Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Railway Bell

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
The Caxton Arms is my pick.

They try really hard to make it a popular spot for home fans, but its location scuppers any chance of that really happening. They've now got a sports bar downstairs where they show the football on a big screen, they do pretty good Thai food and their lager selection is decent (Sammy Adams, Oranjeboom, Asahi). A few years ago they were throwing a free BBQ for STH before every game but it wasn't bringing people in so they stopped it, not sure if they'll have any deals on this season.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Love the Bell. Shithole. Rough. Questionable clientele. Exactly as a station pub should be. Not the sort of place I'd want to stay all day, but always worth a pint on a match day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

They try really hard to make it a popular spot for home fans, but its location scuppers any chance of that really happening. They've now got a sports bar downstairs where they show the football on a big screen, they do pretty good Thai food and their lager selection is decent (Sammy Adams, Oranjeboom, Asahi). A few years ago they were throwing a free BBQ for STH before every game but it wasn't bringing people in so they stopped it, not sure if they'll have any deals on this season.

I don't think it's a football pub anymore.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Love the Bell. Shithole. Rough. Questionable clientele. Exactly as a station pub should be. Not the sort of place I'd want to stay all day, but always worth a pint on a match day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe I should give it a go. What craft options do they have?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003

They closed early after the Wigan game because it was getting too lively..... pretty much the happiest, well natured, joyous atmosphere I've experienced in a pub in many a year.
Fortunately our early ejection meant that I caught the magnificent scenes in town.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I can't see the new(ish) owners of the Caxton being too football friendly tbh.

I'm friends with them and no, not big footy fans. Tattoos and good beers are more the order of the day!

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
They closed early after the Wigan game because it was getting too lively..... pretty much the happiest, well natured, joyous atmosphere I've experienced in a pub in many a year.
Fortunately our early ejection meant that I caught the magnificent scenes in town.

Didn't realise they had changed owners, I hadn't been there for a while, that's a shame tbh.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England

Sssshhhhhhhhhh

Ah, just seen the posts about it not being a footy pub anymore.

Shame.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Sssshhhhhhhhhh

Ah, just seen the posts about it not being a footy pub anymore.

Shame.

The sports bar place dpwnstairs was a little gem but the owners were running th eplace into the ground. I'm biased but the new lot do run a good pub and if you like beer and good food it's a choice. [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] , It's the bunch that used to manage Craft beer on upper north st so they know what they are doing, you'd like it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The sports bar place dpwnstairs was a little gem but the owners were running th eplace into the ground. I'm biased but the new lot do run a good pub and if you like beer and good food it's a choice. [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] , It's the bunch that used to manage Craft beer on upper north st so they know what they are doing, you'd like it.

Noted. I'll take a look. Is it's the bunch who managed Craft Beer Co about 3/4 years back? Ie the Brighton lot as opposed to the London lot who took over post refurb? Just trying to figure out who it is.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Noted. I'll take a look. Is it's the bunch who managed Craft Beer Co about 3/4 years back? Ie the Brighton lot as opposed to the London lot who took over post refurb? Just trying to figure out who it is.

Brighton lot who were managing Craft day to day but believe It was run from London.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Great summary.

It can be cracking fun in the Bell, particularly when Albion good times are happening.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If they like good beer, why do they run a Shepherd Neame pub...?

If memory serves me correctly Shepherd and Neame often lease-off lesser profit making premises to other pub businesses/brands. This is how Craft Beer Co got started in Pimlico; I think it was SnN. Whatever brewery it is I think they still own a number of their pub buildings. Given the contacts maybe this is why? Just a guess though. Prof of the pudding etc....I'll investigate this weekend.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom

I don't mind if it's not football-friendly, just as not as it's not football-unfriendly, if you get me. Is it still Shepherd Neame then? If it is then I can see them getting frustrated if they love good beer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here