Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Surely Hemed has to start v Rotherham?

theboybilly

Apart from their chances right at the end of the first half, Newcastle caused next to no problems in the first 45 minutes for all that they looked threatening (because we had a rookie left back and knew about their quality).

We almost went 2-0 up straight away in the 2nd half.

Doesn't it seem even slightly plausible that Newcastle 'ran the game' in the second half, because they were allowed to by a side that was leading and cautious not to throw away what it had? Costly ultimately but very natural. It was never likely that we would steamroller Newcastle, even if we did beat them. It was a fluke equaliser that changed the game.

I keep reading that we have no confidence. But we looked pretty confident in a great performance at Barnsley. And in a comprehensive defeat of the team 4th in the league. And in the Newcastle game when we could have gone 2 or 3 ahead but for Darlow's saves.

Didn't sound like we were at our best today - but not dreadful either until Assombalonga hared off celebrating a goal Forest then pretended he hadn't scored.

Just one of those days. We'll get the rub of the green in the run-in and the players - who've so rarely let us down for 2 whole seasons - will prove the doubters wrong yet again.

Can't argue with any of that, and thank you for lifting my spirits after a long old day yesterday :albion2:

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Very much this. I looked up at the clock on Tuesday night and it had gone past 75 minutes and thought "Bloody hell - we're going to do this." Although Newcastle were having the bulk of the possession they weren't really troubling us at all, and we looked pretty comfortable.

On the subject of Murray/Hemed though, I mentioned this to [MENTION=236]Papa Lazarou[/MENTION] yesterday: just how many chances has he had recently? It feels like his service has really dried up. I'm not sure why that would be, as Sam Baldock seems to be getting chances still.

I'd go with Hemed on Tuesday regardless. Give the big man a rest and let Hemed, who must be chomping at the bit, a chance to show what he can do again.

Agreed. We probably need freshening up and Hemed for Murray would be an obvious change on that score. I still wonder whether we'll end up playing some away games with a 3 man central midfield to utilise Norwood's passing but Hughton may well hold his nerve on that score.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Agreed. We probably need freshening up and Hemed for Murray would be an obvious change on that score. I still wonder whether we'll end up playing some away games with a 3 man central midfield to utilise Norwood's passing but Hughton may well hold his nerve on that score.
With the injury list growing we may need to tighten things up a tab and a 3 man midfield away from home sounds sensible.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
With the injury list growing we may need to tighten things up a tab and a 3 man midfield away from home sounds sensible.

Still think there'd be goals in the team with Knocky, Murphy/March, Murray/Hemed in that formation.

And I don't think many teams would fancy coming up against a central 3 of Stephens alongside Sidwell & Kayal or Norwood. Feels like we might be able to boss games a bit better. But then the 4-4-2 has served us well, and we're not in the market for draws this season so it's a tough call.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Please no... Kayal is quality but not match fit and in a 442 with Norwood?! I know Rotherham are no Huddersfield but still, I can assure you that barring injury or a switch to 433, only one CM will change from Saturday

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

After Saturday it's time to mix things up a bit. That means more than 1 change. Stephens and Sidwell both look jaded and need resting. Norwood played well on Saturday when he came on. We need kayal back asap to his best. This is the time to give him 90 mins to try and get him up to speed. Murray is out of form and could do with a breather before Friday. It will, no doubt, be a tough game but it's Rotherham - easily the worst team in the division.

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
After Saturday it's time to mix things up a bit. That means more than 1 change. Stephens and Sidwell both look jaded and need resting. Norwood played well on Saturday when he came on. We need kayal back asap to his best. This is the time to give him 90 mins to try and get him up to speed. Murray is out of form and could do with a breather before Friday. It will, no doubt, be a tough game but it's Rotherham - easily the worst team in the division.

I accept more than one change overall, I am sure Hemed and Solly will both start, but he would be nuts to rest both CMs (who recently started in 2 of our biggest games of the season) at the same time, even against Rotherham

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I would certainly give Knocky a break, a chance to recover his touch. Hemed yes, Murray looked rather jaded also. Maybe Skalak's break will have reignited his spark.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Not trying to make Glenda a scapegoat or anything of the sort, but his form of late has been poor and he looks totally knackered. Surprised he started today let alone played a full 90 again.. surely it's time to give Tomer a start on Tuesday?

Staying on the striker front, the Akpom situation is a bit of an odd one.. really thought he would've featured more regularly and it seems bizarre that he wasn't in the squad today considering Baldock has had injury problems recently and the Hemed/Murray partnership doesn't really work.

Akpom is injured.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Murray played and failed against Lincoln - has he scored since in open play?
CH continues to keep faith with him ,,,,

We need goals on Tuesday - and I don't see much form on Murray to deliver just now - he will come good, but how long can we afford to wait?.

March looked ready for a full return as long ago as Brum - why has he gone off the boil?

I think Kayal should play a part, but maybe not start - if we're 3 up at h/t swap him for Stevens.

Just waiting for Rotherham to be called the old "must win game" .....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here