Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Two and a half seasons in. Is the Amex developing a 'character'?

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I think the south should become the home end looks bigger and much more pleasing on the eye. for segregation it would be easier and back in the day we would sing can you here the north stand sing no no. Pretty much like now I'm afraid. I really think this will happen and it would improve the atmosphere.

Hopefully leading to lots of chants of:

We are Brighton
WE ARE BRIGHTON
SUPER BRIGHTON
FROM THE SOUTH (stand)
We are Brighton
Super Brighton
We are Brighton from the South (stand)

I like it :THUMBSUP:

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I think the south should become the home end looks bigger and much more pleasing on the eye. for segregation it would be easier and back in the day we would sing can you here the north stand sing no no. Pretty much like now I'm afraid. I really think this will happen and it would improve the atmosphere.

I expect they would have made the North Stand the away end if it wasn't for the history of the Goldstone and especially the North stand housing our noisier fans and being lookde back on with such affection. I expect though, had we not got used to a side on view at Withdean, then many of the singers who now sit in the East and West stands would have located themselves in the North and it would have been noisier than it has been.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Living just a five minute walk from the Goldtsone and a short drive to Withdean I was spoilt and now the whole match experience has changed dramatically. Still getting used to the trains, queues and the fact that it is more of a day out rather than an afternoon. That's not a moan- just a fact.

Think yerself lucky you haven't spent the last 30 years or so with a round trip of (at least) 100 miles for every home game! :wink:

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I love the Amex, but it's a fact that the North Stand is too small as home ends go. And as noisily as North Standers sing, there aren't enough of them. But short of extending the seating deck back into that area of atmosphere-sapping blank wall and losing some office space, or converting it to standing, it's too late to do much about it now.

blue2

Apr 21, 2010
I still find that first glimpse of the stadium as you swing round the final bend on the A27 absolutely breathtaking. Is that "character"?
The concourses are among the best anywhere and occasionally so are the fans. We dont maintain it long enough though so above all else the "character" is a mix of moments of excitement interspersed with the generally quiet and sometimes sedate.....rather like the town in fact :thumbsup:

Edit: "from west centre"

This is my view west lower

The Upper Library

May 23, 2013
The idea of character is fairly subjective........for me it is not just about the building or even the football but who you go to matches with and those around you. I sit with my 10 year old son and 72 year old dad ......for me that is something special.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Its no more loud or quiet than any other ground in The Championship, in fact its probably the best ground for atmosphere when full and both sets of fans are going for it, I really do wonder what peoples experience of football atmospheres is sometimes

Spot on. It's a superb ground for atmosphere, especially for a new ground. People have insanely rose tinted memories of the Goldstone.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Spot on. It's a superb ground for atmosphere, especially for a new ground. People have insanely rose tinted memories of the Goldstone.

Could the lack of an external campaign be a factor?

The last few seasons at the Goldstone we had the anti Bellotti and Archer protests, at Withdean we had years of campaigning for a new ground and now we are there we haven't got as much motivation to be noisy because there is no figure of hate to aim the noise at?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I expect they would have made the North Stand the away end if it wasn't for the history of the Goldstone and especially the North stand housing our noisier fans and being lookde back on with such affection. I expect though, had we not got used to a side on view at Withdean, then many of the singers who now sit in the East and West stands would have located themselves in the North and it would have been noisier than it has been.

The south stand was originally going to be a home stand. The stand enjoys some excellent disabled facilities and viewing points which Martin Perry enthusiastically explained to me once ......but then frustratingly they made it an away end.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Very much this. Some of the posts I read about the Goldstone are quite comical.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I love the Amex, but it's a fact that the North Stand is too small as home ends go. And as noisily as North Standers sing, there aren't enough of them. But short of extending the seating deck back into that area of atmosphere-sapping blank wall and losing some office space, or converting it to standing, it's too late to do much about it now.

The offices above the NS are used as a classroom for the scholars, probably amongst other things, maybe the new academy will have the facilities for this, so perhaps the NS could be extended when we reach the Prem.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The offices above the NS are used as a classroom for the scholars, probably amongst other things, maybe the new academy will have the facilities for this, so perhaps the NS could be extended when we reach the Prem.

I've been in the offices above the north stand and they are private offices for Perry & Barber etc where the windows are, and an open plan office further back for the rest of admin staff. There is a conference type room with a glass wall but that is towards the west side where the stairs and lift are situated.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Its no more loud or quiet than any other ground in The Championship, in fact its probably the best ground for atmosphere when full and both sets of fans are going for it, I really do wonder what peoples experience of football atmospheres is sometimes

I have said many times in the 2 1/2 we have been there, as someone who travals around the ground during games the noise levels differ greatly on where you are. At the same game the north is very loud in places and at the same time in other parts of the ground are very quiet.
A common quote from someone in the north is " couldn't hear anything from the Away end" but go to parts of the east or west and its the opersite you only hear the the away end and nothing from the north.

In the away end at half time I get asked frequently " why don't your lot sing"
Do wind currents affect noise travel?
But it appears the Amex is quite unique with the noise issues.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Games which showed true character: Doncaster, Portsmouth, Palace, Liverpool, Sunderland, Newcastle, Burnley, Millwall, Southampton, Arsenal and that 5 minuet spell verses Bolton. Other games have been a bit dead at times... But I feel a 'character' has been show, and is probably progressing into something more consistent now. Games like Barnsley and Derby this year were dire though, and those were the games were fans were needed.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Ok the crowd may be quiet sometimes but at least we haven't resorted to a drum or brass band. God forbid we ever do.

It is so tragic to go to away grounds where despite having a drum it still drowns out the sound of the home fans:lolol:.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I've been in the offices above the north stand and they are private offices for Perry & Barber etc where the windows are, and an open plan office further back for the rest of admin staff. There is a conference type room with a glass wall but that is towards the west side where the stairs and lift are situated.

The scholars classroom overlooks the pitch.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The scholars classroom overlooks the pitch.

As I said the offices where the windows overlook the pitch, as does the new tv studio. The classroom is probably there as well but I haven't been in that part. I have been in the other areas.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
It also probably has to do with the cost of where you are too. The North and WSU were priced competitively, whereas the East and WSL were a bit more pricey, so perhaps attracted a different class of fan ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here