Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

And the next England manager is?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
My problem with Big Sam are his possession stats - typically his sides have 40%-45% and if you give decent international sides 55-60% possession you will win nothing, particularly with our defence.

It worries me that he's won nothing and it worries me the FA have always rejected him when his stock was higher than it is now. He lost out on interview to McLaren FFS!

Chris Hughton lost out on an interview to Hyypia.

I don't know about Allardyce, at all. I think we can do better, but don't know who.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The FA shortlist appears to be Allardyce, Bruce and Klinsmann but after reading what the Daily Mail are reporting the German is looking less likely - "combative nature" - God forbid!:

But, during their two-week consultation process, FA chiefs were warned about potential difficulties they could face should they appoint Klinsmann.

Sportsmail understands Wembley supremos have received concerning reports that the German can be difficult to deal with and shows little appetite for compromise.

Indeed, there have been widespread reports in America, where Klinsmann is in charge of their national team, of a rift between the former Tottenham striker and the US Soccer chiefs in recent months.

And the FA are aware that Klinsmann’s seemingly combative nature could lead to potential conflict and may not be suited to the holistic approach they have adopted.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The FA shortlist appears to be Allardyce, Bruce and Klinsmann but after reading what the Daily Mail are reporting the German is looking less likely - "combative nature" - God forbid!:

But, during their two-week consultation process, FA chiefs were warned about potential difficulties they could face should they appoint Klinsmann.

Sportsmail understands Wembley supremos have received concerning reports that the German can be difficult to deal with and shows little appetite for compromise.

Indeed, there have been widespread reports in America, where Klinsmann is in charge of their national team, of a rift between the former Tottenham striker and the US Soccer chiefs in recent months.

And the FA are aware that Klinsmann’s seemingly combative nature could lead to potential conflict and may not be suited to the holistic approach they have adopted.

"Sportsmail understands"....

In other words, the rest of the article is complete and utter bobbins, a work of fiction with not a single attributable quote or source.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
"Sportsmail understands"....

In other words, the rest of the article is complete and utter bobbins, a work of fiction with not a single attributable quote or source.

You don't often get that much direct quoting whilst the recruitment process is underway and all of the media are hypothesising, but reading between the lines it won't be Klinsmann. The Metro has reported: "It’s fair to say there has been a mixed response from fans and pundits like over England approaching Allardyce, but it may be his openness to nurturing a long-term successor that swings things in his favour.

While the Sunderland boss would be ready to work with the likes of Gareth Southgate and Gary Neville, it seems likely that Klinsmann would demand more of an overhaul in the Three Lions’ setup, bringing in many of his own staff."

I don't think the FA have got the stomach for a radical overhaul.

It's a bit ironic that Klinsmann is likely to be rejected in favour of a manager who will retain Southgate and Neville in the coaching set-up given that it is almost 20 years to the day that a Germany side captained by Klinsmann knocked out hosts England in Euro 96, a side containing Southgate and Neville where it was the hapless Southgate that missed the penalty in the shoot-out.

The more things change the more they stay the same...

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008

It doesn't appear that the US Soccer Federation were too worried about Klinsmann having a 'combative nature'. Presumably they wanted a manager who got results - which he did when he got the US national side through to the semi finals in the Copa America. This is probably the same reason that Brian Clough was never appointed - after all you can't have some oik upsetting the men in blazers

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Foreigners do best e.g. Sven and Capello.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I am not a fan of Allardyce, but given the choice of English Managers its going to be him.

Lets hope he can get something going.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
I'm reading Henry Winter's magnificent book '50 Years of Hurt' at the moment. It's a depressing tale of missed opportunities and bungling by the FA, in their search for a major tournament victory.

One thing that did hit home, was the notion that the appointment of a non-English National Team manager would be a kick in the teeth for the Elite set-up at St George's Park.

The FA are pretty short of credibility but they surely HAVE to appoint an Englishman this time.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
I'm reading Henry Winter's magnificent book '50 Years of Hurt' at the moment. It's a depressing tale of missed opportunities and bungling by the FA, in their search for a major tournament victory.

One thing that did hit home, was the notion that the appointment of a non-English National Team manager would be a kick in the teeth for the Elite set-up at St George's Park.

The FA are pretty short of credibility but they surely HAVE to appoint an Englishman this time.

Like last time? didn't work out too well

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here