Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Positives of Hove Park today were thrashing [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] and getting 70.33% AG on a full out slowish effort of 22:25.

Negative was a tactical finish that I lost and [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] won. Sneaked up on run in, sat behind, went to rush by with 50m left and he upped his pace........

'Bout time someone put [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] back in his box! :wink:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
According to Strava, I ran it in 20:33 so it's a damned shame I showed up when the back markers had already reached the bike hire point! :facepalm:

In the end, I'm happy to have recorded a time sub-24, that was my target given the start time. I see [MENTION=4417]The Complete Badger[/MENTION] competed and found a 20:44 for a Hove Park PB - sub 20 is absolutely on the cards there, I see many similarities with my running journey. No sign of [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] dusting off his vest and getting back on the 5k distance!

In other news, Preston Park 582-485 Hove Park, Hove Prom 274 and Bevendean 32 - 1,373 runners in Brighton and Hove today for the parkrun, incredible numbers.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Positives of Hove Park today were thrashing [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] and getting 70.33% AG on a full out slowish effort of 22:25.

Negative was a tactical finish that I lost and [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] won. Sneaked up on run in, sat behind, went to rush by with 50m left and he upped his pace........

Deeply satisfying to see off the inevitable [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] late run!!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I can’t believe four people I know from this thread ran at Hove Park this morning and I didn’t see any of you. I did rush away very quickly at the end to get to West Brom though.

I ran it in 20:44 which is a Hove Park PB (and a SB for the table) and better than I was expecting. I’ve been holding back recently to focus on longer runs and I’ve done a few Parkruns in the 21s as a result, so it was good to get back to 95% effort and pick up a sub-21 on a course I don’t tend to do very well on. I’m going to throw the kitchen sink at a sub-20 attempt at Worthing in the next few weeks as I’d love to get that under my belt before all attention turns to the marathon.
Well I was WAY behind you, pacing 24 minutes (actually crossing the line at 23.56). I've half an eye on trying to beat my 20.54 PB, but I'm not sure I'll get there. My training is all over the shop with trail and a potential sub-4 road marathon in the coming months and then ironman in September. I'm not sure where a pacey 5km fits into the training plan [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I can’t believe four people I know from this thread ran at Hove Park this morning and I didn’t see any of you. I did rush away very quickly at the end to get to West Brom though.

I ran it in 20:44 which is a Hove Park PB (and a SB for the table) and better than I was expecting. I’ve been holding back recently to focus on longer runs and I’ve done a few Parkruns in the 21s as a result, so it was good to get back to 95% effort and pick up a sub-21 on a course I don’t tend to do very well on. I’m going to throw the kitchen sink at a sub-20 attempt at Worthing in the next few weeks as I’d love to get that under my belt before all attention turns to the marathon.

To be fair, I showed up when even the back markers found themselves half a kilometer around! We'd have had a good race today, given the extra motivation you'd have found some more I'm sure, I was planning on emptying the tank as much as possible before a tempo run tomorrow.

You won't need to throw anything at the sub 20, it'll just happen and feel oddly natural. It's just around the corner, don't be in a rush to meet it. :thumbsup:

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I know what you mean, this is my problem at the moment too. It’s so hard to train for different distances at the same time. My other concern is that focusing on one thing (ie a marathon) will get boring as I won’t be in good shape for 5k so my overall motivation will fall with fewer targets to aim for.

You’ve got more confidence in me than anyone! I’m not sure it’s going to be easy but whenever I have stayed away from Worthing before I have always taken a chunk of time off my PB the next time I’ve gone there. I just need to find nine seconds next time...

Not sure I agree. Even when in full 100 mile training mode my plan has at least one ‘productive’ speed/interval session in it, if not more, and the added endurance training means quicker short-race times due to improved aerobic endurance (“meaning you can hang on for longer” in the words of my coach). Don’t neglect speed sessions when training for marathons?

An eyeballs-out parkrun once or twice a month won’t impact any marathon training. Recovery time is really less than 24 hours.......and even if you do feel it a but the following day in your long run, that’s to the benefit of your endurance training.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I know what you mean, this is my problem at the moment too. It’s so hard to train for different distances at the same time. My other concern is that focusing on one thing (ie a marathon) will get boring as I won’t be in good shape for 5k so my overall motivation will fall with fewer targets to aim for.

You’ve got more confidence in me than anyone! I’m not sure it’s going to be easy but whenever I have stayed away from Worthing before I have always taken a chunk of time off my PB the next time I’ve gone there. I just need to find nine seconds next time...
You'll be surprised, I was this time last year. January 2017 I just wanted a sub 20 parkrun again having not run one in 2016. Then marathon training made short distances feel easy and the speed increased without thinking about it. I didn't have my watch and ran a 19:36 out of nowhere to shatter my overall PB by 6 seconds without ever planning to. Then 19:15 and 19:01 happened without training for 5k, just doing my mileage and racing the odd parkrun.
Out of interest what is it like starting from the back? I’m quite tempted to do it sometime for a different challenge. Do the back markers get in the way? I assume so as they wouldn’t be aware of a fast runner being there at that time?
I quite like it, I was far enough late today that they assumed I was the leader! Which is a bad sign! The track is wide enough to get through but it's really congested and I had to change pace a few times when merging through. I was 123rd out of nearly 500 so I passed 350+ people which makes you feel like a prince! Nobody ever came past me.
Not sure I agree. Even when in full 100 mile training mode my plan has at least one ‘productive’ speed/interval session in it, if not more, and the added endurance training means quicker short-race times due to improved aerobic endurance (“meaning you can hang on for longer” in the words of my coach). Don’t neglect speed sessions when training for marathons?

