Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Absolutely gagging for a striker.....

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
A real shame that it looks as if we are not going to take the Prem seriously.
With respect to all 3 of our forwards, I would have thought that one, if not two of them would not be in our line up against Man City. Oh well let's hope for 0-0 as a best score against City

I think TB and the club are taking the Premier League very seriously but aren't willing to pay ridiculous money now when there might be better value (and therefore more signings for the dosh) later in the window.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
With Steve Foster on the second part of his post (although I think anything less than a 3 goal defeat against City would be a pretty good outcome, regardless of who's up front for us). Desperately limited in attack at the moment. I find it hard to imagine though that we won't sign players - it'll just be later in the window when some who are keen to play PL football lower their demands. It'd seem very odd for Tony Bloom to cut his losses now when PL longevity is the key to getting his money back AND realising his dreams for the club. I think any frustration we're feeling now must be magnified many times over for him and Chris Hughton. Keep the faith!

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
I think TB and the club are taking the Premier League very seriously but aren't willing to pay ridiculous money now when there might be better value (and therefore more signings for the dosh) later in the window.
That's a big gamble..... very big....

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex

Possibly true.

But what is ridiculous money?

£200m for Neymar?

£15m on Assombalonga?

Barber has been in the Premiership before but prices were lower. A small part of me is now thinking the club has been taken aback by the prices quoted. And will only come round when it's too late.

One decent striker signing will change this of course and I think the current squad should be given a chance.

Even so - I can't help thinking a mentality change may be needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Possibly true.

But what is ridiculous money?

£200m for Neymar?

£15m on Assombalonga?

Barber has been in the Premiership before but prices were lower. A small part of me is now thinking the club has been taken aback by the prices quoted. And will only come round when it's too late.

One decent striker signing will change this of course and I think the current squad should be given a chance.

Even so - I can't help thinking a mentality change may be needed.

I also think that even a single 'marquee' signing will help attract other high quality signings to fill the obvious gaps in experience we currently have.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
A real shame that it looks as if we are not going to take the Prem seriously.
With respect to all 3 of our forwards, I would have thought that one, if not two of them would not be in our line up against Man City. Oh well let's hope for 0-0 as a best score against City

It's not the law that goals have to come from a forward. We had plenty of goals from our wide players last season and timely contributions from Stephens, plus Dunk & Duffy offer danger at set pieces. If I was a cultured signing for City, unused to British football, dealing with Duffy at a corner wouldn't be my idea of fun. Of course, we've got to get a corner first :lolol:

But that said City isn't going to be any sort of benchmark. They have the quality to win this division by a street. I don't see us competing with them but I don't see two thirds of the league competing with them either.

Where we need to get points is against Leicester, Watford & Stoke and we have slightly longer to get it right for those games.

That's not to say we don't need a striker. Of course we do. But it's got to be the right player, not just signing anyone to satisfy professional miserablists like [MENTION=350]Zebedee[/MENTION]

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
I don't have time to read the whole of this thread. There is a big sense of deja vue, however it's a really important issue.

No one can doubt that the club have been actively looking for a striker. (They told us they wanted Tammy Abraham) In my opinion Brown is the number 2 new striker and we will rotate behind the nov1 striker aiming to get goals from several positions. Delaney was a player of that type.

We definitely need a new no 1 striker and this has been a repeating theme of the Amex era. The reason is that Tony and the board are cautious and strikers cost a lot of money and can be a big risk. (CH won't forget that Ricky Van Wolfswinkel scored 2 goals for Norwich in about 30 appearances!). We now have more money, but need to spend more to get a good premier league striker rather than a championship striker. Therefore it's not surprising if we are in the same situation as previously, the problem with identifying the right striker is even more difficult.

I'm really hoping someone comes in soon. I would love it to be someone from overseas who no one has mentioned. My worry is that we have a relatively easier start to the season and need to get some early points. Someone coming in at the transfer deadline might need to get fit and used to the team. That could mean a couple of months of the season lost.

However, let's have faith in CH and the board. Better to get relegated in a good financial position (ready to come back up stronger with the parachute payments) than to splash the cash and to be in financial trouble.

I think Murray, Hemed Brown, Gross and March will be good for a few goals each. If Baldock and Knockeart get fit they will too. Therefore in my opinion we just need the one more striker avd Negredo might be fine in that role

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Better to get relegated in a good financial position (ready to come back up stronger with the parachute payments) than to splash the cash and to be in financial trouble.

This is an example of the mixed sentiments that both the club and fans reel off when it suits.

We've had it hammered into us that getting there is massively more difficult than staying there, yet you are suggesting that we are now quite blasé about going down as we'll have the money to bounce back? Many clubs have had that money and not done so, two very clear examples last year.

The Championship is a dogfight that appears to be getting tougher every year due to money trickling down and I wouldn't fancy our chances of ever being the favourites to return. If we fail once, twice.. TB would be back subsidising massive losses again to compete for promotion. Quite a lot rests on us surviving THIS season and I don't think people realise it, if only to give out the impression to future recruits that we can establish ourselves at this level and it extends our potential parachutes for +1 year. That's not even delving into the awful realisation of what players we would lose if relegation did happen.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Newcastle have entered the "race" to sign Lucas Perez of Arsenal. I do hope we are considering this bloke - especially if a new reality is starting to dawn at the club.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
This is an example of the mixed sentiments that both the club and fans reel off when it suits.

We've had it hammered into us that getting there is massively more difficult than staying there, yet you are suggesting that we are now quite blasé about going down as we'll have the money to bounce back? Many clubs have had that money and not done so, two very clear examples last year.

The Championship is a dogfight that appears to be getting tougher every year due to money trickling down and I wouldn't fancy our chances of ever being the favourites to return. If we fail once, twice.. TB would be back subsidising massive losses again to compete for promotion. Quite a lot rests on us surviving THIS season and I don't think people realise it, if only to give out the impression to future recruits that we can establish ourselves at this level and it extends our potential parachutes for +1 year. That's not even delving into the awful realisation of what players we would lose if relegation did happen.

We simply have to do everything possible to survive in the Premier League. The main financial benefits lie in becoming an established Premier League side rather than a yo-yo club. If this means paying silly money for two strikers we should do so. It's not as if we don't have the money now. Pace and strength are the two main traits of good quality players in the Premier League and we don't have too much of either at the moment.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

We'd have the bitter relegation pill of losing Dunk, Stephens, Knockaert, March, and some of the new signings.

With Murray, Bruno and Sidwell at the end of their careers it would be a very tricky season.

Last edited:

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Arsenal confirmed today they want £13.4m for him, which in todays market for a prem striker who will score goals, is a bargain

But maybe he's not what we need?

Conelli98

Dec 18, 2016
As it stands, i will be putting a tenner on us not to score a goal against Man City, and they could realistically get three or four

2-0 home win...ALL DAY LONG! Send them off to Spanish training camp with a flea in their ear and Seagull shite in their eyes! Tabloids get the headlines ready...

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
However, let's have faith in CH and the board. Better to get relegated in a good financial position (ready to come back up stronger with the parachute payments) than to splash the cash and to be in financial trouble.

thing is , we are no longer really able to compete in the championship judging by whats being spent so we will have to spend out somewhen. May as well be now. (this assuming we lose a fair few when we come down / Murray etc a year older)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here