Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

can season ticket holders get compensation ?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Said by those who clearly never read the terms and conditions they signed up to a season ticket

Most people take out a ST before knowing the dates for the fixtures and don't check the match dates / kick off times first before making that decision

You might want to read the T&Cs

Read the terms and conditions before signing up and which are accepted by anyone buying a season ticket

Can't see anyone defending it - just pointing out the reality of it. We KNOW what we're signing up to when we purchase a season ticket (well most of us do). Its tiresome, but there's only one alternative - not renewing.

JUST because its in the T&C's does not mean the club will automatically win a court case. As an extreme hypothetical, if they put in the T&C's "we may decide to kill you", this would not absolve them of murder.

They've moved a third of home fixtures for TV games and I think there is a definite case for compensation considering the sheer volume of games moved not because of weather, or cup games, but for the irrelevance of showing the game on TV, and there may well be courts who think that the club should make some kind of refund - especially because the club is profiting from the move

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade

There is an alternative in that railway companies should allow refunds on travel if cancelled before the date of the trip or, subject to availability, allow travel details to be changed. A combination of your idea and mine could work.

That would also work but then train companies would lose out on money through no fault of their own. I can't see them agreeing to that.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Be proactive then, cancel your Sky packages and encourage your friends to do the same.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I understand all too well the realities of taking Sky's money, but it's getting close to a tipping point where, by not being able to make rearranged games, it's actually very close to being more expensive to hold a season ticket than to pay for the games I can definitely get to. That money's replaced, from the club's point of view, by Sky income all the time we're being picked for TV. But alienate the hard core, and then start to struggle, so the TV games don't come so quickly any more, and where's that income going to come from?

Indeed. I can see where you are coming from, and what's not to say many former season ticket holders are doing just that and possibly many more will follow.

It's a fine line. The club benefit from tv money. The sponsors benefit from tv exposure. The club/us benefit from the availability of season tickets. It's a juggling act which supporters who are affected by the tv coverage will have to individually decide whether a season ticket brings value.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Can foresee ever larger numbers of people lumping it then. SKY might think they own football, but they only own the armchair subscribers, not us colourful yokels who more and more often are only there to make up a colourful backdrop to the live broadcast and who could easily - if they could only bring themselves to do it - tell both SKY and the club to go swivel.

One of the reasons foreigners lap up the EPL is the noisy packed stadiums. If the games were played in front of half-empty grounds their interest would drop like a stone.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
SHAME on anybody defending the T&Cs against the fans who bought tickets in good faith that the published dates and times would be in the main adhered to. Have a word with yourselves.

Fans buying that far in advance are doing so knowing that there is a risk that a game could be moved - they could always wait until closer the time when it's clear that it won't be one of the games moved (ie, when the TV games for that weekend are announced)

It's like buying tickets and making travel plans (buying plane tickets and booking rooms) for the next FIFA World Cup in advance, before all the teams have qualified and the tournament draw has taken place to determine who will play at which venue and on which date in the hope of getting it right and getting to see the team(s) that they want to see

It's higher risk, higher reward but those that do it face the chance that they miss out on what they were after and should accept it as a part of the risk.

Nothing to stop the same fans booking the official supporters coach for away games which means that they won't lose out financially on their travel plan (ie, pre-booked train fare) if the game gets moved

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
You're just a customer and the club will always bow to sky...Win win situation for the club to be fair.
I'd suggest not bothering with a ST and just pick games when you feel like it :)

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Well the two are linked. If we were a premier league club (a) we'd fully expect a lack of 3pm Saturday games and (b) the compensation for the inconvenience would be approaching £3m per game a next year. Right now, getting dicked about in the Championship gets the club £100k.

We are dicked about for a pittance to fill a gap in Sky's schedules when BT are showing an EPL game at the same time.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
I fail to see the connection. The games being moved about affects the fans and their plans, the payments from TV revenue affect the Club's finances. Two separate issues.

The games being moved affects the fans and their plans and hence the club's fans/customers and finances. The compensation for being moved to satisfy the collective bargain struck by the football league is marginal when measured against fan disgruntlement (especially away fans), loss of match day revenue and atmosphere. It could also have a detrimental effect on season ticket renewals.

