Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Minutes Applause for Regis.

arfer guinness

Feb 15, 2007
Yes - because it's all about you.

Meanwhile, the fact that you choose to actively overlook - as if they didn't matter - the efforts of Cyrille Regis, and the great benefits they have brought to society as a whole, says so much about you...

I think you've misread the criticism to the applause. Everyone appears to be in agreement with Cyrille Regis as a man, a footballer and what he represented. But where do we end with the applause, will the death of the Queen or Duke of Edinburgh warrant it, how about the first openly homosexual footballer, what about Pele, he ticks all the boxes, great footballer, ambassador for the game and black. My own opinion is to not single any one person out but include all at the end of the season, the passing of fans, ex players and anyone else who in the eyes of the majority warrant a remembrance.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I think you've misread the criticism to the applause. Everyone appears to be in agreement with Cyrille Regis as a man, a footballer and what he represented. But where do we end with the applause, will the death of the Queen or Duke of Edinburgh warrant it, how about the first openly homosexual footballer, what about Pele, he ticks all the boxes, great footballer, ambassador for the game and black. My own opinion is to not single any one person out but include all at the end of the season, the passing of fans, ex players and anyone else who in the eyes of the majority warrant a remembrance.

Agree - maybe some sort of rolling photo montage like they do on SPOTY before the last home game of the season

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
If we didn’t do it for X we shouldn’t do for Y. If we did it for Y we must do it for X. If we do it for Y we must do it for everyone. All that leads to is someone just saying fxxk it, we won’t do it at all. Each case should be assessed on its own merits and the decision will never please everyone.

I thought the club got it wrong over Piper but that was a separate issue to Regis.Apart from being about the man and what he did and stood for, the applause for Regis was also an opportunity to reflect on how bad things were not that long ago and how widespread racism was across grounds in the UK. I remember a young black Huddersfield winger coming on as a sub at a game in the early 70s and being met with a chorus of monkey noises every time he got the ball coming from a large contingent in the West Stand seats. He had to be taken off after 10 mins. I also recall a piece of good natured banter directed at Dave Busby at around the same time which urged him to ‘pick up the ball and peel it’. Things were much more vicious at Chelsea in the 80s and their fans joining in with us was significant.

If you don’t agree, you shouldn’t feel under any pressure to join I think people should have the generosity of spirit to recognise that this meant a lot to some people; including our manager.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
For the younger ones who never saw any of this stuff, don't worry, the World Cup is coming up soon and they still do it from time to time in Russia......................

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
They are two separate reasons and should be discussed as such.

I clearly remember (although very young) a banana being chucked from the West Stand at the Goldstone. It was pre match towards a black player who was suited and out on the pitch for some reason.

Bananas were thrown at a Doncaster player at the last game at the Goldstone - came from the north west terrace, in front of where the Lego Stand used to be. For those who question the importance of Regis, read Liam Rosenior's piece in The Guardian and the book The Three Degrees. then be ashamed of yourself.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
There is a valid argument to be had about where a line is drawn about who deserves a minute’s applause or silence. The one for Glenn Hoddle’s dad at Tottenham was obviously a step too far, but any former Albion player, especially a locally-born one such as Pipes, is surely a no-brainier. Paul McCarthy too. Players who played for our visitors for any length of time? I suppose it depends. What if, say, Vinnie Jones met with a fatal accident and we were playing AFC Wimbledon or Leeds?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
My grandad, who came along with me and my Dad , sat with me as a season ticket holder in the mid 70s in the West Stand in the Goldstone, regularly used to pick verbal fights, usually involving swearing loudly, with Albion fans who sat around us and regularly abused and were racist to black players. There was plenty of it. Although he had a tendency to pick rows with anyone to be honest.
He sometimes also swore at me as well. What a charmer . A rather difficult and complex man . But i was proud of him for this.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Some people transcend their role or talent to the extent that they represent far more than their individual achievements. Football has a dark past that occasionally lingers to this day. Happy that we as a club respected a player that did transcend just playing football.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
To be fair they could have mentioned Steve Piper as well, so the minutes applause could have been for both players for different reasons.

Could it, though? By the time we played, the Premier League had mandated a minute’s applause for Regis before all its matches, so adding Pipes might have been tricky and seen as diluting the respect being shown to a true icon of the game (and whom I was fortunate enough to meet once - a great and very humble man). Maybe something for Pipes before the West Ham game?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
Could it, though? By the time we played, the Premier League had mandated a minute’s applause for Regis before all its matches, so adding Pipes might have been tricky and seen as diluting the respect being shown to a true icon of the game (and whom I was fortunate enough to meet once - a great and very humble man). Maybe something for Pipes before the West Ham game?

