Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anybody Else Getting Just A Wee Bit Bored Of Pop Tart Ed Sheeran?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
He currently has 16 songs in the top 20 on the charts. This would indicate that a lot of people don't find him annoying.

Do people actually go into shops and buy records anymore or is downloads and more to the point that actually proves there is actually feck all out there interesting rather than how talented he is....

Contrived music industry bollox, same old same old.

Radio 1 is terrible these days, it's all geared towards a London audience.

Radio 2 is where it's at - played "Black Dog" at 7:20am last week and this week i think i heard that that the record of the week is the latest from Deep Purple!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Can't name a single one of his songs. Nice bloke I hear but appears to epitomise how everything has gone - absolute saturation and domination by a tiny minority who have such control they can squeeze out so called competition. I genuienly feel sorry for yoof today when it comes to music. Not nearly as exciting as growing up and discovering in 50s-90s. Still great music being made but as a fan there's now no shops, top 40 chart show, real surprises, NME and most of all no TDK A90 tapes! Anyway, you know what I mean. Hunting to find a record was quite exciting before going home to play or listen with your friends. Now, click download and listen in isolation on your smart phone headphones...zzzzz. And there was no ticketmaster so you could actually get to see bands without paying an absolute fortune because some Bot sucked up 20,000 before you can select which concert date you want. Nah, music today is quite a sterile affair. Christ, you don't even own it digitally once purchased.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
He currently has 16 songs in the top 20 on the charts. This would indicate that a lot of people don't find him annoying.
that actually means **** all with todays marketing power/control. The ridiculousness of it should be enough for anyone with an ounce of sense to see that. Come on BB, you're better than that. Next you'll be saying Bewitched were amazing simply because they had more no.1's than the Beatles (but a 1000th of the sales). Diana's death showed how easy it is to control music, it was the late nineties when the marketeers took control and music died to a large extent.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Not my cup of tea, a bit 'one song', if you know what I mean, but he is obviously a success and has a following, so good for him.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
I don't dislike Ed Sheeran, but I've just heard his latest Irish ditty of a song and it is horrrrrrrrrrendous!

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Typical UK.
As soon as anyone is successful those "in the know" knock them.
I am amazed how many NSC fans are fans of obscure bands/singers and are completely meh about anyone the doing well.
No doubt Rag and bone man next to be rubbished?

Bet NSC would have been rubbishing the Beatles by 1965 :)

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Can't name a single one of his songs. Nice bloke I hear but appears to epitomise how everything has gone - absolute saturation and domination by a tiny minority who have such control they can squeeze out so called competition. I genuienly feel sorry for yoof today when it comes to music. Not nearly as exciting as growing up and discovering in 50s-90s. Still great music being made but as a fan there's now no shops, top 40 chart show, real surprises, NME and most of all no TDK A90 tapes! Anyway, you know what I mean. Hunting to find a record was quite exciting before going home to play or listen with your friends. Now, click download and listen in isolation on your smart phone headphones...zzzzz. And there was no ticketmaster so you could actually get to see bands without paying an absolute fortune because some Bot sucked up 20,000 before you can select which concert date you want. Nah, music today is quite a sterile affair. Christ, you don't even own it digitally once purchased.

You've absolutely hit the nail on the head here. When I worked in London back in the 70s I was in and out of record shops each and every day. Now the only mainstream shop is the behemoth that is HMV who seem to be more interested in selling DVDs and games rather than music. Sheeran and Adele have just hit upon a formula that sells and are relentlessly cranking out "product" which they know will sell to people with no imagination.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
quite like the reggae version of one of his tunes.. Hes generally not my cup of tea, but does seem to be one of the better songwriters of the moment, and women seem to love him.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I like him. He'll never be my 'all time' favourite singer but i've a few of his songs on a playlist. His talent and success is undeniable but it's all about taste - I don't 'get' people like Stormzy but he's successful so good luck to them.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
I have heard of him, but have never heard him. One of the advantages of never listening to radio 1 and never watching the sort of tellybox programmes the Ed probably appears on - I'm guessing now: Pebble Mill at One; Ant and Dec; The Des O'Connor show; Magpie; the Lottery programme?

I

This. My only observation is that upon seeing a picture of him I assumed was known for having a bit part in The Lord of the Rings.

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
He's a talented person and he seems like a nice guy.
But his music just gives off the aurora of douchebaggery to me. I cringe when I hear it.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.

Music hasn't worsened. It's changed from the 50's-90's.

The same old boring Guitar, bass, drums and singing has sort of past its sell by date. How many more guitar songs does humanity need?

These days, Electronic music has grown massively. There's no charts or silly music awards.There's no celeb culture. There's no artists being selected based on their looks (Ringo). It's all about the music in the electronic scene and it's getting massive. Creative, individual musical talent has never been stronger. We are in the golden era of new music.

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
Music hasn't worsened. It's changed from the 50's-90's.

The same old boring Guitar, bass, drums and singing has sort of past its sell by date. How many more guitar songs does humanity need?

These days, Electronic music has grown massively. There's no charts or silly music awards.There's no celeb culture. There's no artists being selected based on their looks (Ringo). It's all about music in the electronic scene and it's getting massive

More massive than MASSIVE Wednesday?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here