Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Dunk sending off

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
No debate the right decision unfortunately. I sit in ESU he clearly used 2 hands to shove the bloke in the chest - he was on a yellow already therefore he was sent off . Idiot.

You see it all the time when a player is trying to get the ball back from someone who is deliberately trying to stop them and keep the ball to waste more time (like the keeper stopping a player retrieving the ball after a goal when the scoring side still need more goals) - No one is ever booked for that and if anything is done by the ref, it's usually just a talking to at most. Guess the ref took it as retaliation rather than for what it actually was and sent him off.

You can't blame Dunk for trying to get the game restarted quickly when we are losing and trying to get a point or 3 from the match. Had he taken his time to get the ball back and restart, no doubt there would be people complaining on here about his slowness in restarting the match seeing as we are behind, etc.... (no urgency = doesn't care or whatever rubbish they would interpret it as)

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
The whole officiating team were awful. That lino should have waved for the foul on Dunk which resulted in him shoving the Brentford player.

Just dire today and it keeps happening. There has to be some sort of adjudication for match officials. They're awful, this season especially.
They've been marginally better this season than the last couple IMHO.

You see it all the time when a player is trying to get the ball back from someone who is deliberately trying to stop them and keep the ball to waste more time (like the keeper stopping a player retrieving the ball after a goal when the scoring side still need more goals) - No one is ever booked for that and if anything is done by the ref, it's usually just a talking to at most. Guess the ref took it as retaliation rather than for what it actually was and sent him off.

You can't blame Dunk for trying to get the game restarted quickly when we are losing and trying to get a point or 3 from the match. Had he taken his time to get the ball back and restart, no doubt there would be people complaining on here about his slowness in restarting the match seeing as we are behind, etc.... (no urgency = doesn't care or whatever rubbish they would interpret it as)

Agree completely - his first booking he took one for the team and his second was harsh in the extreme caused by lino failing to flag for the foul and their player taking the ball away preventing us taking a quick free quick - common sense would have been a word with both players but keeping true to form ref used it as an opportunity to keep the limelight on himself - tosser!!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The ref, Andy Davies, is a mostly League Two ref (this was his 11th Championship match in four years).

http://www.football-lineups.com/referee/2328/

I was talking to someone after the game who in turn was sitting next to the referee's assesssor during the game. He was, apparently, furiously making copious notes including watching some of the match with mouth agape, eyes-closed-shaking-head-slowly at some of the decisions and control. Notwithstanding the Dunk second yellow, there were times like advantage being played for an offside being given, a Brighton free-kick which he allowed to have happen while the ball was still bouncing, allowing the game to continue while the trainer was on the pitch to get to CMS. While he is supposed to be professional and discrete with his work, his mannerism gave away - she said - a whole host of concerns at the ref's officiating.

Of course, this is just her take on it, but I don't think anyone felt the ref had a good game yesterday.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
As much as I admire Dunky he was foolish that he was on one yellow and then raised his arms at their player...instant yellow thus sending off...our players have got to realise that retaliation is not on.
Apart from one mistake thought Ince played well and so unfortunately did their goalkeeper...some of those shots he saved were unbelievable.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
All that happened was that the ref went straight for the second yellow because Dunk pushed the bloke over - he then realised or remembered that Dunk had already been booked so had no option but to send him off so to sort of try and balance it up a bit he then booked the Brentford player to cover his butt.

The whole incident was nothing but because Dunk pushed him the ref had to book him

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I agree with Hughton. Also, it's clealry not violent conduct and there's no rule to say a 'push' is an automatic yellow. If it was a push when tustling for a header would be a yellow - see my point? Not just saying it, but I think some posters aren't using the rules when automatically saying it was a second yellow?

Anyway that aside their greasy cheating ******* went down like a sack of shit!

Boss Hughton said: “Of course I’m aware he was already on a yellow card.

“But I think if you look at the incident and you game-manage the incident, then it’s a free-kick for us and we want to get on with the game.

“It’s a push, it’s nowhere near head height and I just felt the referee could have managed it a little bit better. He might say something different.”

