Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2017

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Of course what she said was wrong, but this is from the BBC article.

Suggesting that just 7% of financial services would be affected by Brexit, she reportedly said: "Now I am sure there will be many people who will challenge that but my response and my request is look at the detail - it isn't all doom and gloom."
She went on: "Now we get to the real ****** in the woodpile, which is in two years what happens if there is no deal."
'Zero tolerance'
The phrase originated in the American Deep South in the mid-19th Century and is thought to have referred to slaves having to conceal themselves as they sought to flee north and secure their freedom.
It was subsequently used in the 20th Century - including by a number of leading novelists - as a metaphor to describe a hidden fact or problem.

So, get it into context. She was using a metaphor - albeit a very un PC one to use. Of course she needs to be punished/reprimanded though.

We know what the metaphor MEANS, ffs!

There's no 'context' required. If she were not a racist, the phrase would not have come close to her mind, let alone her lips.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Sir Geoff Hurst once used the same phrase live on BBC1.......................... ..(About 1 minute in)

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Sir Geoff Hurst once used the same phrase live on BBC1.......................... ..(About 1 minute in)

Yes thats 27 yrs ago. The world has moved on since then. Many of my younger colleagues (under 35) hadnt heard the phrase before

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Yes thats 27 yrs ago. The world has moved on since then. Many of my younger colleagues (under 35) hadnt heard the phrase before

I agree, though perhaps the world hasn't moved on for Anne Marie Morris though.

I hadn't heard the phrase before either until today.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

I have just a tiny bit of sympathy for her......I've heard numerous people use the phrase back in the day, and sure I have myself (albeit not personally for maybe 25 years or more). It's difficult to completely erase such things from your vocabulary and even if they're completely inappropriate they could slip out at some point, but you'd think someone in public office would be more thoughtful.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Magic Money Tree time , bung someone another billion for their votes

How about £100 billion?

corp.JPG

larus

We know what the metaphor MEANS, ffs!

There's no 'context' required. If she were not a racist, the phrase would not have come close to her mind, let alone her lips.

Yes, but nowhere in the posts by Ernest did he mention what she'd said FFS. OK. He said she's just used the n word. FFS. I expanded so it was clear what she'd said FFS. See, anyone can say FFS, it's really easy.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I have just a tiny bit of sympathy for her......I've heard numerous people use the phrase back in the day, and sure I have myself (albeit not personally for maybe 25 years or more). It's difficult to completely erase such things from your vocabulary and even if they're completely inappropriate they could slip out at some point, but you'd think someone in public office would be more thoughtful.

Hmm, step back a second and have a think about this one - Most of us know that '******' is deeply offensive in it's own right, it's use in this phrase is off the scale. Without having to state the bleeding obvious, we're referring to black people hiding to try and escape slavery as, well, a little hidden problem. Using it in a jocular manner to describe some issue with Brexit is sickening.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Hmm, step back a second and have a think about this one - Most of us know that '******' is deeply offensive in it's own right, it's use in this phrase is off the scale. Without having to state the bleeding obvious, we're referring to black people hiding to try and escape slavery as, well, a little hidden problem. Using it in a jocular manner to describe some issue with Brexit is sickening.
Yes, that's why I said 'tiny'. Never said anything you instantly regretted?

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I am pretty sure it is easy to not use a racist phrase. Unless, you know, you are.

you never sang the eeny, meeny, miny, mo rhyme as a child? about everyone over 30 would know the next line didnt used to say tiger. so you're saying over half the population is racist, or maybe recognise the point dazzer6666 is making.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
you never sang the eeny, meeny, miny, mo rhyme as a child? about everyone over 30 would know the next line didnt used to say tiger. so you're saying over half the population is racist, or maybe recognise the point dazzer6666 is making.
I was brought up in a small Devon village. We had one black kid in the whole school. He was known as 'Nig Nog'....including to the teachers. Times have changed thank goodness

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Plenty of people in public office, or public positions, are seemingly able to overcome this difficulty. Her position is now untenable. She has to resign as an MP.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

I wonder when 'Elephant in the Room' will somehow become identified as an expression from the Days of the British Raj and a deeply offensive racist term punishable by instant dismissal!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here