Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have you renewed your season ticket?

Have you renewed your season ticket?

• Total voters

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
But don't you see the irony? The ONLY time anyone hears the words "Premier League ready" is when someone is moaning about it.

(I'd wager the Argus story is literally the only exception)

I can't say that I read or listen to every article or official communication from the club, but that article is the only place I have ever seen the PLR phrase used (other than on NSC).

An, admittedly quick, Google search seems to back this up.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Except it was an internal mission statement aimed at backroom staff, not a public 'boast' or anything to do with players... :facepalm:
Not to mention written 10 months before Buckley and Ulloa were sold!

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
But that's only because Barber and Co eventually realised this kind of vainglorious boasting was getting them into trouble with fans

Into trouble for what. ?
A modern comfortable ground Premier League standard ground instead of lets say the wooden seats, and barbed wire of a Selhurst or a Den,
A world class training ground / academy worth of the top 6 of the Premier League instead of lets say a Blackpool training on muddy pitches and with portakabins
Extensive progressive grassroots activity in the community, youth football, womens football worthy of the Premier League.
And two seasons out of four in the Championship where we've been 90 mins or so away from the Prem League itself. but hey thats football. Lets see where we are in 15/16.
Are fans really pissed of with this or are they really pragmatic and appreciate the club are in it for the long term and that teams can have one bad season but are proud of the incredible progress of the club in the last 10 years..

At least we can be grateful that in one sense we aren't Premier League Ready. Unlike the imminent changes for our friends up the A23, Albion is still owned by a lifelong fan who supports the club and effectively pays for it unlike the rest of the franchise Prem League.
And had the foresight to hire Paul Barber...

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
There are 82 pages in the programme and you can't ignore just two of them. I don't read the pages for the junior seagulls/gully's gang but that isn't going to stop me buying a programme.
I can tell you don't read the programme - they haven't had 'junior seagulls' since the dark days of Gillingham.

Cullip4

Oct 4, 2003
Brighton
Had a season ticket for donkeys years but just cancelled, now have a baby girl who I struggle to spend quality time with during the week due to work and its become harder and harder to leave her, the Hyppia days really killed by Albion mojo (i missed her crawling for the first time whilst watching us lose to fecking Milwall) and counting up I have now only been to 8 out of the 20 home games :(

I was rightly admonished by Calde over the phone.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
But don't you see the irony? The ONLY time anyone hears the words "Premier League ready" is when someone is moaning about it.

(I'd wager the Argus story is literally the only exception)
It's not really 'ironic', it's a shit bit of corporate bollocks that has bitten them on the bum. And as you say the only time you hear people mention it now is to moan or sneer - which proves how shit it really was, nothing to do with 'irony'. Soon we'll probably be mocking "In It To Win It Together" or whatever the slogan is now. As I said in my previous post, all the while the club come up with these straplines (some) people will laugh at them.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It's not really 'ironic', it's a shit bit of corporate bollocks that has bitten them on the bum. And as you say the only time you hear people mention it now is to moan or sneer - which proves how shit it really was, nothing to do with 'irony'. Soon we'll probably be mocking "In It To Win It Together" or whatever the slogan is now. As I said in my previous post, all the while the club come up with these straplines (some) people will laugh at them.

It's nearly as bad as One Club, One Ambition which was splurged over the windows of the club shop.

Tory Boy

Jun 14, 2004
Brighton
I think many more would carry on with their season ticket commitment if the current level of football wasn't so dam boring and bland.

I will have a season ticket till I drop, but please can we move forward rather than backwards.

TB

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Lots of glory hunters on this thread - not renewing cos the footballs been bad for one year and we've been thoroughly spoilt for 4 years previous. Where were you at Withdean when the club needed you..?. Pathetic.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003

I think even Alanis Morissette could tell you that moaning about something which is only really uttered by moaners is ironic.

Anyway... I don't think anyone is going to cancel their season ticket over an internal motto. Or are they?!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Lots of glory hunters on this thread - not renewing cos the footballs been bad for one year and we've been thoroughly spoilt for 4 years previous. Where were you at Withdean when the club needed you..?. Pathetic.

Now you've done it.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Had a season ticket for donkeys years but just cancelled, now have a baby girl who I struggle to spend quality time with during the week due to work and its become harder and harder to leave her, the Hyppia days really killed by Albion mojo (i missed her crawling for the first time whilst watching us lose to fecking Milwall) and counting up I have now only been to 8 out of the 20 home games :(

I was rightly admonished by Calde over the phone.

Obviously my post above isn't aimed at the likes of this poster with whom I sympathise completely...

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Very tempting not to renew and look out for better seats becoming available. When it came down it we (not me) could not be arsed to swop seats around.

Poor results rather than poor football. It really helped the trains being so good v Wolves. Improved the mood somewhat and the mood is what counts for a lot.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

17,000 of them were doing something else. The question is how many of them are going to revert to doing something else? If the club only lose 10-15% of them I will be absolutely astounded.

Calling them pathetic is not very constructive either. Some people pay to be entertained, they haven't been and the club can't be surprised if they talk with their wallets. We don't all live and breath Albion, well not more than about 6,000.of us do.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Very few newcomers intend to buy season tickets in the empty seats at the front. Many newcomers were disappointed and others were swaps because they could not get better seats for the Wolves game.

I think some seats are over priced and will remain so. East lower and west lower in the wings where the empty seats show.

Last edited:

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
I reckon we will lose a good few thousand season ticket holders

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
17,000 of them were doing something else. The question is how many of them are going to revert to doing something else? If the club only lose 10-15% of them I will be absolutely astounded.

Calling them pathetic is not very constructive either. Some people pay to be entertained, they haven't been and the club can't be surprised if they talk with their wallets. We don't all live and breath Albion, well not more than about 6,000.of us do.

Comments appreciated. It was half tongue in cheek but also half serious. I appreciate there's some floaters - but don't get this mentality personally - especially when it's supporting your local team. It should give you a sense of pride and identity to support them whatever happens on the pitch. Of course I hope as many fans renew as possible...

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

The last 4 home games have been entertaining haven't they?

In fact the last 2 I went to - Reading and Forest - we're very entertaining, even though we won neither!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here