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
He gave the ref a choice. Any sensible ref would have taken the situation into account (bearing in mind the player was on a yellow and we were losing, the player was time wasting and was booked for it) and warned him. This was no sensible ref, someone who doesn't know how to play the advantage, except ironically against the booked player 5 mins later - presumably to duck out of another red.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
At the time I thought there was minimal or no contact and their player made the most of it. Talking to someone who was better placed and more sober they reckoned nailed on yellow.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
I agree with Hughton. Also, it's clealry not violent conduct and there's no rule to say a 'push' is an automatic yellow. If it was a push when tustling for a header would be a yellow - see my point? Not just saying it, but I think some posters aren't using the rules when automatically saying it was a second yellow?

Anyway that aside their greasy cheating ******* went down like a sack of shit!

Boss Hughton said: “Of course I’m aware he was already on a yellow card.

“But I think if you look at the incident and you game-manage the incident, then it’s a free-kick for us and we want to get on with the game.

“It’s a push, it’s nowhere near head height and I just felt the referee could have managed it a little bit better. He might say something different.”

Chris agrees with me then. :)

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
As far as I remember, there were three defenders back to deal with the Brentford player, Dunk didn't have to make the first challenge so it's wrong to say "he was taking one for the team". It was a rash, unnecessary challenge.

The second, Juta had the ball at his feet and Dunk ran over and pushed him to get the ball, there wasn't really a chance for Juta to delay the restart before the push, so it's a little but of a stretch to try to defend the push because of Juta's delaying tactics. If Dunk had tried to get the ball and Juta had moved it away from him, there might be an argument. Yes, Juta went to ground easily, but that doesn't make the unnecessary shove to the chest any less of a yellow.

Dunk was rash and stupid, twice. There can be no arguments against it.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The ref, Andy Davies, is a mostly League Two ref (this was his 11th Championship match in four years).

http://www.football-lineups.com/referee/2328/

I was talking to someone after the game who in turn was sitting next to the referee's assesssor during the game. He was, apparently, furiously making copious notes including watching some of the match with mouth agape, eyes-closed-shaking-head-slowly at some of the decisions and control. Notwithstanding the Dunk second yellow, there were times like advantage being played for an offside being given, a Brighton free-kick which he allowed to have happen while the ball was still bouncing, allowing the game to continue while the trainer was on the pitch to get to CMS. While he is supposed to be professional and discrete with his work, his mannerism gave away - she said - a whole host of concerns at the ref's officiating.

Of course, this is just her take on it, but I don't think anyone felt the ref had a good game yesterday.

Very interesting. It was the most annoyed I'd got with the officials in a long time. This morning I was blaming the beer.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
As far as I remember, there were three defenders back to deal with the Brentford player, Dunk didn't have to make the first challenge so it's wrong to say "he was taking one for the team". It was a rash, unnecessary challenge.

The second, Juta had the ball at his feet and Dunk ran over and pushed him to get the ball, there wasn't really a chance for Juta to delay the restart before the push, so it's a little but of a stretch to try to defend the push because of Juta's delaying tactics. If Dunk had tried to get the ball and Juta had moved it away from him, there might be an argument. Yes, Juta went to ground easily, but that doesn't make the unnecessary shove to the chest any less of a yellow.

Dunk was rash and stupid, twice. There can be no arguments against it.

He was a bit stupid in the moment twice of course but there can be plenty of arguing angainst the second yellow.. how often do we see players shoving opponents away who are trying to time waste? And how often are they booked for it?

Answered are 1) all the time 2) rarely

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
He gave the ref a choice. Any sensible ref would have taken the situation into account (bearing in mind the player was on a yellow and we were losing, the player was time wasting and was booked for it) and warned him. This was no sensible ref, someone who doesn't know how to play the advantage, except ironically against the booked player 5 mins later - presumably to duck out of another red.

Oh you've summed him up perfectly mate - glad you saw that 'advantage' after Jota had swiped out 5 mins later. If Dunks was a second yellow than that one was most certainly. Spineless moron of a ref!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
He was a bit stupid in the moment twice of course but there can be plenty of arguing angainst the second yellow.. how often do we see players shoving opponents away who are trying to time waste? And how often are they booked for it?

Answered are 1) all the time 2) rarely

Answer 1) when the opponent is clearly trying to stop the player getting the ball and jostling back. (not the case yesterday, Juta was actually in the process of tapping the ball back to where it was supposed to be when Dunk pushes him) 2) any time the push is deemed reckless, in line with the laws of the game.

That's not every time, but in circumstances such as yesterday, it is.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here