Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2017

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
The name of this Tory MP who was in the IRA, please. It's a very simple request.

I see I have made a mistake (which I'm sure you'll use to disregard all of my previous comments) it was indeed a Tory councillor that was in the IRA and not an MP. Worth noting in my initial comment I used the term councillor and it was only in my later comment I made the mistake.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
I believe he refers to Maria Gatland AKA Maria McGuire.

I was and I have acknowledged my mistake from my previous post. In both posts prior to that I referred to her correctly as a councillor however.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
General Election - New poll added 21/05/17

Jeremy Corbyn wasn't in the IRA nor was he a sympathiser, A bunch of right wing conspiracy loons have found a few out of context quotes and pieced together a ridiculous story that simply doesn't add up but is convenient for them to rubbish Corbyn with and avoid intelligent debate.

If so, it's not much different to the ridiculous shite that the left, including loons like [MENTION=1416]Ernest[/MENTION], trawl up to try and smear various Conservatives.

I'm coming round to the view that maybe we broadly get the politics, and the politicians, we deserve.

So many treat the whole thing in a manner not dissimilar to the way the tabloids treat various personalities.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
If I am to be discussing "intelligent debate" with anyone this afternoon, believe me Westdene Seagull, it won't be you.

Don't worry - I'm sure your chum Ernest will be able to provide you debate at your own intelligence level.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Emma Barnett hits back at claims of bias during her Corbyn interview. But a former BBC correspondent attacks her the way she conducted the whole interview. I haven't listed to it all, but I have watched the small clip the BBC have provided. But from that small clip, I did notice she clearly LIED. She says "you're holding your manifesto, you're flicking through it". He wasn't holding the manifesto, nor flicking through it. It was sitting closed on the table. He touched it. It was a radio program so it's not something listeners would be able to see. On the face of it, that seems to me she was trying to amplify the situation. Her attitude on Twitter (retweeting comment from another as to how the interview went, etc) doesn't seem wholly impartial.

[tweet]869492898374574080[/tweet]

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I see I have made a mistake (which I'm sure you'll use to disregard all of my previous comments) it was indeed a Tory councillor that was in the IRA and not an MP. Worth noting in my initial comment I used the term councillor and it was only in my later comment I made the mistake.

Ah. Now I understand why you place such great store by this particular whataboutery. Oh, by the way. you are also wrong by stating that I'd be voting Tory. I won't be.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Emma Barnett hits back at claims of bias during her Corbyn interview. But a former BBC correspondent attacks her the way she conducted the whole interview. I haven't listed to it all, but I have watched the small clip the BBC have provided. But from that small clip, I did notice she clearly LIED. She says "you're holding your manifesto, you're flicking through it". He wasn't holding the manifesto, nor flicking through it. It was sitting closed on the table. He touched it. It was a radio program so it's not something listeners would be able to see. On the face of it, that seems to me she was trying to amplify the situation. Her attitude on Twitter (retweeting comment from another as to how the interview went, etc) doesn't seem wholly impartial.

[tweet]869492898374574080[/tweet]

Prior to that she commented that he was logging onto his iPad, so my assumption was that she meant he was flicking through a digital version of the manifesto on that same iPad.

Not that it matters. As I say, it's not a memory test.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
57764bb34e58b4bfb2f586e114d785e4.jpg

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Exactly, my lads are in the same boat. Do you think mass immigration under the Labour party was good for 1) Having enough properties 2) Keeping the prices of properties down to more affordable prices.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Jeremy Corbyn wasn't in the IRA nor was he a sympathiser, A bunch of right wing conspiracy loons have found a few out of context quotes and pieced together a ridiculous story that simply doesn't add up but is convenient for them to rubbish Corbyn with and avoid intelligent debate.

There is a poster further back claiming that Corbyn was supporting the IRA, but then also going to be weak on defence, weak on terrorism, always voting for peace, or not being tough enough. Doesn't make any sense to me that a person that has campaigned for peace all his life suddenly supported a terrorist organisation. Yes, he may have met representatives that in his mind was an attempt to start peaceful dialogue, that the only resolution was to lobby for peace. He may have made misjudgements along the way, but from all the evidence I have seen, the biggest accusation I think that can be made is that he was naive in his approach. You cannot on the one hand be critical of someone for being too peaceful and not have the security and defence of our country at their heart, and at the same time say they supported a violent organisation - I just don't buy that.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Ah. Now I understand why you place such great store by this particular whataboutery. Oh, by the way. you are also wrong by stating that I'd be voting Tory. I won't be.

During our back and forth it's your maturity in the face of debate that I've come to admire...

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Prior to that she commented that he was logging onto his iPad, so my assumption was that she meant he was flicking through a digital version of the manifesto on that same iPad.

Apparently he was on his I Pad, getting correct information from Abbott :D

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003

She says "you're holding your manifesto, you're flicking through it, you've got an iPad there, you've had a phone call while we're in here, and you don't know how much it is going to cost".

I've just re-watched the video and he does actually flick through the manifesto for a second (flicks through the pages rapidly but at a zillion mph so clearly not trying to read anything, it just looked like nerves). This is after someone puts the manifesto on the table after she had already asked the question. He never holds it.

It also looks like someone did try to call him, and he put his phone away. "You've had a phone call while we're in here" implies he answered a call, possibly from someone trying to provide him with the correct figure. I'm not sure what the point of mentioning that was either, except to try and make him look bad.

It seems to me she presented a skewed version of the events that occurred in the previous seconds.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2017-40090520

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Exactly, my lads are in the same boat. Do you think mass immigration under the Labour party was good for 1) Having enough properties 2) Keeping the prices of properties down to more affordable prices.

How much has mass immigration over the past 20 years (under Labour and Tory governments) affected property prices and how much has every other factor that can affect property prices affected property prices increasing?

How much difference will reducing net immigration to 100,000 (eventually, hopefully, possibly one day) make to property prices?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Where can I access the Tory manifesto costings? Oh.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here