
Since January, Toys R Us and Maplin have filed for administration, while New Look and Select are closing stores. Last week, the Bargain Booze owner Conviviality said it planned to call in administrators in the next 10 days, with 2,600 jobs at risk. The dining sector has also suffered, with Prezzo, Byron and Jamie’s Italian shutting restaurants and culling hundreds of jobs.
Retailers have been hammered by Brexit-fuelled inflation, soaring business rates and falling consumer confidence.
Supermarket giants have also made deep cuts to shop floor staff, with Morrisons, Sainsbury’s and Tesco axing 5,200 roles between them.”

This is hardly surprising when you consider where we finished 2017, bottom of the G7 and in the G20 drop zone

Capture.JPG

#countingthecostof brexit

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Going back to fishing, I had a peruse over the weekend in a pub of the paper copy of 'Fishing News' - I've never read such vitriol from Brexit voters toward the Government before in the articles and comments as I did in that.

It was also explained to me that with the 'Landing Obligation' being brought in, coupled with the loss of say on the quotas during the transition, the under 10 Metre Fleet, such as in the Eastern Channel, have not got what they were told or believed before the vote, because they're now worse off when we leave The EU in a years time than actually being in it with the transitional arrangement and further people going out of business or leaving what's left of the industry before 2020 doesn't appear to be an exaggeration.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Going back to fishing, I had a peruse over the weekend in a pub of the paper copy of 'Fishing News' - I've never read such vitriol from Brexit voters toward the Government before in the articles and comments as I did in that.

It was also explained to me that with the 'Landing Obligation' being brought in, coupled with the loss of say on the quotas during the transition, the under 10 Metre Fleet, such as in the Eastern Channel, have not got what they were told or believed before the vote, because they're now worse off when we leave The EU in a years time than actually being in it with the transitional arrangement and further people going out of business or leaving what's left of the industry before 2020 doesn't appear to be an exaggeration.

They really need to get over it, they won

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
This is hardly surprising when you consider where we finished 2017, bottom of the G7 and in the G20 drop zone

View attachment 95742

But let's be positive! We'll be able to do some cracking trade deals before Global Britain explodes on to the big wide world as we leave the EU! Don't say we haven't got enough time! New Zealand did a deal with Singapore in the amount of time we've allowed ourselves! And I think there were a couple of other examples, one involving Thailand! And as for Canada saying we can't just roll over the deal we've already got with them, don't believe it - their prime minister johnny's got a French-sounding name - he'll soon be gone!

larus

View attachment 95742

That is an embarrassment. Of course there will the extremists on here saying 8ts nothing to do with Brexit #headinthesand #economicallyilliterate

OMFG, give it a rest for Christ sake. WTF do simple on-off stats like this show.

Germany is going well because it BENEFITS from an undervalued currency (by this I mean that due to it's relative economic strength it should have a currency which is strengthening, but it being balanced by the weakness of other EURO countries).
The Eurozone is still running QE which is BOOSTING is fvcking economy. Draghi can't stop QE as the markets don't want to buy the debt of the weaker nations. Yeah, all rosy in the land of delusions :lol: .
Japan is running Abenomics (increasing it's nationbal debt). 3-japan-government-debt-to-gdp@3x.png
Italy, yeah, what a powerhouse of industry. Italy 1.PNG

What about levels of unemployment/employment? Hmm, very quiet about that.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
OMFG, give it a rest for Christ sake. WTF do simple on-off stats like this show.

Germany is going well because it BENEFITS from an undervalued currency (by this I mean that due to it's relative economic strength it should have a currency which is strengthening, but it being balanced by the weakness of other EURO countries).
The Eurozone is still running QE which is BOOSTING is fvcking economy. Draghi can't stop QE as the markets don't want to buy the debt of the weaker nations. Yeah, all rosy in the land of delusions :lol: .
Japan is running Abenomics (increasing it's nationbal debt). View attachment 95743
Italy, yeah, what a powerhouse of industry. View attachment 95744

What about levels of unemployment/employment? Hmm, very quiet about that.

So, you’re blaming the Euro for Germany’s fine economic form. Have I got this right?

larus

So, you’re blaming the Euro for Germany’s fine economic form. Have I got this right?

Er no. I’m not BLAMING the EURO. What I said is that Germany benefits from high exports as, if it had it’s own currency, this would be strengthening, so it would make the German exports more expensive. However, as the Euro is based on the Euro average, then this is not happening, so Germany is benefiting. This is widely accepted as being the case.

However, there are hidden risk to Germany in the TARGET 2 liabilities which is on the hook for. The only solution is fiscal transfers, which is not palatable in the Fatherland, so the internal balances will keep getting larger.

Italy wants to abaondon the restrictions on the Fiscal Pact (the 3%), so it will be interesting to see if democracy wins of the EU elite win.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Not all bad news on Carillion:

real news.png

Plus more good news on the industrial side:

biz.png

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
God, you really are thick aren’t you.

We AREN”T IN THE EUROZONE.

One might think It rather hypocritical for a person who didn't even know we weren't in the Eurozone (clues in the name!) to berate Leave voters for stupidity or being misinformed :lolol::facepalm::lolol:

Classic.

larus

One might think It rather hypocritical for a person who didn't even know we weren't in the Eurozone (clues in the name!) to berate Leave voters for stupidity or being misinformed :lolol::facepalm::lolol:

Classic.

Same person who was bed-wetting when the Dow had a one-day crash of about 1,000 pts. Blaming it all on Trump. Then went very quiet when I pointed out to him the huge percentage rise of the Dow since Trump took office.

A total economic illiterate - but tries to make himself look smart by quoting newspaper articles. As soon as he formulates his own ideas - well, enough said eh! :lol:

larus

Not all bad news on Carillion:

View attachment 95749

I really must ask you to stop posting fake news. We all know that the UK is in recession (as per another economic illiterate aka [MENTION=33848]The Clamp[/MENTION] ), so this needs to be filed with the job creation figures, the unemployment figures, the on-going level of inward investment. It's all crap you see - all that matters is what the Remainer forecasters say. Actual data is not relevant.

Last edited:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Interesting poll out in Denmark, support for Dexit has tanked since our vote. Always interesting what outsiders make of our impending mess...

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Interesting poll out in Denmark, support for Dexit has tanked since our vote. Always interesting what outsiders make of our impending mess...

Are they in the Eurozone?

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Wonder if Bob the Nob remembers this?

bogtrotter.png

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills