Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'Obscure" US TV choices - recommendations please

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Snowfall season 2 from FX is now running here. :thumbsup:
Oh good, I really liked the first season.

I've just started Succession and after a few Best Thing I've Seen This Year posts, this is the latest. Written by Jesse Armstrong (The Thick of It), Brian Cox is the aging scion of an American media empire, and as the title suggests, there are manoeuverings from the family about who should eventually take over. The writing is effing brilliant, it has TToI's backstabbing, public/private conversations, shenanighans, laugh out loud moments, but is 99% less obvious satire. Proper proper good.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-...t-dissection-mega-rich-family-jesse-armstrong

jeremyfisher

Dec 8, 2013
Into season 3 and it keeps getting better, I haven't warmed to any of the cast though for some reason.

Watched 2 good sci-fi series, Extinct and Altered Carbon, both worth watching.

On the downside Dark Matter has been cancelled by scyfy and The 100 turned to crap in season 3 imo.

Fear the walking dead keeps improving and TWD is effing boring.

Oh No! Really liked Dark Matter. Quite simple standard sci-fi - but a really easy and fun watch.

Still keeping going with TWD, but it gets worse every season. Saw the first season of FTWD and never got beyond. Perhaps it's time to go back.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm trying out HBO's Sharp Objects.

I'm not convinced, at the moment, TBH if it weren't for Amy Adams I'd have given up completely.
As it it's hanging by a thread.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Anyone with a taste for Scandi thrillers, Deadwind (Karppi) is a super new one from Finland.

Very nice.

cUKqWS2v7D6DVKQze2Iz2netwRH.jpg

Marxo

Aug 7, 2011
Ghent, Belgium
Oh No! Really liked Dark Matter. Quite simple standard sci-fi - but a really easy and fun watch.

A pity about Dark Matter, I liked it too. If you haven't caught it yet Killjoys is a similar standard and also good fun.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Having not long realised that we actually had Amazon TV and flicking through for a box set to try out, we happened upon - Preacher - anyone else seen this?

Really into it now after a slow start and wasn’t convinced that it was for me but thoroughly enjoying it and well into season two currently....

“A possessed minister teams up with his ex an a hard drinking Irish Vampire in search of answers”

If I’d read that before hand then I’d never of started watching the thing and So i’m very pleased that I didn’t (read it).
I read the graphic novels that it's based on a few years ago and when I saw that they were mashing a TV series of it I thought it would be impossible to transfer well to the screen. It's one of the most entertaining things I've ever read.

However, like you, when I got Amazon Prime I gave it a go and it's actually very good. Just starting series 3 and am really enjoying it.

I'd recommend reading the GN though. More shocking, more grim, more funny, more everything. Plus the back stories of the characters are delved into more.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm trying out HBO's Sharp Objects.

I'm not convinced, at the moment, TBH if it weren't for Amy Adams I'd have given up completely.
As it it's hanging by a thread.

Well I finished it last night, after watching I did some homework, fearful of spoilers before then.

Sharp Objects was the first book written by the author of Gone Girl, she along with Adams developed it for TV.

I'm not going to give it massive endorsement as I found the flashbacks too intrusive, but it was certainly good enough to give it a try.

Top tip - A la Marvel films there's a further snippet of drama during the end credits.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Just started seeing re-runs of a series called "Raising Hope" which is on just before I go to work. There are no well known stars in it, apart from Cloris Leachman of Mel Brookes fame, but some of it is laugh out loud. It's really just about a dysfunctional blue collar family, but there's a lot of truth in it and some really off the wall humour. It's not going to win any awards but always puts me in a good mood before heading off to work.

Sonic

Spiky little bugger!
Jul 6, 2003
Patcham
Started watching Happy! on netflix. It's crazy and violent and hilarious.

I watched Happy and loved it. Just finished 'Impulse' which is a YouTube Original. Well worth watching.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Well I finished it last night, after watching I did some homework, fearful of spoilers before then.

Sharp Objects was the first book written by the author of Gone Girl, she along with Adams developed it for TV.

I'm not going to give it massive endorsement as I found the flashbacks too intrusive, but it was certainly good enough to give it a try.

Top tip - A la Marvel films there's a further snippet of drama during the end credits.

I'm giving Ozark another :bounce:.
Season 2 already on Netflix :)

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free

Appreciated the tip. It was some way into the credits and I would normally have turned off by then.

I had a similar mixed view of the programme over all. Plenty of intrigue and well shot, but sometimes unnecessarily dis-jointed.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Appreciated the tip. It was some way into the credits and I would normally have turned off by then.

I had a similar mixed view of the programme over all. Plenty of intrigue and well shot, but sometimes unnecessarily dis-jointed.

Obviously it does all come together and the flashbacks do either ease off or I just got used to them.

I did stick with it, you're right it is well shot, oddly I enjoyed/noticed the background noise.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
There are a lot of superhero films and tv shows around at the moment, so if you're not a massive fan of them this might not interest you, but I recently binged on Cloak and Dagger on Amazon Prime. It's a 10-episode marvel series. It exists in the same universe as the rest but you wouldn't know it. Set in New Orleans it is largely unaffected by events in the movies and other tv shows. There's a throwaway reference to Stark late in the series, but generally it stands alone. It Is about two people who are linked after suffering linked tragedies when young. One trades in fears and darkness, with the ability to disappear and teleport, the other trades in hopes and light, with the ability to create light daggers and such. They are each drawn to each other later in life when their powers start to come out and they each want to undo past injustices. It's not the sort of show that rushes to establish their superhero identities and turn them into heroes right away. It takes the 10 episodes and even by the end they still haven't really started running around as costumed heroes, but I really liked it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here