Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Recollections of past games against Cardiff?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
My stand out memory of playing Cardiff was way back in the day and I struggle to even remember who scored (Maybank maybe?) a number of goals in a 5-0 win at the Goldstone. We were 3-0 up at half time and believe and the Cardiff right back was substituted late in the half. Some of these facts could be wrong as it was a long time ago, but it's how I remember it.

There was also the famous Taffy quote along the lines of "The Cardiff juggernaut is coming to town and we are not coming for a poxy point" game when they were our arch rivals as we rose through the divisions under Adams,Taylor and Coppell. I believe we also won that game.

What others?

Last edited:

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Does away count. My worst away fixture back in the days of 'hooliganism' was at Cardiff. Left alone to fend for ourselves post match, the 'run' from ground to train station was horrendous. No police anywhere. Pretty certain it involved a tunnel as well.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
1-0 at Ninian Park in 1976/7 (I think); travelled there on a Seagull Special.

Overhead kick from Mellor who was close to the goal-line on the edge of the six yard box. Looped over the GK into the net, a complete fluke and, from memory, just about our effort on goal throughout.

Hey, that may have been the game (see my post above). Was it as bad for you?

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Being kept in after a humiliating defeat whilst the gleeful P.A operator played us a selection of tunes such as YMCA and "I am what I am" in a gay songbook selection. Hilarious japes from the sheepshaggers.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Just a couple of seasons ago on a weekday evening.

3-1 to us, we were indeed "****ing brilliant" and Marcos Painter got booked for performing the 'swim away' to the home fans :lol:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
My recollection of home games with Cardiff seems to be that they ALWAYS finish 1-1.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Away a couple of seasons ago when they were handing out red scarfs.

My main recollections of the evening (beyond the win) were:-

1) How much red was already being worn.
B) How little the home fans seemed bothered until they were losing.
3) Just how much Malaysian 'stuff' was dotted around the ground.

I did actually count the logos, flags, hoardings etc, around the stands and it was something like 12 Malaysian v 2 Cardiff/Wales.

They had sold their souls long before being 'forced' to wear red.

PHCgull

Gus-ambivalent User
Mar 5, 2009
Not that I witnessed it, but surely one of the high points in this fixture history must have been Robin Friday kicking Lawrenson in the face, getting sent off, then sh*tting in Lawrensons bag and going home while the game was still on...

The man really didnt give a fork

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
If it's possible to have a favourite defeat, then my favourite defeat was a home game against Cardiff in the early to mid 90's. We started off at a blistering pace and went one up inside the first ten minutes or so. We continued being the better side right up until they equalised(with a penalty, I think). Scoring seemed to give them a massive psychological boost as they then steam rollered us for the next hour or so, opening up a five goal lead. Then with the game seemingly won Cardiff eased up and we started getting back into it. Nogan scored twice in the last ten minutes or so to make the final score BHA 3 Cardiff 5. A very entertaining game.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
My recollection of home games with Cardiff seems to be that they ALWAYS finish 1-1.

Funny. I was going to say my main recollection was Ninian Park games which always finished 1-1 and being not overly disappointed that they'd equalised in order to smooth our passage away from Ninian Park.

I've just checked back and we did indeed draw 1-1 there in 2000/01, 2001/02 and 2005/06.

I also recall [MENTION=236]Papa Lazarou[/MENTION] getting a bit mouthy after one game as we made our away across the car park and wishing he'd just shut his great big fat English gob until we were in the car with the doors locked.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Funny. I was going to say my main recollection was Ninian Park games which always finished 1-1 and being not overly disappointed that they'd equalised in order to smooth our passage away from Ninian Park.

I've just checked back and we did indeed draw 1-1 there in 2000/01, 2001/02 and 2005/06.

I also recall [MENTION=236]Papa Lazarou[/MENTION] getting a bit mouthy after one game as we made our away across the car park and wishing he'd just shut his great big fat English gob until we were in the car with the doors locked.

Doesn't sound like me.... was I sober?

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
I remember last years game at the Amex their goalie having a fantastic game against us. Luckily he is out of the team tomorrow.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
I remember a miserable away day at Ninian. Must have been about 9 years ago. We lost 2-0 and I left the ground trying to figure out if we had actually had a shot on goal after the tenth minute by which point Nathan Jones had hit two wide. Awful game and (I think) Mark Mcghees final now I think back

edit: Looking it up now it must have been 12th February 2005. And Mark McGhee didn't leave for some time after that. Funny how bad my memory is at only 27...

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Not that I witnessed it, but surely one of the high points in this fixture history must have been Robin Friday kicking Lawrenson in the face, getting sent off, then sh*tting in Lawrensons bag and going home while the game was still on...

The man really didnt give a fork

I've just been reading up about Robin Friday thanks to you mentioning him, absolutely hilarious some of his stories :)

The Modfather

Dec 13, 2009
Ibiza to the Norfolk Broads
Does away count. My worst away fixture back in the days of 'hooliganism' was at Cardiff. Left alone to fend for ourselves post match, the 'run' from ground to train station was horrendous. No police anywhere. Pretty certain it involved a tunnel as well.
Yep, old bill just left you at the mercy of the Cardiff thugs. Awful place.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Just a couple of seasons ago on a weekday evening.

3-1 to us, we were indeed "****ing brilliant" and Marcos Painter got booked for performing the 'swim away' to the home fans :lol:

Brilliant goals from Barnes & Hoskins.

A good double save from Kuszczak from Bellamy's shot & rebound, the following season to win 2-0.

PHCgull

Gus-ambivalent User
Mar 5, 2009
I've just been reading up about Robin Friday thanks to you mentioning him, absolutely hilarious some of his stories :)

Sounds like you would enjoy "The greatest footballer you never saw" book by the ex oasis drummer.. its hilarious and tragic in fairly equal measure

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here