Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Strange .... I can't see any remainers finding a negative on BMW confirming they will make the electric Mini ..... HERE .... in the UK of all places .... and after we've left. So a big German company investing in the UK.

Great news, esp as the employer is on my doorstep.

The EU will be doing their sums what it will cost the UK if their is tariff at Dover.

Being in the EU costs a penny in the pound, it will be interesting to see if we're under a penny at the end of all this

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade

The EU will be doing their sums what it will cost the UK if their is tariff at Dover.

Being in the EU costs a penny in the pound, it will be interesting to see if we're under a penny at the end of all this

Rather that penny went towards the NHS,Police and fire service etc,etc

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
...and the possible wrongdoing is being investigated by... the European Commission.

Better late than never.

More good news ... Easy Jet recruiting 1200 new staff (which is odd as I remember peeps on here suggesting all air traffic to the EU might cease after Brexit)

Amazon expanding its UK headquarters (450 new staff)

Production among UK manufacturers grew at the fastest pace for 22 years and is expected to continue to rise. A weaker pound not all bad news then.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009

The position for this BMW plant in Oxford being outside the EU, should not be any different in tariffs from the Ford plant built in Turkey with loans from the EU's investment bank. I say different, who knows what goes through the minds of the EU, it's not like they care about EU workers is it?

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/100...oan_to_boost_Turkey_factory___and_close_ours/

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Better late than never.

More good news ... Easy Jet recruiting 1200 new staff (which is odd as I remember peeps on here suggesting all air traffic to the EU might cease after Brexit) .

That'll be the case unless some deal gets worked out soon. easyJet have established an Austrian AOC to ensure they can continue to fly intra-EU flights post-Brexit, but that does nothing to avoid the cessation of flights between the UK and the EU. And it's fairly likely the Austrian AOC will be challenged in the courts, as overall management will still reside in the UK. The problem with doing a deal on aviation is that the EU has already said that it doesn't want to do piecemeal deals. As soon as we triggered Article 50 we gave the rest of the EU a huge bargaining chip - which is aviation. If we don't capitulate, the EU can simply cease all flights between the UK and the EU. Great tactics, Theresa!

PS: Most of the new jobs are to deal with natural wastage and existing shortages - they are not NEW new jobs....

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West

Given that most experts believe that leaving the EU means GDP around 5% lower, being out of the EU costs five pence in the pound.....

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
That'll be the case unless some deal gets worked out soon. easyJet have established an Austrian AOC to ensure they can continue to fly intra-EU flights post-Brexit, but that does nothing to avoid the cessation of flights between the UK and the EU. And it's fairly likely the Austrian AOC will be challenged in the courts, as overall management will still reside in the UK. The problem with doing a deal on aviation is that the EU has already said that it doesn't want to do piecemeal deals. As soon as we triggered Article 50 we gave the rest of the EU a huge bargaining chip - which is aviation. If we don't capitulate, the EU can simply cease all flights between the UK and the EU. Great tactics, Theresa!

and pray what happens to all the European commerce and business that rely on those flights into europe? what of the European transatlantic routes that traverse UK airspace, they just going to mak massivly expensive detours?

i do love how some remainers think that the EU will just throw up a drawbridge and adovate that such a organisation would be something you should be a member of.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
i do love how some remainers think that the EU will just throw up a drawbridge and adovate that such a organisation would be something you should be a member of.

Think of it like Tescos Club card points. In reality you give them money on an ongoing basis, they make a profit out of you. But there are some benefits, great choice, special offers, good prices and the bonus prizes of Clubcard exclusives like converting a fivers worth of points into £20 of restaurant vouchers. Winner! Now you change your mind and shop at Aldi. Sure its got great prices, but far less choice. Special offers? Well, on unknown brands that you have never heard of. And as for the really juicy benefits like money off your shopping through points, or many, many FREE meals out via the Club card deal?

'Well............you are not shopping with us anymore are you sir, not putting a bit in our coffers and earning a bit the other way too? You see, it is a bit like being in a club sir, you pay in but you get membership deals and offers...........now we cannot offer these to non members can we sir? Kind of undermines the reason to pay membership fees now doesn't it sir? Goodbye.'

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Given that most experts believe that leaving the EU means GDP around 5% lower, being out of the EU costs five pence in the pound.....

God knows what bobs around in your head, which expert has said the UK's GDP would reduce by 5% and even if it did what kind of formula makes that something like five pence in the pound, how exactly do you transfer a decrease in the nations GDP to some odd interpretation to '5p in the pound' whatever that means.

Dont you dare re-start your negative forecasting, shifting your doom and gloom forecast upstream, take a look at this bullsh1t, no recession, historically low unemployment, record high markets, no retail shock, it was hideous propoganda and is discredited forecasting, so dont go telling us your latest set of forecasts, you're a dead duck.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/jun/15/brexit-damage-uk-economy-eiu-vote-eu-recession

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Think of it like Tescos Club card points....

and i wouldnt expect to get Tesco loyalty card points and bonuses if shoping at Aldi or elsewhere. but i can shop elsewhere and still shop in Tescos, its not an exclusive shop that prohibits non Club Card members. today we buy goods from Kenya, US, China from with in the EU; aircraft from Canada, UAE and Australia fly across EU. they arent going to immediatly withdraw all trade and flying privilges as our man Jim in the West seems to think.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
F**k me. Just how do the 169 countries outside the EU cope?

The countries outside the EU already have things in place. The UK has the same things in place as being part of the EU, but are going to effectively throw these out and have to start all over again and will need to have all these in place by April 2019.

The article only covers a few areas, there are loads more that will impact on your daily life once we are out.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
and i wouldnt expect to get Tesco loyalty card points and bonuses if shoping at Aldi or elsewhere. but i can shop elsewhere and still shop in Tescos, its not an exclusive shop that prohibits non Club Card members. today we buy goods from Kenya, US, China from with in the EU; aircraft from Canada, UAE and Australia fly across EU. they arent going to immediatly withdraw all trade and flying privilges as our man Jim in the West seems to think.

But we are buying these goods under EU deals not UK deals. We are likely to be shopping in Aldi but at Waitrose prices due to tariffs being imposed.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

But the UK will have stopped paying them any money (them as one big collective) and so the membership benefits are withdrawn. It really is very, very simple........you cannot have your cake and eat it.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

No, really, that is exactly what IS possible. Why should other member states (Germany, Italy, France etc) keep paying into EU coffers whilst we get the same major benefits without paying? Don't get all statistics and numbers and graphs about it, just look at the principle of it all. The Brexit without pain argument really does not stack up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here