Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Catering tonight

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I suspect people everywhere in the stadium were getting served fine at 7pm due to the vast numbers battling the trains elsewhere.
Very true, but these bi-weekly threads don't usually echo my feelings about food and service in the ESL.

Although I'm not going to spreadsheet the arse out it, I still think I can comfortably say the ESL patrons aren't and never have been, the ones complaining.

Maybe there's something in that.

Number of tills.
Products being bought (less pints)
Staff turnover.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Is it not a bit silly eating in the fortress? The union bar and that van outside Falmer station both do much better food than Piglets and are loads cheaper. Also, lots of good places to get kibble around Brighton station and on the bus route.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Very true, but these bi-weekly threads don't usually echo my feelings about food and service in the ESL.

Although I'm not going to spreadsheet the arse out it, I still think I can comfortably say the ESL patrons aren't and never have been, the ones complaining.

Maybe there's something in that.

Number of tills.
Products being bought (less pints)
Staff turnover.

Well as long as you are alright thats ok then!

Jul 7, 2003
Sausage rolls were very good. Not sure £4.10 worth but one of the best things I've eaten up inside the AMEX.

Agree that they were very good - even better when the girl in the kiosk selected sausage roll on the till and it charged me £2 rather than the advertised £4.10! They are also very filling as they have a very high meat content.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Sausage roll complaint. The things you find on youtube....:lolol:

[yt]QMjMOPDebyg[/yt]

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well as long as you are alright thats ok then!
Or just maybe what I'm saying is:-

If the ESL is working shouldn't the club find out why and replicate that around the stadium.

Jeeez.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Amex staffer told someone on a train into Brighton that his start time was 6.30.
Notwithstanding that at 6.15 he was going to be massively late with 1,000 in queue ahead this is symptomatic of the catering issues. How is someone going to be set up & prepared/trained by supervisory staff when the bar queues are already growing? Saying a fiver on half an hours time maybe lost 20 pints (£40 profit?)
In Vegas they always have a croupier at an EMPTY table, just do you can walk up and SPEND money.
Opportunity Cost guru out there, please contact the Amex

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Amex staffer told someone on a train into Brighton that his start time was 6.30.
Notwithstanding that at 6.15 he was going to be massively late with 1,000 in queue ahead this is symptomatic of the catering issues. How is someone going to be set up & prepared/trained by supervisory staff when the bar queues are already growing? Saying a fiver on half an hours time maybe lost 20 pints (£40 profit?)
In Vegas they always have a croupier at an EMPTY table, just do you can walk up and SPEND money.
Opportunity Cost guru out there, please contact the Amex

To be fair you can't really compare something that is open 24 hours 365 days a year with something that is open for 4 hours 23 times a year, but I get what you are saying.

Sompting_Seagull

Jun 8, 2011
North Stand
Can I just throw my two pence worth in and say the catering in the ESL was shite. Massive queues at half time, sour milk in one tea, god knows what was in the cheeseburger as a relish. Rabbit in the headlights staff, however they didn't charge me for the hot dog and diet coke, so a result for me, but not for the clubs coffers.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
Piglets seem to have largely gone down the swannie, quality wise. Yes I appreciate that the Sodexo (?sp) staff have zero idea how to treat them, but they aren't removing pretty much all the steak out of the steak and ale pie. Fill levels are suspect at best.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
Is it not a bit silly eating in the fortress? The union bar and that van outside Falmer station both do much better food than Piglets and are loads cheaper. Also, lots of good places to get kibble around Brighton station and on the bus route.

You are of course correct, me old mucker, but for an evening game when you have to dash, only to find the ample time you left yourself is eaten away by the nuggets at Southern, inside the ground was my only option. I think I shall prepare myself a nice packed dinner in the future!

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
As usual the ESL is the place to be.

Chicken and Chorizo was larva encased in pastry.
Good chunks of both main ingredient, and nicely spiced.

Still not a patch on Chicken and Ham or it's nearer comparison the Balti.

The steak and ale was apparently 'good'.

Served within 2 minutes of our 7pm arrival.
I didn't leave my seat at HT.

Disagree. I was in ESL and my food was totally unacceptable. See my earlier posts on this thread.

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
i am sure someone from piglets posts on here, but decision to do away with chicken and ham is strange - i don't believe they think they will sell more chicken and chorizo which is poor in comparison.

the cheese pasty was woeful. it felt like it had been reheated so many times that the pastry was like cardboard but reinforced. the filling was just indescribable. i missed the postage stamp size adverts for the sausage roll which i would have tried instead, despite its ridiculous price.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

This is very true.

Until Friday evening, I'd not experienced most of the horror shows that get reported every other week.

However, there have been times when the service has been shockingly slow and many items not available. I've never had the wrong pie or beer, though and generally the quality has been very good. Until Friday!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Disagree. I was in ESL and my food was totally unacceptable. See my earlier posts on this thread.

Didn't notice much in the way of chorizo in the chicken and chorizo pie and thought it was too dry. Was still hungry so had a pasty and it was disgusting.

Bad heartburn on the way home.

Won't be bothering with either of those options next time.

At least the Harvey's was good.

I apologise if I've missed another post but shirley this is just a matter of your taste.

I could spin this as in the ESL you were served twice, got exactly what you asked for both times, and had a nice pint.
The fact that you didn't like it, isn't really the problem.

Scan reading this thread the complaints are 'long unmoving queues', 'sold out', 'poorly staffed', 'bad technology'.
You make no reference to any of those in the ESL.

Edit - We appear to be on the same wavelength this morning.
I feel sorry for you :smile:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here