Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Difficulty of run-in

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I was visiting friends in Liverpool last weekend and went to see the Liverpool v Tottenham game. Quite frankly the thought that we might need to go there for the last game of the season needing to win filled me with horror!!

Someone stole the wheels off your car?

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Several of the lower sides have picked up points against the top six with a little tweak no reason we can't pick up points home to Man U, Arsenal or Spurs. Positivity against these teams, to a degree it's a free hit.
Also I don't buy into the "Palace have an easy run" they have a good (ish) record against the top sides but a poor record against the bottom ten. We all know their are no easy games as Palace have proved in the last two games with a home draw and an away defeat. After the next round of league games we could be four points clear of them with a superior goal difference, I would rather have the points on the board rather than the pressure of playing catch up.
Enjoy the ride!

biddles911

May 12, 2014
Several of the lower sides have picked up points against the top six with a little tweak no reason we can't pick up points home to Man U, Arsenal or Spurs. Positivity against these teams, to a degree it's a free hit.
Also I don't buy into the "Palace have an easy run" they have a good (ish) record against the top sides but a poor record against the bottom ten. We all know their are no easy games as Palace have proved in the last two games with a home draw and an away defeat. After the next round of league games we could be four points clear of them with a superior goal difference, I would rather have the points on the board rather than the pressure of playing catch up.
Enjoy the ride!

Might be easier to pick up points against the top teams towards the end of the season anyway, as the title is likely to be wrapped up well before then.

If the top four pull away too then none of them may have much to play for. Here’s hoping.........!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
I’ve said all season that we needed to get the points to survive by first of March. This is going to be very tough. Must beast Swansea, Huddersfield abd one other at the very least. The points needed for the final relegation place could be higher this year than in many previous years

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Other things not factored in are Injuries and Champions League commitments. Palace and West Ham have got some horrendous injury issues at the mo, whereas we have been relatively lucky (touch wood). Huddersfield and Newcastle have quite small squads (in terms of quality), so anything serious could be vital (although looks like Mooy’s injury isn’t too bad).

I haven’t cross-referenced our fixtures vs Champions Lge for the Top Four, but i’m sure someone has. It may or may not work for us.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
Swansea have had the new manager bounce effect. FA Cup break has come at the perfect time. With that as our next fixture. They will level out. 1 nil win against a Burnley side, who haven't won in 10 games.. Will will turn Swansea and Huddersfield over. Then we just need 3 more points from somewhere.

Kev? Has someone slipped you a positivity pill or what?

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Someone stole the wheels off your car?

No - I didn't take it for precisely that reason!! Not that I'd want to stereotype scousers - the friend I went to stay with is an Intensive Care consultant and I just about trust him not to do that!

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Whatever happens, I think we'll see the best atmosphere at any Albion game ever more than once in the coming months. Hold on to your undercrackers, this is going to be a ****ing NIGHTMARE.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Gonna go to the wire, win at home v Man U to stay up?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
We are pretty much sunk if we fail to beat Swansea.

The run in isn't worth worrying much about unless we first get those 3 points.

Peter Ward

Dec 5, 2014
out back
As i've said on another thread, the effect of injuries to key players towards the end of the season is always a threat to all ten squads in the lower half. Stoke are a good example, if Shaquira gets the flu or loses a toe nail then they are completely fiicked (if they're not already). We are better placed than most of our competitors for 17th place now with the strengthened side.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
We are pretty much sunk if we fail to beat Swansea.

The run in isn't worth worrying much about unless we first get those 3 points.

You've said this on pretty much every thread about this league. I do think you're wrong.

A draw would have us on 29 with 10 to play. We'd still have home games against Arsenal, Leicester, Huddersfield, Spurs and MU. We'd have away games at Everton, Burnley and Palace as well as Man City and Liverpool. If you do a predictor, you can see many of the sides below us play each other, so there is always going to be someone dropping points below us. I can see us getting points away as well as at home. We might get away with needing 8 points from those 10, we have shown we are capable of that.

It's far from sunk if we fail to beat Swansea. It becomes a lot more difficult, but still a lot to play for.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
You've said this on pretty much every thread about this league. I do think you're wrong.

A draw would have us on 29 with 10 to play. We'd still have home games against Arsenal, Leicester, Huddersfield, Spurs and MU. We'd have away games at Everton, Burnley and Palace as well as Man City and Liverpool. If you do a predictor, you can see many of the sides below us play each other, so there is always going to be someone dropping points below us. I can see us getting points away as well as at home. We might get away with needing 8 points from those 10, we have shown we are capable of that.

It's far from sunk if we fail to beat Swansea. It becomes a lot more difficult, but still a lot to play for.

Correct.

I've been watching the Albion since the mid 80's and I believe this season is a world record for the amount of "this is a must win" and "well if we don't wintoday we're definitely ****ed" I'm hearing.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Correct.

I've been watching the Albion since the mid 80's and I believe this season is a world record for the amount of "this is a must win" and "well if we don't wintoday we're definitely ****ed" I'm hearing.
Swansea is the first Must-Win of the season.

Nothing before has been - there have been a couple of Must-Not-Loses.

The path to 38 points is very narrow - we'll fall short very easily, without 6 points from Swansea and Huddersfield it looks bleak.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here