Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2017

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Voting in Hove is going to be difficult ( especially for a Brexiter like me ). Re your statement about the Greens - I'm afraid we've been lumbered with one of those mad frogs - Phélim Mac Cafferty. A completely disagreeable individual.

Phel could do a job, especially as I've lost a filling.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'm not sure I'm "right of centre" but I am struggling with this election big time. May is one of the most unlikeable politicians I can think of, as you say, and prone to change her mind every thirty seconds. Her only answer to questions seems to be to repeat the words "strong" and "stable" until they become meaningless. I've never really been one for the Tories either. However....

Firstly I would not trust Corbyn to run a bath, let alone a country. Maybe May's mantra is to highlight further that the country would be weak and unstable under him and I believe it would. That probably leaves me with the Lib Dems but I can't help but think of them as the party of Bellotti and Baker. Plus my sitting MP, Peter Kyle, has just sent round leaflets that basically completely distance him from the Labour leader, emphasise that he's pro-Remain and ask people to vote for him on his personal record. Then there's the Greens. Some are good. Some are mad as a box full of frogs. I'm not sure which we'll get standing here.

My thoughts at the moment are either to vote for Kyle based on his pro-remain, anti-Corbyn stance and hope that he's there to help the PLP clear up the mess when Corbyn's Labour are all but wiped out or to go with a wasted vote for the Lib Dems in the hope that a large popular vote for them in the election across the country will take the edges off a hard Brexit.

But either way - given the Lib Dems aren't going to take power - I will be staying up late on election night hoping for a victory by a party I cannot stand led by a woman I find hideous because the alternative, to me, is unthinkable.

Surely, your worries about Corbyn would only be relevant if a) Hove was Tory seat and your vote would help him to power and b) if Labour had any chance of winning the election. If Labour was riding high in the polls, I could appreciate your dilemma, but that's clearly not the case.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Surely, your worries about Corbyn would only be relevant if a) Hove was Tory seat and your vote would help him to power and b) if Labour had any chance of winning the election. If Labour was riding high in the polls, I could appreciate your dilemma, but that's clearly not the case.

For me it's a matter of perception. I know that if I walk in to that ballot box and vote for Peter Kyle that I have voted for him, but if Corbyn does even fractionally better than expected then Momentum will claim every Labour vote was a vote for him and their policies.

At this precise moment I am prepared to take a Tory landslide this time in the hope that it finally gets us an opposition worthy of the name, and perhaps a social-democrat dynasty from 2022 when May screws up Brexit.

Last edited:

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
C-WgdUgW0AA0U6y.jpg

May's soundbites are some of the most excruciating, it's like she is inflicting some kind of Chinese torture on the general populace, she has no shame.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Voting in Hove is going to be difficult ( especially for a Brexiter like me ). Re your statement about the Greens - I'm afraid we've been lumbered with one of those mad frogs - Phélim Mac Cafferty. A completely disagreeable individual.

Can't wait for the knock on the door, to see if he can depend on my vote.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

Is he the one who made some unsavoury comments about the armed forces?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Anyway, getting back on track, and something I've been meaning to post for a few days...

Am I the only one right of centre (but I wouldn't say absolutely right) that is somewhat surprised by the lead that the Tories and May, in particular, seem to have. I can find very little to endear me to Theresa May whatsoever. She just seems thoroughly unlikeable with no warmth of any note.

No. You are not alone. We both know I'm right of centre too yet I find nothing in what May has done or promises to do in any way appealing and I stated earlier on here that no way should they be in the high 40s in the opinion polls. They should be around 30% with Labour around 35%. Like Guinness Boy, I'm hoping and expecting a Tory win but with little enthusiasm in the victory.

Thankfully, I'm in Brighton Pavilion so I can vote for Lucas as she's an absolutely brilliant local MP.

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
No. You are not alone. We both know I'm right of centre too yet I find nothing in what May has done or promises to do in any way appealing and I stated earlier on here that no way should they be in the high 40s in the opinion polls. They should be around 30% with Labour around 35%. Like Guinness Boy, I'm hoping and expecting a Tory win but with little enthusiasm in the victory.

Thankfully, I'm in Brighton Pavilion so I can vote for Lucas as she's an absolutely brilliant local MP.

This is exactly where I'm at too.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Desperate isn't a word I'd use. Do I want the Tories to fail? Difficult question as a lot of harm will be done. Do I trust them to make the right decisions on the economy? No, eye watering levels of national debt never ever seen before, tax revenues down, the plunging value of the pound and slowing economic growth suggest they're not a party to be trusted with the economy. Surely someone can do better than this piss poor performance?

Blaming the Tories for the lower value in the £? That was caused by the majority of the electorate, including many millions of Labour voters, voting for Brexit. Democracy.

Bemoaning the natural devaluation of a currency is old school economics and makes good headlines with Remoaner supporting media outlets.

Exporters and the U.K. based tourism industry embrace it. Two sides to every story,

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
He's also the guy who got to ask a question at PQT and asked the pm whether they could do anything about improving the conditions of a tiger in IOW Zoo.

To be fair, I've no problem with that. I've huge problems with his views on homosexuality though and anyone who believes, like he does, that it's dangerous to society is too stupid, too bigoted to hold public office.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Is he the one who made some unsavoury comments about the armed forces?

Indeed he is. Also he did a Palace coach driver act in a microwave at a council office .... allegedly.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Anyway, getting back on track, and something I've been meaning to post for a few days...

Am I the only one right of centre (but I wouldn't say absolutely right) that is somewhat surprised by the lead that the Tories and May, in particular, seem to have. I can find very little to endear me to Theresa May whatsoever. She just seems thoroughly unlikeable with no warmth of any note.

As another centre right peep I think she has done rather well. I suppose it depends if you believe likeability and warmth are substantive/major factors in deciding which individual would be the best person to become PM. Considering the state of the opposition .. far left loons (Labour), undemocratic loons (Lib Dems), nationalist loons (SNP), infighting loons (UKIP) the Tories lead is predictable.

Have to say it was amusing to see [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] suggesting a test before voting would be sensible considering his ongoing economic illiteracy, blind loyalty to the EU/Fatherland, support and voting for Corbyn plus his legendary predictive powers ..:facepalm:

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I am sure that if the Tories win with 37% of the vote they will do the honorable thing and will decline taking office as they don't have a majority of the vote.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
As another centre right peep I think she has done rather well. I suppose it depends if you believe likeability and warmth are substantive/major factors in deciding which individual would be the best person to become PM. Considering the state of the opposition .. far left loons (Labour), undemocratic loons (Lib Dems), nationalist loons (SNP), infighting loons (UKIP) the Tories lead is predictable.

Have to say it was amusing to see [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] suggesting a test before voting would be sensible considering his ongoing economic illiteracy, blind loyalty to the EU/Fatherland, support and voting for Corbyn plus his legendary predictive powers ..:facepalm:

Sorry, I enjoyed that so much I had to bounce it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here