Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kayal out for 8-10 weeks - broken FIBULA

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
Might be going against the grain but didn't think he was looking great in pre season and thought we distinctly improved when Sidwell came on on Sunday. Will still be a blow to the strength of the squad but Stephens, Groß and Propper would be my first choice central 3. Given the fact that there are fewer games in quick succession I hope that we'll need less squad rotation this season as well.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I was thinking that as well. I'm sure the powers that be are too.
Options :

(1) Mathias Normann
(2) Another U21 signing
(3) Player on half season loan, Kayal out of squad until Jan 1st.
(4) Ales Mateju for rightback. Now recruit a midfielder instead of a rightback to 25 man squad.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
A small fracture to the fibula should be no big deal long term. I ended up with a 'S' bend in mine after a break that involved the tibia too, but I'm sure he'll have better surgeons / care than I did! Shame for Kayal though, a very good player on his day, but we have enough cover.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]895268139478519808[/tweet]

As opposed to Baldock who has been out for 12+ weeks and counting.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
A small fracture to the fibula should be no big deal long term. I ended up with an 'S' bend in mine after a break that involved the tibia too, but I'm sure he'll have better surgeons / care than I did! Shame for Kayal though, a very good player on his day, but we have enough cover.

Do we?

Surely, the only cover we have is Sidwell, if Hughton sets up as we expect him to in a 4-4-1-1. The middle 2 of the midfield 4 would have been between Stephens, Propper, Kayal and Sidwell (possibly in that order), with Gross or Brown then linking to Murray or Hemed.

There are other options, of course, but they involve players being out of position, if only ever so slightly, but at this level that could make the difference.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Shame looked pretty good pre season. Assume Sidewell or Propper to start Saturday. Gross could also fill in there with Brown playing at 10

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Do we?

Surely, the only cover we have is Sidwell, if Hughton sets up as we expect him to in a 4-4-1-1. The middle 2 of the midfield 4 would have been between Stephens, Propper, Kayal and Sidwell (possibly in that order), with Gross or Brown then linking to Murray or Hemed.

There are other options, of course, but they involve players being out of position, if only ever so slightly, but at this level that could make the difference.

Fair point. I'm not saying we won't miss him potentially, just that we have good strength and options across the midfield.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Really annoying. However, I don't think it makes any difference to the starting lineup on Saturday. You don't pay £10 million for a player and not use him. I think Kayal would only have been the first back up in Hughton's first choice 11 at the moment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here