The club responded at the time to [MENTION=3666]lenny[/MENTION]rider , according to his posts, saying their rather tough policy imo for this sort of tribute was a player had to have had > 250 Albion appearances.

kjgood

Okay, I'll give it a go.

Regis was a footballer in the top flight of the league. A good player.

He was black. There weren't many black players around.

He was given a lot of shit about it. He rode the monkey chants, the bananas, and the threatening posture of so many fans.

He was called up to play for England. Most people get a pat on the back and letters of support. He got a bullet in the post.

He maintained his dignity throughout. He trailblazed a route for black youngsters who looked up to him and thought ''I can do this''.

He died young with the respect of a country- many now deep in thought about his legacy and saying ''Never again should players be allowed to experience this treatment''

I hope this answers your question as to way he may be more deserving than others. It's because most didn't have to get to the top with so much shite being thrown at them. And neither has their courage proved such a turning point in cultural attitudes.

Thank you, well said.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
But (genuine question) why is he in particular being picked out as the pioneer black footballer?

Laurie Cunningham spent more years playing abroad than he did in this country, including 5 years mainly warming the bench at Real Madrid, while Batson was a lowly left-back.

Regis made a bigger impact because of his goal-scoring prowess, his athleticism and physique that - when in his prime - put the fear of God into defenders. He was like the football equivalent of a West Indian fast bowler, and he spent his whole 20-year career in this country too, but being black and a goal-scorer he copped more abuse than most.

kjgood

Carrying on this discussion regarding the difficulties of how the black footballers of the seventies trail blazed for those who now play, I wonder what the ratio of black to white players in the premier league is now? i'd hazard a guess that there are now a similar number of black players playing as white and maybe even slightly more. The Three Degrees and players like Clyde Best and George Parrish really did trail blaze. And before any comes back saying we shouldnt differentiate based on skin colour, I totally agree. My post is celebrating the work Cyril and the others did and how the world has moved on for the better.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Carrying on this discussion regarding the difficulties of how the black footballers of the seventies trail blazed for those who now play, I wonder what the ratio of black to white players in the premier league is now? i'd hazard a guess that there are now a similar number of black players playing as white and maybe even slightly more. The Three Degrees and players like Clyde Best and George Parrish really did trail blaze. And before any comes back saying we shouldnt differentiate based on skin colour, I totally agree. My post is celebrating the work Cyril and the others did and how the world has moved on for the better.

Except in some posters' heads...

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

When I played footy as a yoof in Bexhill and Sidley in the 1980s, there used to be this big black lad called 'Buzz' (Dave Bullen)
[MENTION=1958]Gazwag[/MENTION] may remember him?
Played up front for various local teams, and was always in a minority, due to the fact that at that time, there was not a lot of black players playing for the local sides in my area.
He was a nice guy, always helping out with the younger players and giving advice.
This would of been at the time when black players were making their mark in the English leagues.

Last edited:

el punal

Is it me or is anyone else asking why??

He was just a footballer wasn't he? or did I miss something.

Not sure I've done a minutes applause for all the other Players who died in the last year.

What's different??

Don't know whether you're being facetious or not. I'll give you the benefit of doubt and reckon you're ignorant of what has occurred in football over the last forty years. Back in the 1970s black players were few and far between and when they played they used to receive unbelievable amounts of racist abuse. Cyrille Regis was one those players and acted as a beacon for many more black players coming into the game. Because of him, and a few others, football is now so much tolerant, and richer, in accepting and welcoming black players.

I suggest that you actually read up about Cyrille Regis and, indeed, the views of Chris Hughton, about the role of black people in football. At least then it would save you from a few sarcastic, and justified, responses.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Don't know whether you're being facetious or not. I'll give you the benefit of doubt and reckon you're ignorant of what has occurred in football over the last forty years. Back in the 1970s black players were few and far between and when they played they used to receive unbelievable amounts of racist abuse. Cyrille Regis was one those players and acted as a beacon for many more black players coming into the game. Because of him, and a few others, football is now so much tolerant, and richer, in accepting and welcoming black players.

I suggest that you actually read up about Cyrille Regis and, indeed, the views of Chris Hughton, about the role of black people in football. At least then it would save you from a few sarcastic, and justified, responses.

He's 54

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The club responded at the time to [MENTION=3666]lenny[/MENTION]rider , according to his posts, saying their rather tough policy imo for this sort of tribute was a player had to have had > 250 Albion appearances.
That was subsequently clarified by the club as a guideline rather than an absolute rule.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Bananas were thrown at a Doncaster player at the last game at the Goldstone - came from the north west terrace, in front of where the Lego Stand used to be. For those who question the importance of Regis, read Liam Rosenior's piece in The Guardian and the book The Three Degrees. then be ashamed of yourself.

Jesus - what I saw was way before that.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here