Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Think Tony and Barber maybe thinking they've made a mistake..........

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
I would be delighted if we could get Barnes back.

I thought your original post was spot on, DFP. But I'm a bit bamboozled by the Barnes sentiments. Barnes's Albion strike-rate was around 1 in 3.4 matches during his Championship tenure. A very accomplished support player but nothing like the hot-shot so often touted by fans on this forum.

swervy_123

Dec 2, 2009
brighton
Can't believe you lot keep going on about a striker when it is obvious the team is hardly making any chances for someone in that position probably one or two chances a game, all our other effort's are mostly from defenders ,imagine if dunk hadn't scored any goals we would probably be bottom of the table .Its the same pattern every year ,inexperienced managers who think their way of playing is all that matters even if results tell them otherwise .They tell the media and all that will listen my way is the best and get in so deep playing one way they can't change it because they will look a failure.I no some of you are going to say but we got to the playoffs two years running but arguably poyets team should have been automatically been promoted and last season we were so lucky it seemed at the time no one wanted to be in the playoffs .Our club has grown so big so quickly into a multi million pound company and the least experienced person at the club is the manager that can't be right.

Barry M

Jan 21, 2011
You can't blame the manager if he hasn't got a striker who knows where the net is! We create so many chances each game so I'd say he's doing a good job up to that point!

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I thought your original post was spot on, DFP. But I'm a bit bamboozled by the Barnes sentiments. Barnes's Albion strike-rate was around 1 in 3.4 matches during his Championship tenure. A very accomplished support player but nothing like the hot-shot so often touted by fans on this forum.

I'm not necessarily of the belief that he's a hot shot striker, but I believe he had a decent goal return considering he was often deployed as a wide man/midfielder/support striker etc. I think he would offer a decent return considering how much attacking football we are playing under Sami.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Can't believe you lot keep going on about a striker when it is obvious the team is hardly making any chances for someone in that position probably one or two chances a game, all our other effort's are mostly from defenders ,imagine if dunk hadn't scored any goals we would probably be bottom of the table .Its the same pattern every year ,inexperienced managers who think their way of playing is all that matters even if results tell them otherwise .They tell the media and all that will listen my way is the best and get in so deep playing one way they can't change it because they will look a failure.I no some of you are going to say but we got to the playoffs two years running but arguably poyets team should have been automatically been promoted and last season we were so lucky it seemed at the time no one wanted to be in the playoffs .Our club has grown so big so quickly into a multi million pound company and the least experienced person at the club is the manager that can't be right.

You can't blame the manager if he hasn't got a striker who knows where the net is! We create so many chances each game so I'd say he's doing a good job up to that point!

???

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Well, I suspect your beloved Sam B will get his chance soon enough, with CMS out, and Barber's wallet showing no sign of opening any wider than a gnat's chuff. We'll see. Personally, my expectations are pretty low for Sam B: Personally, I would loan a proven Championship-level striker now.

Like who? You seem to know everything.........

I'm expecting a reply with all currently available strikers who you think would be good enough to play for us............

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
I think the only mistake at the moment is not securing the services of a decent goal scorer. Too many games we are not punishing the opposition, we've got a decent defence, decent midfield but sod all in terms of a goal threat. I really do believe a solid striker would see us shoot up the table.
100% this. Don't panic.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
I'm not sure the price offered was the only factor. If we had turned them down flat would Leo have got on with his game knowing that a fat juicy contract had gone begging. Think it was more the player wanting to go than us selling him for £8m

I think this is it. We had no choice. If it simply a case of £8 million TB would have kept him but the player wanted to go and has shown that he has worth in the Premiership already.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
If we'd stretched to Glen Murray's 20k a week wages offset by our HUGE transfer income we'd be on the play off places right now. Our incoming striker additions have been piss poor and nowhere near adequate to replace Leo.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
On the plus side, if the current league position persists until xmas and the pretendences keep dropping off, it might just re-focus Bloom & Barber's minds back on to the only thing that matters for a football club so far as the 'customer' is concerned - the playing side of things. Then do the needful in the January transfer market. Especially in the striker dept. Spend some damn money!

"Then do the needful" This is not English but has come from India. We see this constantly from Indian customers who have invented this word.Are you from India?

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
If we'd stretched to Glen Murray's 20k a week wages offset by our HUGE transfer income we'd be on the play off places right now. Our incoming striker additions have been piss poor and nowhere near adequate to replace Leo.

However there's no guarantee that he would have scored any goals though is there, as nothing is every guaranteed! Imagine if he did come here and hadn't scored yet like Baldock, how much stick would the club be getting for signing a "has been" striker, "we should never go back", "he's too slow" etc etc

Anyway maybe Sami needs to look at this from another angle, maybe the "fine margins" is in fact the need to get a coach in for the strikers?
Maybe they can help our strikers build their confidence or give them advice etc.

Sep 30, 2006
Up in the Gods
So what is the overriding view? Poor manager or no clinical striker?

Need better strikers.

18 months with Ulloa but limited chances. Sell him just as we change the system to create loads. Ironic.

Where's the money from Ulloa & Buckley? TB said he didn't need to sell Ulloa, so is it unreasonable to expect 50% reinvestment in his replacement? Vossen was available for example?

Enjoying our attacking style but frustrated to see lack of striker quality knowing the transfer money we got & massive crowds for last few seasons.

20% win rate & 11 points from 11 games is relegation form. TB needs to back Sami or the crowd will soon be on TBs case for a striker.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

We were not lucky last season we just punched above our weight while half the team was out injured which put us in the position to sneek into the play offs.

I can remember two very very clear chances a decent striker would have buried today, the cross in the second half that fell to Gardiner on the six year box which he missed the tap in and the cross towards the end, there were also numerous times that a decent ball went into the box but there was nobody there. We have played very well IMO the last three games and got draws against a premier league relegated team and two top three teams and had we had a decent striker we would have easily one the last two games and a decent cross would have won the Forest game.

I am enjoying our football more this season than last, its more direct, even though we are playing it around the back as much and all that is missing at the moment is goals.

As fans we must back the manager, we have to have stability, maybe we won't get promoted this year but a few tweeks will make us a very good team next year.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think Baldock and CMS upfront would be better, hopefully both fit for the next game.

I have been saying this for ages. Just to allow people tyo slate me as is a popular hobby how about a short term deal for Emile Heskey hre knows the manager and how to put the ball in the net and would offer more than COG does. I am not a keen Chris Woods man but if Wolves dont get him on loan he would be an improvement on the cheap inferior players we have bought in to replace those we have sold.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here