Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Club anthems

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Great shout from [MENTION=33924]Nixonator[/MENTION], YNWA truly is a frightful mawkish dirge. As soon as I hear those dreary opening notes dribbling out of the tannoy I feel like self-harming.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I like Cardiff singing Men of Harlech. The Welsh team singing Land of my Fathers always sounds good too.

Never in the history of football fans 'interpreting' song, has a piece of music been destroyed so completely as the Welsh national and Cardiff fans do to Men Of Harlech. Oh, and Harlech is about 3 hours from Cardiff, how does that work?

Exhibit a:-

Exhibit b:-
https://youtu.be/6an6PEEe0dM

Never in the history of football fans 'interpreting' song, has a piece of music been destroyed so completely as the Welsh national and Cardiff fans do to Men Of Harlech. Oh, and Harlech is about 3 hours from Cardiff, how does that work?

Exhibit a:-

Exhibit b:-
https://youtu.be/6an6PEEe0dM
The problem with Men of Harlech is that there are so many versions of the words that it is impossible to gather thousands of people together and get them to sing the same anthem. The version I was taught at school in Wales begins with the line "Hark I hear the foe advancing ..." - nothing like the song that features in Zulu. The best that anyone can hope for is a decent hum. And that effort at West Ham isn't.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I like Cardiff singing Men of Harlech. The Welsh team singing Land of my Fathers always sounds good too.

Must admit i like Men of Harlech, Ive seen a YouTube video of Swansea fans singing it going down an escalator in a London tube station. Ive got no Welsh connections but I think that anthem sounds great.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Do Wigan come out to "I'm a Believer" or is just something that all 23 of them sing throughout a game?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
The problem with Men of Harlech is that there are so many versions of the words that it is impossible to gather thousands of people together and get them to sing the same anthem. The version I was taught at school in Wales begins with the line "Hark I hear the foe advancing ..." - nothing like the song that features in Zulu. The best that anyone can hope for is a decent hum. And that effort at West Ham isn't.

I know it as the Natonal anthem of the ancient Briton as sung on hiking trip's at uni :shrug:

mooey

Mar 30, 2012
Ours is the best, naturally. Its totally uniquely relevant to our club. Its a pity most fans STILL bin off the stirringly iconic "you can tell them all that we stand or fall" line in favour of nonsensical gibberish "we're going up to win the cup" line. That takes a slight edge off of it, but otherwise, its immense.

Worst is obviously Glad All Over. A completely meaningless piece of 60s tripe by a bunch of no-marks that is literally ONLY used for the big "DUM DUM" drum bit in the chorus. Thats it. It certainly suits the suffocating naffness of that rancid little boil of a club, but as an anthem its the absolute pits.

I love the going up to win the cup when I started going thats all that was sung back in the early 90 s so there is no way im ever going to change its only since the last few season stand or fall has been sung out by the jcl yes its the original song but I ve been going for over 20 years constantly and never heard anyone sing it apart from the last few seasons each to there own though

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
I love the going up to win the cup when I started going thats all that was sung back in the early 90 s so there is no way im ever going to change its only since the last few season stand or fall has been sung out by the jcl yes its the original song but I ve been going for over 20 years constantly and never heard anyone sing it apart from the last few seasons each to there own though

I agree that back in the 80's when I started going it was always der der der.... etc and "going up to win the cup". However it sounds so much better now with the proper words, and the "Stand or Fall"lyric, is a fantastic line with real meaning. It's noticeable that at the last couple of away games the 2nd verse has also been sung. It's a unique song for The Albion and sounds great when sung at the right speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Indeed. My mum was taught a version that went like this (I can only remember the beginning):

"Men of Harlech! In the Hollow,
Do you hear like rushing billow
Wave on wave that surging follow
Battle's distant sound?
Tis the tramp of Saxon foemen,
Saxon spearmen, Saxon bowmen,
Be they knights or hinds or yeomen,
They shall bite the ground!"

Very anti-English! (The 'Zulu' version was written specifically for the film)

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
37 posts and no mention of YEOVIL :nono:

Day or Night, I'm green and white
We are Yeovil Town, Oo Arr

The opening verse is genius:

I was born on a Yeovil Saturday
It was pissing down with rain
My Mum said "What a big head"