Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Early Leavers at the World Cup

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
...are few and far between, even among supporters of teams that are having their arses handed to them. A sign that patriotism isn't dead, or just that the Russian rail network is better than ours?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
...are few and far between, even among supporters of teams that are having their arses handed to them. A sign that patriotism isn't dead, or just that the Russian rail network is better than ours?
Why leave early, won't be a train for 5 hours anyway.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Having been discussed to ugly death elsewhere this debate is then re-ignited in a different form....

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I see the Saudis scored in the 6th minute of 1st half extra-time and 5th minute of 2nd half extra-time. I wonder if there's a Saudi fan out there who had the misfortune to leave his seat early for a half-time drink, then left early to beat the crush at the end?

el punal

Or is it that the Orel Butchers are waiting outside? By the way, what is Russian for “You’ll never make the station.”?

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London

I think it's more to do with an understanding that this won't ever happen again for Russia. Really interesting interview with citizens of one of the less likely host cities (Saransk I think or maybe Kaliningrad) where the common theme was that this was a once in a life-time opportunity to be a part of the greatest show on earth. They may all leave a regular season club game five mins early, you'll be back there in two weeks for the next game. The World Cup isn't quite the same.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If I'd lashed out an absolute FORTUNE to get all the way there and travelled for hours and hours, damn right I'd stay to the end.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Having been discussed to ugly death elsewhere this debate is then re-ignited in a different form....

It's silly season and I rarely post new threads anyway.

Besides, I would argue that the quality of this topic sits somewhere between the Lionel Ritchie bore-fest and the kitty-killer thread that were recently started.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
... particularly when you are sitting in the sun enjoying as much beer as you want

Which begs the question - do you think one day, when the FA stop treating us like neanderthals, that we'll be able to
enjoy beer in our seats at the Amex?

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Which begs the question - do you think one day, when the FA stop treating us like neanderthals, that we'll be able to

Sometimes sitting near the away fans at the Amex, and experiences at recent away games, unfortunately there's still alot of people looking to exchange words or more if they could. Would pints of beer in hand add fuel?

At the WC countries can vet who travel with the use of passport-enforced banning orders and there's the deterent factor of spending time in a Russian or Qatari prison.

Last edited:

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford

We still have a small minority of neanderthals attending games, so No, I very much doubt we will ever see it here

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
It's because a World Cup game is something that you might only go to once in a lifetime, whereas you'll attend perhaps twenty domestic football matches in a single year. Leaving early to beat the traffic and get back to the hotel before they run out of profiteroles isn't so important as it is for a bog-standard league game.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Unfortunately not for at least another 15 years.

Can anyone who has watched football in Germany tell me whether you can take a beer into the safe standing area? And are you allowed to leave early, with your beer, without being forcibly detained by the early leaving police?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here