Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ben Stokes charged with affray

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Just hopeful that it is a cricket loving judge hearing the case.

I hope it isn't and if it is, then he follows the letter of the law, rather than base his sentencing (if he is found guilty) on sentencing guidelines, not whether England or Durham need him.
It's very possible, if he's found guilty, he won't be selected again.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Dare say I'm missing something, but is there actually much point in denying a charge of affray when you're caught on cctv knocking two blokes unconscious in the street.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Dare say I'm missing something, but is there actually much point in denying a charge of affray when you're caught on cctv knocking two blokes unconscious in the street.

I may be wrong and stand to be corrected but is the charge not CAUSING an Affray not taking part in one. The is some difference and possibly the reason for a Not Guilty plea.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I hope it isn't and if it is, then he follows the letter of the law, rather than base his sentencing (if he is found guilty) on sentencing guidelines, not whether England or Durham need him.
It's very possible, if he's found guilty, he won't be selected again.

I never understand why that should be as the offense that he committed and nothing whatsoever to do with cricket other than he was celebrating and is a well known cricketer. Would you say the same if was 2 Brighton players eg Dunk and Gross involved in a fight after a game and they stayed on in Newcastle.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

Yes.

One punch can kill. Someone takes a swing at you, and you punch them in self defence. They fall back on the pavement, hit their head and die.
You are charged with manslaughter. Do you plead guilty, or is it a horrible accident?
The cctv shows the actions but not the motives.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Yes.

One punch can kill. Someone takes a swing at you, and you punch them in self defence. They fall back on the pavement, hit their head and die.
You are charged with manslaughter. Do you plead guilty, or is it a horrible accident?
The cctv shows the actions but not the motives.

I knew a chap that happened to and he was charged and jailed for unlawful killing.neither murder nor manslaughter.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
I never understand why that should be as the offense that he committed and nothing whatsoever to do with cricket other than he was celebrating and is a well known cricketer. Would you say the same if was 2 Brighton players eg Dunk and Gross involved in a fight after a game and they stayed on in Newcastle.

What?
So rape is okay? Has nothing to do with cricket. Kiddy fiddling? Blowing up a mosque?

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I knew a chap that happened to and he was charged and jailed for unlawful killing.neither murder nor manslaughter.

No such offence. At least not since the 1861 Offences Against the Person Act.

Just hopeful that it is a cricket loving judge hearing the case.

All justices swear an oath that contains "I will do right to all manner of people after the laws and usages of this realm, without fear or favour, affection or ill will." So HH's fondness, or otherwise, for cricket will have no bearing.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
No such offence. At least not since the 1861 Offences Against the Person Act.

All justices swear an oath that contains "I will do right to all manner of people after the laws and usages of this realm, without fear or favour, affection or ill will." So HH's fondness, or otherwise, for cricket will have no bearing.
Well that oath is f*cking laughable considering the way some of the left wing c*nts have interpreted the human rights act.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here