Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pulis...would you take him now?

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Normally I agree with a lot of your posts, but how on earth does a manager that hasn't won in the last 8 games deserve longer?!

Lets be honest, if Hyypia wasn't a footballing name and we had someone like Adams in charge then everyone would be calling for him to go. We know now Hyypia isn't the right man.

He only got to hang around at Leverkuesen so long because of his name. Taking them on the worst losing run in their history was enough turd polishing for the Huns. I think he's an honourable sort and will fall on his sword if we don't turn it around in the next 3 or 4.

porkypie

On the road to no where
Oct 31, 2009
Button Moon
Yes i would take pulis now. But we can not afford his wages. Hence why we keep going for the cheaper unproven option.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Pulis would never sign for a championship team, some of you must be mad to even think it.
The next PL managerial vacancy, he will be odds on to get it.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Same reason he was interested in Palarse - a wage packet, you don't think he picked you for your fans or facilities do you?

Every manager wants a decent wage packet , pulis more than most . I'd be very very surprised if tone stumps up the money it would be shit or bust IMO . In saying that he's never been relegated as a manager so he could be the one :thumbsup:

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Pulis would never sign for a championship team, some of you must be mad to even think it.
The next PL managerial vacancy, he will be odds on to get it.

This isn't a dig at you but...

When Pulis took you on he must have planned for the possibility of managing you in the Championship despite his never been relegated record. Lets face it you looked doomed, so Pulis will take a championship club because whilst his style of play is pretty dire to watch he plays football to win and grinds out results - its not hoofball as some idiots claim its more defend defend, defend,defend hit them on the break or set piece and defend again. If Pulis was given money he'd be an English version of Mourinio.

Pulis's problem is that unless you are desperate to not lose points very few clubs will take him on because that style of play is so bad to watch unless you have class attackers (like Chelsea) that get the results that cover up the style and make the fans happy because they move up the table.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne

When Pulis took you on he must have planned for the possibility of managing you in the Championship despite his never been relegated record. Lets face it you looked doomed, so Pulis will take a championship club because whilst his style of play is pretty dire to watch he plays football to win and grinds out results - its not hoofball as some idiots claim its more defend defend, defend,defend hit them on the break or set piece and defend again. If Pulis was given money he'd be an English version of Mourinio.

Pulis's problem is that unless you are desperate to not lose points very few clubs will take him on because that style of play is so bad to watch unless you have class attackers (like Chelsea) that get the results that cover up the style and make the fans happy because they move up the table.
Sounds familiar with a manager we had last season.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Hypothetical question because we've got a manager - but.......I was delighted when we signed the former Liverpool star and former Bayer Leverkusen manager. I thought he could be brilliant, especially as he clearly wanted to move the ball into the opponent's half more often and more quickly than OG. I wanted him to succeed - I still do. However, it's looking very depressing at the moment - not so much transition as deterioration. I'm getting to the stage where I think if we don't get six points from the next two matches, he'll have to go.

In which case, yes to Pulis (although I'd be a bit concerned about the exact reasons he left CP - was it lack of funds (in which case he wouldn't come here either) or was it that he wanted to control the recruitment of players - in which case I'd want him here like a shot, and on his own terms! His teams don't play hoofball, either - it may be direct, and not always pretty, but hoofball doesn't win matches. He does!

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
The Sun reporting today that Sami won't walk way. That's him gone then if the curse of the red tops is still in place.

eaglejez

Apr 23, 2004

From his point of view it was a win win short term situation ie big bonus if we stay up (alleged 1m) and no one would blame him if he failed. We had the Prem money to chuck away whereas you haven't got the funds he requires.

As for the style of play - that's just a lazy myth. I don't remember flowing football under Holloway or Freedman (ok...30 mins away at Peterborough !!). By the end of the season a combination of good organisation, players in form and confidence meant we were literally swaggering in our last few matches. Didn't see any Palace fans moaning then. He would be an amazing signing for you but as other said can't see it happening.

But Dougie is available !! He's just about wiped out a good chunk of his legend status with us. He might as well get rid of the last bit and get you promoted :)

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Hypothetical question because we've got a manager - but.......I was delighted when we signed the former Liverpool star and former Bayer Leverkusen manager. I thought he could be brilliant, especially as he clearly wanted to move the ball into the opponent's half more often and more quickly than OG. I wanted him to succeed - I still do. However, it's looking very depressing at the moment - not so much transition as deterioration. I'm getting to the stage where I think if we don't get six points from the next two matches, he'll have to go.

In which case, yes to Pulis (although I'd be a bit concerned about the exact reasons he left CP - was it lack of funds (in which case he wouldn't come here either) or was it that he wanted to control the recruitment of players - in which case I'd want him here like a shot, and on his own terms! His teams don't play hoofball, either - it may be direct, and not always pretty, but hoofball doesn't win matches. He does!

We are not in a relegation battle (yet - we would be if it was Dec) - I'm not sure Pulis is the right man but who is when you are in this position. We either act now and get someone who will move us up or stick with Sami and hope he can turn things around. There's the thing about Pulis he might be interested in a club near promotion or facing relegation from the Prem but in Jan facing relegation to Div 1 ???

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
Every manager wants a decent wage packet , pulis more than most . I'd be very very surprised if tone stumps up the money it would be shit or bust IMO . In saying that he's never been relegated as a manager so he could be the one :thumbsup:

Not saying we should get him but why sht or bust I hate to admit it but he did do a good job for you even it was at a cost. surprised you lot let him go.

Return of the Makh

May 11, 2014
Absolutely hilarious reading this. Tony Pulis would never join you in your current state, he has far bigger fish to fry than little old Brighton and Hove Albion. He'll end up at Newcastle, Sunderland or QPR by December latest, wait and see. The main reason he left (Premiership) Palace was because we wouldn't give him full control on transfers and he wanted to spend well over our allocated budget. You lot are in a Championship relegation battle, don't have a pot to pee in and everyone knows it's Burke/Barber who are the men who get the players in, not the manager. Why on earth would you seriously think he would come to you?? Deluded beyond belief.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
From his point of view it was a win win short term situation ie big bonus if we stay up (alleged 1m) and no one would blame him if he failed. We had the Prem money to chuck away whereas you haven't got the funds he requires.

As for the style of play - that's just a lazy myth. I don't remember flowing football under Holloway or Freedman (ok...30 mins away at Peterborough !!). By the end of the season a combination of good organisation, players in form and confidence meant we were literally swaggering in our last few matches. Didn't see any Palace fans moaning then. He would be an amazing signing for you but as other said can't see it happening.

But Dougie is available !! He's just about wiped out a good chunk of his legend status with us. He might as well get rid of the last bit and get you promoted :)

The style of play under Pulis was different gravy. He got that team of utter dross performing miracles. The 3-3 against Liverpool was one of the best PL games last season.

I also agree he wouldn't come to Brighton unless we were prepared to fuck FFP right out of the window. It's an interesting debate nonetheless.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
Absolutely hilarious reading this. Tony Pulis would never join you in your current state, he has far bigger fish to fry than little old Brighton and Hove Albion. He'll end up at Newcastle, Sunderland or QPR by December latest, wait and see. The main reason he left (Premiership) Palace was because we wouldn't give him full control on transfers and he wanted to spend well over our allocated budget. You lot are in a Championship relegation battle, don't have a pot to pee in and everyone knows it's Burke/Barber who are the men who get the players in, not the manager. Why on earth would you seriously think he would come to you?? Deluded beyond belief.

lol .. that why he left palarse you idiot.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here