Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Barber's Deadline Day Disappointment

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Those were replies to different posts and different contexts!

GT49ER seems to think that we cannot agree contracts unilaterally, that amazes me, as other clubs appear to eventually get over the line.

You do know what unilaterally means, don't you?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Genuine question... is our anti-agent stance, or the way we deal / treat them something to do with it? From memory we've always been quite strict about the way we deal with and pay agents. You'd expect between September and January agents would be out there trying to sort deals for players, but without being more pro-active and playing the game a bit more that makes it very difficult.

Probably. There are likely to be certain agents we won't work with / who won't work with us because of it.

Gazz15

May 13, 2014
Newhaven
You do know what unilaterally means, don't you?

undertaken or done by or on behalf of one side, party, or faction only; not mutual: a unilateral decision; unilateral disarmament

We are as capable of agreeing contracts unilaterally or non unilaterally as the next club. You appear to have some doubts as to our negotiating abilities too?

I just cannot for the life of me see how Barber has failed in 7.5 months to fill a position that will likely determine our near term future? If TB is behind that fine, if not Barber should get his P45 should we go down.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I'm not sure why you think we cannot get any deals done, as most clubs do at some point even with knock backs along the way?

We got lots of deals done in the summer - none of them were unilaterally.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
undertaken or done by or on behalf of one side, party, or faction only; not mutual: a unilateral decision; unilateral disarmament

We are as capable of agreeing contracts unilaterally or non unilaterally as the next club. You appear to have some doubts as to our negotiating abilities too?

I just cannot for the life of me see how Barber has failed in 7.5 months to fill a position that will likely determine our near term future? If TB is behind that fine, if not Barber should get his P45 should we go down.

And thus you reveal your stupidity ..... closely backup by your last line.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

If one is doing something unilaterally there are no negotiations..... You seem to be proposing kidnap which may or may not be against Premier League rules. I will check.

Renegade

Nov 24, 2017
I would hope you would have learnt something from your reliance on last day deadline failings last summer.

Stirkers will see us in more danger of relegation now than they would have last summer, 15 games to go and a horrendous April/May list of fixtures.

We reached 8th momentarily, but the reality is our position has been going backwards ever since despite the players efforts.

16th puts a rather different gloss on things.

I think Brighton would have learnt alot however how do you suggest they force a player to sign or a team to sell?
Send the boys round and threaten a beating?

Gazz15

May 13, 2014
Newhaven
I think Brighton would have learnt alot however how do you suggest they force a player to sign or a team to sell?
Send the boys round and threaten a beating?

We cannot now it is too late, but after 7.5 months in which to negotiate a transfer of a striker of quality, we failed - FACT!

We are now reliant upon some miracle agreement that has been kept under wraps all this time, but I wont be holding my breath.

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
If every other team at the bottom of the Premier had signed a new striker by now, or had much better strikers than we do -then the argument of “everyone else can do it, why can’t we” might be valid - but they haven’t have they?

Swansea - Abraham hasn’t set the world alight, and they haven’t brought anyone in yet.

West Brom - Rondon? Rodriguez? No signings?

Stoke - Chupa Moting? No signing

Southampton - Austin injured, Gabbiadini out of form - 75m burning hole in their pocket, no striker signing?

Newcastle - Mitrovic? Gayle? No signing?

Huddersfield - Mounie? Great starting game, nothing since - no striker signing? You could argue here that they have brought in Pritchard to add to their attack, but he isn’t a striker.

Bournemouth - Wilson? Defoe injured - No striker signing

...all of the above (and I could go on, Palace playing Zaha up front because Benteke isn’t firing for example) they all don’t have very good strikers (or those strikers are injured long term, or way out of form) all those strikers have scored less than our 34 yr old geriatric and none of the teams have brought in a new striker better than what they have.

Hell even Southampton with a stupid amount of money to spend, who must be scared stiff of going down right now haven’t bought a new striker.

Why is that? Because it’s 18th January and there’s still a long way to go, and most of those teams mentioned will buy at least one striker before 31st.

