Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] DIY advice please

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
good morning all, can someone recommend an 18v combi drill for basic DIY jobs. budget of about £100. thank you very muchly.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

Can’t find a way of copying the Amazon link without publishing my partner’s account details...

I got the Bosch PSB 1800 Li-2. Very happy with it. With 2 batteries about £80.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Dewalt Screwfix deal at the moment £99 why mess about with anything else.

Given this user’s job, and the fact that his recommendation is within your budget - I’d be inclined to give his thoughts rather more consideration than mine!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
good morning all, can someone recommend an 18v combi drill for basic DIY jobs. budget of about £100. thank you very muchly.

Can’t find a way of copying the Amazon link without publishing my partner’s account details...

I got the Bosch PSB 1800 Li-2. Very happy with it. With 2 batteries about £80.
I'd recommend a bit better than the Bosch green range with that budget.

Is this the one [MENTION=24827]Justice[/MENTION] was recommending?
https://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dcd776d2t-gb-18v-2-0ah-li-ion-xr-cordless-combi-drill/899cf

Looks decent. There are several good online sites for power tools. Decent brands I'd recommend include DeWalt, Makita and the Bosch blue range.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Things to consider when purchasing a battery drill

What do you want the drill to do
Wood
Concrete
Brick
Steel
What maximum size holes for each
Do you want to use it as screwdriver
How oftern will it be used and for how long (the average domestic battery drill is used twice a year apparently)
Once you have a clear answer to the above you will be able to answer the following
Do you want SDS or quick release keyless chuck
Will you need metal or plastic gearbox
Will you need 1 or 2 batteries
Is 18 volt what I need and what Amp hour rating
Where and how do you intend maintaining the batteries charge ( if not maintained they will fail within a year batteries are expensive to replace)
Do you intend buying more battery operated tools in the future if so are the batteries and chargers interchangeable Bosch tools are for example
Buy the best you can afford Bosch, Makita, DeWalt, but if it's really for DIY occasional use do exclude some of the better own brands by using the check list you will now have
Finally ask yourself Is a battery drill what I need would a mains drill suit my needs better although more cumbersome it has no batteries to replace and much cheaper to buy and will have far more power if only spending £100

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
when you cay combi presume you mean drill , driver , hammer drill ....dewalt , bosch, hitachi all good but milwaukee are the nuts ....bit pricey but the nutz none the less , lifetime warranty as well.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I'd recommend a bit better than the Bosch green range with that budget.

Is this the one [MENTION=24827]Justice[/MENTION] was recommending?
https://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dcd776d2t-gb-18v-2-0ah-li-ion-xr-cordless-combi-drill/899cf

Looks decent. There are several good online sites for power tools. Decent brands I'd recommend include DeWalt, Makita and the Bosch blue range.
Thats the one as a tradesman mine gets heavy use most days and still going strong charging is rapid and you need two batteries otherwise it's a waste of time. I always buy dewalt have quite a range now.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
DIY purposes never had a problem with my Ryobi One stuff. Got a couple of batteries, and have their lawnmower, drill, multi-tool. Probably not up to a tradesman's daily punishment, but decent quality for DIY at the price.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Dewalt Screwfix deal at the moment £99 why mess about with anything else.

I too am in the market for a new decent cordless combi drill for DIY, not professional work.

I see that this one (still available in the top deals section) is the old type motor with brushes. I'm inclined to look for a brushless drill. Am I wrong to think this ?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I too am in the market for a new decent cordless combi drill for DIY, not professional work.

I see that this one (still available in the top deals section) is the old type motor with brushes. I'm inclined to look for a brushless drill. Am I wrong to think this ?
I’m not sure if it’s brushless or not I’ve hammered mine almost daily for a over a year and still going strong for the £99 highly recommend it.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here