Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Proposal for all German immigrants to be 'encouraged' to speak German, even at home

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I can't understand the hostility towards people who speak more than one language. There's been a lot of research undertaken and those who are bi/multilingual live longer, have a reduced chance of developing dementia, can multitask more efficiently, earn more and develop a higher IQ than those that don't. My wife has been a primary school head in a non-affluent catchment area and she says most of the kids from a migrant family where more than one language is spoken do extremely well.

I must admit to being at a loss to fathom out why you have posted this. I don't think that I have ever encountered any hostility to folk who speak more than one language, as I do. I am sure that what you quote is right if you say so, regarding the research. And doubtless your wife's experience is quite true -if the parents insist on two languages being used, then it speaks volumes for them and is an undoubtedly advantage for their children in later life. The problem is when parents make no effort to encourage the use of the "home" language, which makes it harder for them to integrate, and is more likely to create an "us and them" situation, which this thread is all about.

goldstone68

Aug 31, 2014
darkside
One of the regrets I have, is in not speaking a second language other than jibberish, I spent too much time looking out the windows at school.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here