Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Skalak off?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
One of the most memorable Amex goals.
I remember thinking he's not going to shoot from there is he?

I like him a lot, but accept his future is not with us (if we are going to stay in the Prem)

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Like his attitude and his overall contribution, but I genuinely can't remember seeing him get the ball past an opposition full back. Always goes inside or plays the ball backwards.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Ahannach to take his squad place? Even though I haven't heard of him pulling up many trees for the U23's. Surely another wide player coming in as well as a striker?
Bjordal has been popping in goals... not seen him play, but he must get a bench chance at least, considering our paucity of goals.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Hughton has given no indication that Skalak is leaving or he wants him to leave. The Argus reported him saying on Monday...
"centre-halves we have got good numbers, good numbers in the full-backs and wide players"

and said earlier this month
"Hughton says Jiri Skalak is unlikley to be leaving this month now, with Jamie Murphy on the brink of joining Glasgow Rangers."
http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/15809692.Albion_defender_Goldson_lined_up_for_loan_exit/

Things change and he was talking up Murphy days before his exit. And perhaps a winger target suddenly becomes available. But he normally signals whether players are likely to be going out on loan deals during windows (ie: Connor Goldson). So this is pretty unlikely whatever he's doing on Instagram.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I like Jiri, and given the lack of performances recently from March and Knockaert, I think he should be given a chance to play on the right wing. He has to start at Middlesbrough and be given a real chance to show what he can do.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I like Jiri, and given the lack of performances recently from March and Knockaert, I think he should be given a chance to play on the right wing. He has to start at Middlesbrough and be given a real chance to show what he can do.

Both times i have seen him play this season he has looked off his tits on ket.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Like his attitude and his overall contribution, but I genuinely can't remember seeing him get the ball past an opposition full back. Always goes inside or plays the ball backwards.

Which is probably why he'd be better suited to our team right now than March or Knockaert. Their game is getting the ball past full backs, but they're struggling to do this in the premier league. As such they are cutting inside a lot and playing it backwards. Skalak is arguably better at doing that, and we know he's a got a good cross on him from deep, so may not be a bad shout.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Never been his style, much like David Beckham. Crosses from deep, and bloody good at it too.

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
other than the QPR wonder goal, he had numerous assists - especially in the 5-0 norwich game i think.??

best memory for me will be him scoring the second away at Charlton when we were chasing promotion in 15/16 season and thought we had blown our lead. was a good goal.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
other than the QPR wonder goal, he had numerous assists - especially in the 5-0 norwich game i think.??

best memory for me will be him scoring the second away at Charlton when we were chasing promotion in 15/16 season and thought we had blown our lead. was a good goal.

The cross - from deep - on the run - with his wrong foot - between two Norwich defenders - perfectly onto Murray's head - in that game was the best cross I have ever seen from an Albion player. World class.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

He was the assist leader for whole of the 15/16 season, despite only being at the club from January. I do think people forget how good and effective he was early on. He did admittedly later drop form MASSIVELY.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Will always be remembered for that rocket against QPR, but not much else unfortunately.
I wish him all the best though.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Pre season there was a thread on here about which squad member could be the surprise success in the Premier and who might disappoint.
Quite a few backed mad Jiri with his splendid delivery and doubted AKs ability to leave PL players sat on their arse looking like mugs.
I was optimistic that Skalak would chip in with a few cameos that would nick us some points and that AK would provide half the number of goals and assists as last season.
Oh well.
Davy and Pascal will be class in the Championship.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Which is probably why he'd be better suited to our team right now than March or Knockaert. Their game is getting the ball past full backs, but they're struggling to do this in the premier league. As such they are cutting inside a lot and playing it backwards. Skalak is arguably better at doing that, and we know he's a got a good cross on him from deep, so may not be a bad shout.

Fair point. Wonder if we'll get chance to see this in practice in the Premier League at some point?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I agree, but there's a point when no matter how good they actually were for us, the myth of them being utter turd overtakes all actual facts. Personally, I always quite liked him. A decent, hard-working Championship player who made a good contribution to us over two great seasons. Wish him well as and when he departs.

This.

And I don't actually reckon he is leaving this month anyway.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here