If these two issues aren't directly linked then they're pretty well adjacent - especially outside of the Premier League.

Ron Manager

Oooh, wasn't it?
Sep 14, 2015
Lentil Alley
The games being moved affects the fans and their plans and hence the club's fans/customers and finances. The compensation for being moved to satisfy the collective bargain struck by the football league is marginal when measured against fan disgruntlement (especially away fans), loss of match day revenue and atmosphere. It could also have a detrimental effect on season ticket renewals.

If these two issues aren't directly linked then they're pretty well adjacent - especially outside of the Premier League.

I am in no way claiming to be special or immune to this, but fortunately my away games and home (ST) matches have not been affected once by scheduling changes. I would suggest that, on the whole, this may be the case. It is unfortunate that some are inconvenienced, and it riles me that a broadcaster has such an influence.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
One of the reasons foreigners lap up the EPL is the noisy packed stadiums. If the games were played in front of half-empty grounds their interest would drop like a stone.

I think the TV companies are already quite good at making half empty grounds look and sound like cauldrons of passion.

DanRedman

Mar 18, 2014
Should be some sort of compensation from the TV companies to the clubs, however they get away with it in the small print. Or, remove the part of the broadcasting law which prohibits broadcasting 3pm games. Football will and always be on TV around the world, so let them broadcast 3pm games to allow fans to still attend, instead of Friday or Monday evenings. Don't get me started on Thursday evening games!

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
JUST because its in the T&C's does not mean the club will automatically win a court case. As an extreme hypothetical, if they put in the T&C's "we may decide to kill you", this would not absolve them of murder.

They've moved a third of home fixtures for TV games and I think there is a definite case for compensation considering the sheer volume of games moved not because of weather, or cup games, but for the irrelevance of showing the game on TV, and there may well be courts who think that the club should make some kind of refund - especially because the club is profiting from the move

Sound a bit like suing a food manufacturer because an item you brought and consumed unexpectedly contained nuts despite the claimant knowing about there being a warning on the packet saying that it may contain nuts - would a claimant succeed in this one?

You are aware of the possibility of a game being moved beforehand so why do you think that you would be able to win a case where this actually happened and a game was moved (as you were forewarned could happen?) the club, by giving fans as much notice as possible could be seen as doing everything they can to lessen the impact of the switch in date

And what about if a game is moved but not because of tv coverage? should the fans demand compensation due to bad weather or how about (in our case) a university open day meaning that we play in the evening rather than at 3pm?

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Should be some sort of compensation from the TV companies to the clubs, however they get away with it in the small print. Or, remove the part of the broadcasting law which prohibits broadcasting 3pm games. Football will and always be on TV around the world, so let them broadcast 3pm games to allow fans to still attend, instead of Friday or Monday evenings. Don't get me started on Thursday evening games!

That would have a detrimental effect on so many clubs and at all levels of the football pyramid from the top flight to grass roots as fans stay away from live games at that time to watch a match on tv (who would go to Lewes vs Farnham when you have Arsenal playing Man Utd on tv at the same time?)

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Been saying the same for years. Football has been eating it's cake far too long. Bosman equivalent for supporters is coming...not if but when. I'll be delighted. A high court judge will rule in favour and the floodgates will open requiring clubs to reduce the contempt and not hide behind thems the rules. Once the rules said players were owned by clubs.

Where do I sign up to this revolution? It's coming...no doubt.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Sound a bit like suing a food manufacturer because an item you brought and consumed unexpectedly contained nuts despite the claimant knowing about there being a warning on the packet saying that it may contain nuts - would a claimant succeed in this one?

You are aware of the possibility of a game being moved beforehand so why do you think that you would be able to win a case where this actually happened and a game was moved (as you were forewarned could happen?) the club, by giving fans as much notice as possible could be seen as doing everything they can to lessen the impact of the switch in date

And what about if a game is moved but not because of tv coverage? should the fans demand compensation due to bad weather or how about (in our case) a university open day meaning that we play in the evening rather than at 3pm?

Ifs buts and poppycock. The case for contempt is weakening. Fans United. Shall never be defeated! Archer OUT! :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here