Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Well, given that Prof Minford is a prominent Leave-advocating economist, I suppose he could well be ga-ga. For the same reason you will presumably regard him as a genius and regard his views as prescient. Near-death of British manufacturing it is then.

I don't regard him as anything.He's an economist.The crap they predicted before,and after,the referendum,showed most of them up as an absolute waste of space.I'm just intrigued that your side can quote him both for and against your argument.:laugh:

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
The hard facts are the UK is now the slowest growing economy in the EU and the G7. Though its good to see you are admitting to the slowing construction sector, who can you blame, foreigners?

The Germans will do.They're paying more.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Doesn't appear to be anyone in the nuclear science industry who thinks so. Even Dominic Cummings, head of Vote Leave, tweeted this about it:

[tweet]884354037956718593[/tweet]

The Commons science and technology committee said after the Brexit vote that The Department for Existing The EU should take on a chief scientific adviser. They didn't. Never mind. As David Davis would say, it'll probably all be okay.

Going it alone has almost no advantages. Euratom includes the funding for Culham, lab, importation of radioactive medical sources which the UK does not produce, joint research projects with European partners on all kinds of nuclear matters. Pure self harm for the UK

According to Mr Davis we are looking at an 'association agreement' that would continue cooperation, minimise disruption but would fall outside ECJ jurisdiction. The UK Atomic Energy Authority supports this route. I'm finding this newfound interest in Mr Cummings views rather amusing though.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I don't regard him as anything.He's an economist.The crap they predicted before,and after,the referendum,showed most of them up as an absolute waste of space.I'm just intrigued that your side can quote him both for and against your argument.:laugh:
The fact is that he was one of the leading lights among Brexiteer economists, arguing passionately in favour of Brexit. I assume you agree with the general drift of his arguments, which included the suggestion - which I have heard elsewhere, from remainers too - that the policy suggested would decimate UK manfacturing (his actual words were 'virtually eliminate'). I do recall a remainer on here calling him a Thatcherite nutter - it's possible, of course, that you would regard this as no criticism at all

And writing off most economists as a waste of space seems rather child-like.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
The fact is that he was one of the leading lights among Brexiteer economists, arguing passionately in favour of Brexit. I assume you agree with the general drift of his arguments, which included the suggestion - which I have heard elsewhere, from remainers too - that the policy suggested would decimate UK manfacturing (his actual words were 'virtually eliminate'). I do recall a remainer on here calling him a Thatcherite nutter - it's possible, of course, that you would regard this as no criticism at all

And writing off most economists as a waste of space seems rather child-like.

Wonder why so many of them work in Costa,or ask 'do you want fries with that'?Perhaps you could point out some of their recent successful predictions,as I can't find any.They seem to have been selling the world a load of bullcrap for years about how clever they are,and child-like or not,I just can't see it.If they are as clever as you seem to think,how come they're not all sunning themselves in Bermuda?

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Newsnight! Dear oh dear. The BBC affording a man guilty of sedition, some would say treason, far too much airtime.

EDIT: Shame they didn't give the opposing view as much say.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I see we're now caving in on the exit bill, too. Just a few days ago Boris told the EU to "go whistle" (nice one Boris!), but yesterday the Govt officially admitted it will have to meet its liabilities both before and after we leave.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
I see we're now caving in on the exit bill, too. Just a few days ago Boris told the EU to "go whistle" (nice one Boris!), but yesterday the Govt officially admitted it will have to meet its liabilities both before and after we leave.

Quelle surprise.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Of course we are going to pay it. It's a ready made excuse for the government as to where the £350m a week went and why the "money we save" by leaving the EU is not being used to cover the shortfall of retracted EU funding in some of our poorest regions. Tory scum.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
According to Mr Davis we are looking at an 'association agreement' that would continue cooperation, minimise disruption but would fall outside ECJ jurisdiction. The UK Atomic Energy Authority supports this route. I'm finding this newfound interest in Mr Cummings views rather amusing though.

Cobbled together in haste on the back of a fag packet before lunch when they realised; oh ****, we forgot all about that one. Quick phonecall to Laura K. Get her to tweet a few ideas (sic) to see how the land lies. Jobs a good'un.

Another day in the continuing saga of the brexitshambles.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR

Johnson looking an even bigger idiot (if that were possible) after his pathetic chest thumping a few days ago. A national embarrassment.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
The dream is to leave The EU. We are leaving. I know it, you recognise it.
So what dreams are starting to fall apart?

A successful and non long term catastrophic Brexit that will affect the countries young citizens for decades ahead.
That one.
Many remainers, like myself, considered other people, and not our own individual circumstances, and notions that a grand past can be replicated in a country that now has no industry to speak of, with 80% of our trade being 'services'

Last edited:

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
We have to pay to leave? That's not what the Leave campaign promised! Were they talking out of their arse? Well I never.
One day we'll find out a reason to leave, maybe.

Good work everyone.

Mass Immigration is shit
ECJ and loss of sovereign law making powers to Brussels is shit also
Millions of £ a day we could be spending at home instead.

Thats three good reasons already

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
A successful and non long term catastrophic Brexit that will affect the countries young citizens for decades ahead.
That one.
Many remainers, like myself, considered other people, and not our own individual circumstances, and notions that a grand past can be replicated in a country that now has no industry to speak of, with 80% of our trade being 'services'

so our dreams of leaving the EU are not falling apart at all

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here