It is right to be concerned that what happened in the summer could happen again, but to say we should have done something sooner this window is not realistic - as fans we have to sit and wait and hope, knowing that despite what some people think, they really are doing their upmost to sort this out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

We can agree contracts unilaterally? You are living in cloud cuckoo land!

Brighton and Hove Albion: "Hello XXX United, Brighton and Hove Albion here. We want to buy your striker Carlos Kickaball for £15M".
XXX United: "No, we're not interested".
Brighton and Hove Albion: "Sorry, but we've agreed it unilaterally - you don't have a say. We'll come and collect him tomorrow"

......or alternatively:

Brighton and Hove Albion: Hello Carlos Kickaball, Brighton and Hove Albion here. We'd like you to sign a contract to come and play for us for £45K per week".
Carlos Kickaball (through his agent, probably): "Not on your life. I'm Billy Big-Bollocks and I want Champions League football - I'm not coming to a little club like you".
Brighton and Hove Albion: "Sorry Carlos, we've already decided you're coming. We've signed the contract unilaterally, so get your cases packed and get your arse down here pronto, sunshine".

Absolutely amazing that our recruitment team hasn't thought of doing that way, eh?

Gazz15

May 13, 2014
Newhaven
Gazz15

No it's not that easy I am paraphrasing, and as you said it is not my money!

However, you have just been promoted to the top flight after 6 years of trying, the failure to get any striker of note in the summer, or lined up in the 2nd window ie January is just ridiculous, resting your hopes on a 34 year old and a Championship standard striker.

-------
As I said I was paraphrasing, I clearly laid out the albeit difficult steps to negotiate a transfer successfully without mentioning unilateral agreements of any kind. That stands to reason that all parties must be in agreement OR obviously no transfer will take place. Why people try to score cheap points is a mystery, but I have seen it all before on another major football forum.

The reality is, after 7.5 months we have failed TO-DATE (ok so we may have a miracle lined up on the next 13 days) to bring in a striker, we have slipped from a fantastic 8th place to 16th place, the alarm bells are ringing loud that even the ostrich community should be hearing some noise or vibrations by now.

Gazz15

May 13, 2014
Newhaven
We can agree contracts unilaterally? You are living in cloud cuckoo land!

Brighton and Hove Albion: "Hello XXX United, Brighton and Hove Albion here. We want to buy your striker Carlos Kickaball for £15M".
XXX United: "No, we're not interested".
Brighton and Hove Albion: "Sorry, but we've agreed it unilaterally - you don't have a say. We'll come and collect him tomorrow"

......or alternatively:

Brighton and Hove Albion: Hello Carlos Kickaball, Brighton and Hove Albion here. We'd like you to sign a contract to come and play for us for £45K per week".
Carlos Kickaball (through his agent, probably): "Not on your life. I'm Billy Big-Bollocks and I want Champions League football - I'm not coming to a little club like you".
Brighton and Hove Albion: "Sorry Carlos, we've already decided you're coming. We've signed the contract unilaterally, so get your cases packed and get your arse down here pronto, sunshine".

Absolutely amazing that our recruitment team hasn't thought of doing that way, eh?

WHO 1st used the word unliateral to make some petty point - it sure as hell wasn't me!

Oh hang on.....

Today, 13:03 #150
Members
GT49er's Avatar Join Date
Feb 2009

2 Thumbs Up!
Quote Originally Posted by Gazz15 View Post
.... and it gets done!
Yes, IF the other party agrees; if the other club, /player/player's agent/player's WAG don't agree, it does not get done. I'm not quite sure why you appear to have difficulty uderstanding that. It's really quite simple - we can't agree contracts unilaterally (neither can anybody else).

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
GT49ER seems to think that we cannot agree contracts unilaterally

I was not the one to use the word unilateral, I was even asked if I knew what it meant LOL

NO, I was saying that clubs get deals done, another idiot started talking about unilateralism - gawd knows why?

The idiot that started talking about unilateralism was ...... YOU ( evidence above ). You clearly have a very short memory.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
THAT post was after his above post nos 138 & 150 when he brought up unilateralism I believe! My post was 151

Get your facts right!

In respect to unilateralism being possible was you. You even stated that you were amazed that GT49er thought unilateralism wasn't possible. You're one very confused individual.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here