An eyeballs-out parkrun once or twice a month won’t impact any marathon training. Recovery time is really less than 24 hours.......and even if you do feel it a but the following day in your long run, that’s to the benefit of your endurance training.
That was my experience too, I natrually felt I could hang on at speed for much longer. I'm going to be ratcheting up the distance and the pace for longer distances too.

My 11 miler tomorrow will be at as close to 8 minute miles as possible, consistently.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I think the difference is that you are incredibly experienced at extremely long distances, whereas I’ve been hitting 30km for the first few times in the last three weeks and it’s hit my body a bit. For the first time I am urgently needing rest days and I simply haven’t been able to throw everything at Parkrun in the last few weeks as I’ve still been recovering. So I think what you say is true for you and I think it will be true for me soon, but only when I’m more comfortable at 30k+ so that it isn’t hurting my body and I can enjoy the benefits of it over 5k.

Maybe a more accurate thing for me to have said would be that it is hard to train for a fast 5k while increasing your long runs, rather than simply doing long runs.

Yeah good points....and don’t neglect the rest days, they are critical.

I bet your 5k time improves as you get into the longer distance programme.

Oh, and you’d still easily beat me over most distances [emoji23][emoji23]

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I get what you're all saying about a speed session in my training - and I'll do my best - but it's the time I (don't) have to dedicate to it. The swimming and cycling should help a bit in terms of strength to push on a bit though.

Talking of pushing on, I didn't in any way, shape or form this morning. Chatting with [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION], @Ninga Elephant and [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] sowed the seed of some hills so I did the Snakey-Woodlands (both bits) double. I still 'ran' up all the hills, but averaged over 10/min miles over half marathon distance...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I'll join the [MENTION=4417]The Complete Badger[/MENTION] 5k potential sweepstake.
He's improved at a faster rate than Ninja last year. He's racking up the miles like Dazzer. He's feeling it at the moment as it's new to the body, so needs more recovery.

I find I can get to 5-10% of potential for a 5k during marathon training. So for the C badger sub 20 In the next few months and sub19 by the end of the year.

Just listen to your body, as you are, or your progress chart could end up looking like the Bitcoin graph. Steady stepped improvement is the aim.

I wish my legs were like an uncontrollable Ferrari.......:lolol:

Left Back

Jan 22, 2011
Whilst the impromptu NSC party was going on at hove, I was freezing my bejangles off at Worthing. I was shivering so much in the icy wind before the start I even thought about going straight back to the car.
Was quite a big turn out at Worthing, 397, with a bunch of new (years Resolution?) Starters.
Started slow not wanting to pull anything and warmed up quickly once I got going. Really pushed myself in the last 1km managed 23.05.
Then continued with a steady run on to lancing green and back and extended my run to 10k.

Even beat the traffic warden who was sniffing around my car with 5 minutes to go .... So all in all not a bad morning in the end.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I went out for an 11 miler today to get me to 40 miles for the week. My target was 8 minutes per mile and came in bang on the money, there were a few miles which were off (Manor Hill was always going to be a struggle!) but generally I was pretty close and felt strong throughout. I'm feeling on course to take on [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] over the Half at Worthing, and that's all that really matters to me right now. :thumbsup:

This time next year, [MENTION=4417]The Complete Badger[/MENTION] will be targeting ruining us both!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I went out for an 11 miler today to get me to 40 miles for the week. My target was 8 minutes per mile and came in bang on the money, there were a few miles which were off (Manor Hill was always going to be a struggle!) but generally I was pretty close and felt strong throughout. I'm feeling on course to take on [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] over the Half at Worthing, and that's all that really matters to me right now. :thumbsup:

This time next year, [MENTION=4417]The Complete Badger[/MENTION] will be targeting ruining us both!

I was a mile behind you today. Had a good run out in perfect conditions from Patcham along to the Sealife centre then up and over Grand Ave before returning home.

Was able to run a couple of consecutive sub 7 minute miles along the front without it feeling to punishing, so I’m in decent enough condition to give Ninja a run for his money. Average pace 7:08 across the ten miles.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2434366374

Seaford by the sea

Sep 29, 2008
seaford
Ran the 4th leg of the East Sussex cross country league at black cap lewes yesterday, 5.4 miles of pure racing for the club. Beautiful morning and great camaraderie. Decent performance and knee brace working well, (7:42 min mile ave). Now to start on longer runs for first half marathon.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
I did 15 miles on Sunday, time was not important was out to enjoy and keep the mileage up. Did the first 6 miles with some fellow West Hoathly runners, when they turned for home, I went the opposite way. Was please to increase the speed from miles 6-11 and then happy with the final few miles which are pretty much all up hill. I have a weekly target of 22 miles so ticked that off, have a few to make up from early January as was feeling rather poop!

https://www.strava.com/activities/1356499101

Still planning to try and get some decent park runs in this year, will possibly look to do Preston Park this Saturday before Chelsea but not definite yet. My main goal at the moment is to prepare for the Brighton Marathon and my initial target of sub 4.20 (need to find 8 minutes). Also linking this in to my other big goal of lose one stone in 2018!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here