Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Buying a House in Brighton - Possible/Sensible?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Most of Newhaven faces north or east and is therefore in the shade for far longer periods than any other town on the south coast. When you drive over make sure you have enough petrol to get round the one way system straight back out & up the hill to sunshine and civilisation

Yeah my south facing back garden, living room and bedrooms with sea views are dark as hell :(

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Nothing to disagree with there. All I know is my mum is looking to move and she was disappointed about the valuation of her home. It's a nice enough street and the house is immaculate, she keeps up to speed with the values of the other houses in her street and they've been consistently priced. I don't know whether she bought at an overly inflated time or what but she doesn't seem to be seeing much of a return for a house she's been in for 10 years :shrug: maybe the area is rough, but you guys would be better placed to know that?

I think 10 years ago the prices were pretty high but not at there highest, I think the peak was in 2008/9 and then they started dropping, I have seen a fair few houses being sold in my area of town recently.

I can't really comment on your mothers property unless I knew which part of town it is in.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
What's the pub scene in Newhaven like these days?

I went to The Ark yesterday evening, we sat outside as it was nice and most of the other customers had the same idea, there was a band setting up inside but I left before they started.
Nice friendly relaxed pub with decent beer, I noticed they stopped doing food at 6PM on Saturdays.

I go down to The Hope sometimes which is my favourite pub in Newhaven, it's a very friendly well run pub with good beer and decent pub food.
They have live music in there on some Saturday nights.

I went to the Jolly Boatman to watch the Forest match on TV at the end of last season, it wasn't bad that day TBF and the staff brought out free sandwiches, the place could do with a lick of paint inside and a good scrub.
I went there on a Sunday for the Derby play off match and there was a complete different crowd drinking in there, let's say I didn't stay in there very long.

Even though I have lived here since 2001 I still haven't been in all the pubs in town.

The Railway Club always seems busy on a match day but I haven't been in yet.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I went to The Ark yesterday evening, we sat outside as it was nice and most of the other customers had the same idea, there was a band setting up inside but I left before they started.
Nice friendly relaxed pub with decent beer, I noticed they stopped doing food at 6PM on Saturdays.

I go down to The Hope sometimes which is my favourite pub in Newhaven, it's a very friendly we'll run pub with good beer and decent pub food.
They have live music in there on some Saturday nights.

I went to the Jolly Boatman to watch the Forest match on TV at the end of last season, it wasn't bad that day TBF and the staff brought out free sandwiches, the place could do with a lick of paint inside and a good scrub.
I went there on a Sunday for the Derby play off match and there was a complete different crowd drinking in there, let's say I didn't stay in there very long.

Even though I have lived here since 2001 I still haven't been in all the pubs in town.

The Railway Club always seems busy on a match day but I haven't been in yet.

Interesting to hear. I was raised in Newhaven and frequented The Arc a fair bit in my youth (mid 80s).

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
You've never sunbathed on Rhyl beach

I think the fact that Rhyl beach is on the West Coast of Wales, and Newhaven is on the south coast of England, makes your comment absolutely pathetic.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I think 10 years ago the prices were pretty high but not at there highest, I think the peak was in 2008/9 and then they started dropping, I have seen a fair few houses being sold in my area of town recently.

I can't really comment on your mothers property unless I knew which part of town it is in.

Newfield Road.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Interesting to hear. I was raised in Newhaven and frequented The Arc a fair bit in my youth (mid 80s).

In that same era, we had quite a few evenings at the Sheffield, Newfield, Ark, Flying Fish. Don't think we ever visited the pubs in Bridge Street, or any pubs down the East Quay area.

From there on inwards, we just headed to Brighton and its many attractions.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Newfield Road.

I have done a few jobs in that road and the houses aren't bad and the area isn't rough.
But the parking can be a problem as the houses don't have drives and people from Brighton Road ( A259 ) park in Newfield Road, it's very busy in the evening.
Also that road is a 'rat run' with plenty of people cutting through to the School at the end of the road.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I have done a few jobs in that road and the houses aren't bad and the area isn't rough.
But the parking can be a problem as the houses don't have drives and people from Brighton Road ( A259 ) park in Newfield Road, it's very busy in the evening.
Also that road is a 'rat run' with plenty of people cutting through to the School at the end of the road.

That's the other thing we have now that I never dreamed of, a drive and a garage.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean

Its even more awful at school pick up/drop off times now that grays has moved into the harbour primary (Southdown) site

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
That's the other thing we have now that I never dreamed of, a drive and a garage.

You have also got better views from your house, having a drive is always handy even for simple things like car cleaning and bringing in the shopping, when I lived near the 7 Dials I sometimes parked 2 streets away.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Where did you live in Newhaven? And when did you move away?

Valley Road. I moved away in '87 , at 18, to London to study. Whilst I wanted to move away to the bright lights of London I had a great childhood there and always look back on my time there very fondly.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Valley Road. I moved away in '87 , at 18, to London to study. Whilst I wanted to move away to the bright lights of London I had a great childhood there and always look back on my time there very fondly.

I expect you knew my wife, she lived in Valley Close and is the same age as yourself, she went to Meeching Valley School and Tideway.
Her parents now live in Valley Road.

In my job I get to meet plenty of Newhaven residents that have always lived here, I always like to listen to stories from OAPs about the town, as much as I liked growing up in Brighton I do like living here.

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
Certainly the town centre is better but we looked at some shithouse houses there which were in the middle of a vast grim estate and miles from any shops or anything else...

That would be the estate bit, which ain't great. I'm at the bishopstone side. Some lovely houses round me

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here