Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Thunderstorms... they are a comin !

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
Correction zero boy. Computers in the form we know them had been around ~25 years by 1976. :) Home computers - you are
right.

You're right. I do remember them bringing in a computer where I worked in about 77. Huge thing in an air-conditioned room that no-one was allowed in.

All to run a payroll for c600 people :smile:

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I already have a massive crack running therough the middle of my back lawn. It could rain non stop for a week and l dont think it will make much difference.
Massive cracks on outfields are starting to cause cricket matches to be called off. At my club we have had to cancel one junior match already and only large scale deliveries of soil - with work gangs to fill cracks and ram it in - are going to make play possible.

At the moment these repairs are possible but presumably the situation is only going to get worse - and could well get beyond the point where we, as reverse King Canutes, can keep up with the lack of water.

I think you are spot on with observation about just how much sustained rain is needed to make any difference. Today's sprinkle in East Sussex will certainly have zero impact. At the moment it seems odds on that drought conditions will persist for another month at least...

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Cloudy, humid and dry here.

Other than the patchy stuff in the East I fear that the coastal strip will miss out again as any French rain won't make it across and the showers will develop inland an drift north.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
Cloudy, humid and dry here.

Other than the patchy stuff in the East I fear that the coastal strip will miss out again as any French rain won't make it across and the showers will develop inland an drift north.

Based on totally anecdotal evidence, I make you right. It started off as you described in Southampton and now normal service has resumed. Lovely and sunny now.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
BBC's white cloud icon and "30% chance of rain" is actually delivering a reasonably good sprinkle in BN21. Enough to mean the garden won't need watering and to settle the dust at the cricket ground - so am happy with that.

Being the first day of Moshe Jnr's school holiday it was ALWAYS going to rain today... :)

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Have I missed them, or have we missed out again

I might have to have a word with [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] and have this thread taken down due to my ridiculous Timmy like stupidity in going large on a downpour. :facepalm:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Massive cracks on outfields are starting to cause cricket matches to be called off. At my club we have had to cancel one junior match already and only large scale deliveries of soil - with work gangs to fill cracks and ram it in - are going to make play possible.

At the moment these repairs are possible but presumably the situation is only going to get worse - and could well get beyond the point where we, as reverse King Canutes, can keep up with the lack of water.

I think you are spot on with observation about just how much sustained rain is needed to make any difference. Today's sprinkle in East Sussex will certainly have zero impact. At the moment it seems odds on that drought conditions will persist for another month at least...

I have some pretty amazing cracks in the soil up my allotment, you can just keep pouring water down them and nothing happens, not a good year to be a worm !

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It has been raining continuously here since about ten O'clock. But that strange kind of rain that makes the surface of the ground wet but nothing more. Made the mistake of taking a walk near a dried up brook this afternoon, in the drizzle.....mosquitos....the little ravenous b'astards. :tantrum:

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It has been raining continuously here since about ten O'Clock. But that strange kid of rain that makes the surface of the ground wet but nothing more. Made the mistake of taking a walk near a dried up brook this afternoon, in the drizzle.....mosquitos....the little ravenous b'astards. :tantrum:

Spent much of the day in Tunbridge Wells and experienced the same.

Kent really is shit.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
It has been raining continuously here since about ten O'clock. But that strange kind of rain that makes the surface of the ground wet but nothing more. Made the mistake of taking a walk near a dried up brook this afternoon, in the drizzle.....mosquitos....the little ravenous b'astards. :tantrum:

Sadly we are now getting some of the considerably bigger ravenous b'astards which bite all the harder and may one day introduce much worse as in malaria.

Denis

Mar 25, 2013
Portslade
Nothing in Portslade yet, I bet we miss out, yet again. I hate to think what my water bill will be as I’ve let the grandchildren play in paddling pool and sprinkler all summer!

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
Looks like it could be a restless night ahead for some of us....

IMG_6050.jpg

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Already kicking off up towards Crawley

Peteinblack

NSC Patreon
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
I’m in Brighton tonight, so I demand a thunderstorm ��⚡

Paying the bills