Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Guess the Ref...

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
So a player can theoretically score a goal, take his shirt off, jump into the crowd, leap around for 10 minutes while being mobbed by the fans who spill on to the pitch causing security issues and no action should be taken? Nonsense.

So a player can kick the star player of their opposition off the pitch and get the same punishment (yellow card or 2nd yellow = red) as someone being mobbed by the crowd when they are still standing on the grass surrounding the pitch seconds after scoring a late winner

Sounds fair?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
So a player can kick the star player of their opposition off the pitch and get the same punishment (yellow card or 2nd yellow = red) as someone being mobbed by the crowd when they are still standing on the grass surrounding the pitch seconds after scoring a late winner

Sounds fair?

No. If you are referring to yesterday's challenge it was a straight red - and hopefully an extended ban beyond the normal 3-match ban. Two yellows is only a one-match ban.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Thanks, you've just shown you really don't understand the joy of a winning goal in the 97th minute, 3rd or 35th game. You should have played, you'd have had more idea.

I assume you rather enjoy a sterile match where fans just politely appauld a goal while the scorer just casually wanders back to his own half ? It's football for f**k sake - it's meant to be full of emotion - it's nice to see a player be so excited to pull a match back. And it doesn't matter if it's the 3rd or 33rd match - 3 points are still vital and worth the same. Really can't believe you're defending the bellend Dean !

Ignoring the childish "you don't know football" "you never played" from people who have no idea who I am, what my playing experience is...

That's simply not true (the bolded bit in particular). Last season we won our fourth game of the season (including the cup game). We beat rotherham 3-0. Did it mean as much to the fans as the fourth game from the end of the season? No. Not even close. Because later in the season you have more of a sense of how close you are to success or failure. So there absolutely is context given when in the season a game is played.

If I were a man city fan I'd celebrate the goal and win, of course, but there would be a sense of 'finally! It shouldn't have taken that long' (much like I felt when we finally broke down league two Barnet on Tuesday) and I wouldn't be running on the pitch for any win that early in the season. Not because I don't understand or enjoy football, or because of how many away games I have or have not been to, but because there is context. It's why you're both over on the Maty Ryan thread defending him against people who are writing him off so early against people who are equally reacting emotionally to what they see on the pitch.

I'm not trying to change anyone's mind, just giving my view of it.

As for defending Dean... Chris Kamara loves to criticise referees. Absolutely loves it. He'll change his position on things just to do it (I can vividly remember him slating a couple of referees for giving penalties for handballs one weekend because "it HAS to be deliberate, if it's not deliberate you cannot give it", the following week he criticised a ref for allowing a goal to stand when it went in off a players arm starting "now, I know it's not deliberate, but..."). Even he says The Complete And Utter Shyster was right to book Sterling. I'll criticise a referee if I think he got something wrong. I don't think he got the Sterling booking wrong. Ake on the other hand... got that one completely wrong.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Ignoring the childish "you don't know football" "you never played" from people who have no idea who I am, what my playing experience is...

That's simply not true (the bolded bit in particular). Last season we won our fourth game of the season (including the cup game). We beat rotherham 3-0. Did it mean as much to the fans as the fourth game from the end of the season? No. Not even close. Because later in the season you have more of a sense of how close you are to success or failure. So there absolutely is context given when in the season a game is played.

If I were a man city fan I'd celebrate the goal and win, of course, but there would be a sense of 'finally! It shouldn't have taken that long' (much like I felt when we finally broke down league two Barnet on Tuesday) and I wouldn't be running on the pitch for any win that early in the season. Not because I don't understand or enjoy football, or because of how many away games I have or have not been to, but because there is context. It's why you're both over on the Maty Ryan thread defending him against people who are writing him off so early against people who are equally reacting emotionally to what they see on the pitch.

As for defending Dean... Chris Kamara loves to criticise referees. Absolutely loves it. He'll change his position on things just to do it (I can vividly remember him slating a couple of referees for giving penalties for handballs one weekend because "it HAS to be deliberate, if it's not deliberate you cannot give it", the following week he criticised a ref for allowing a goal to stand when it went in off a players arm starting "now, I know it's not deliberate, but..."). Even he says The Complete And Utter Shyster was right to book Sterling. I'll criticise a referee if I think he got something wrong. I don't think he got the Sterling booking wrong. Ake on the other hand... got that one completely wrong.

Ok. Far more than I'd have expected. Carry on...

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
No. If you are referring to yesterday's challenge it was a straight red - and hopefully an extended ban beyond the normal 3-match ban. Two yellows is only a one-match ban.

I wasn't referring to the Knockaert incident, but to the laws of the game where a (bad) tackle / challenge that can force a player off injured will result in a yellow card as punishment from the officials, the same as Sterling got for Simply celebrating a goal.

How many football fans really think a player should get booked or sent off for celebrating compared to how many who think a bad challenge that could injure another player? Ask them which is more deserving of a punishment from the officials?

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007

Is that the same for a team expected to challenge for the title, in a league where the difference is likely to be the results between the title contenders and therefore any slip up against a lesser team can be crucial in determining the outcome of the league

The pressures Man City have this season and therefore the importance of their results are vastly different to our match vs Barnet, a competition where we aren't expected to win the trophy for one.

As for Dean, he got it right when applying the rules, but the question should be is if that rule should even exist in the first place, what benefit does it bring and is it really something the fans want when compared to other offenses that get punished the same way?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Did Sterling actually dive into the crowd or did he just go over the touchline but the crowd that had encroached surrounded him? Not sure he actually went over any barriers into the seating area.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Did Sterling actually dive into the crowd or did he just go over the touchline but the crowd that had encroached surrounded him? Not sure he actually went over any barriers into the seating area.

Certainly the footage at the time suggests you are right. There were also other City players there already, why weren't they booked as well?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here